HBO Documentary "Hacking Democracy" on TODAY

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
On HBO (Thursday) at 9:00 p.m., EST, 6:00 p.m. Pacific. On again tonight on HBO West at midnight Eastern, 9:00 p.m. PST. On again several more times over the next few days.

Diebold is bent about it, so it may be pretty good.

Edit: Here's the rest of the schedule for November and December (all times Eastern):

Mon 11/06 02:10 AM - HBO Latino East
Mon 11/06 05:10 AM - HBO Latino West

Tue 11/07 09:00 AM - HBO East, HBO Latino East
Tue 11/07 12:00 PM - HBO West, HBO Latino West

Tue 11/07 06:30 PM - HBO East, HBO Latino East
Tue 11/07 09:30 PM - HBO West, HBO Latino West

Tue 11/07 11:45 PM - HBO2 East
Wed 11/08 02:45 AM - HBO2 West

Fri 11/10 06:30 PM - HBO2 East
Fri 11/10 09:30 PM - HBO2 West

Mon 11/13 12:30 PM - HBO East, HBO Latino East
Mon 11/13 03:30 PM - HBO West, HBO Latino West

Mon 11/13 10:00 PM - HBO East
Tue 11/14 01:00 AM - HBO West

Wed 11/15 07:30 PM - HBO Signature East
Wed 11/15 10:30 PM - HBO Signature West

Thu 11/16 03:00 AM - HBO2 East
Thu 11/16 06:00 AM - HBO2 West

Sat 11/18 06:00 PM - HBO East, HBO Latino East
Sat 11/18 09:00 PM - HBO West, HBO Latino West

Mon 11/20 06:50 AM - HBO Latino East
Mon 11/20 09:50 AM - HBO Latino West

Tue 11/21 12:00 PM - HBO Signature East
Tue 11/21 03:00 PM - HBO Signature West

Fri 11/24 06:30 PM - HBO Signature East
Fri 11/24 09:30 PM - HBO Signature West

Mon 11/27 01:15 AM - HBO East, HBO Latino East
Mon 11/27 04:15 AM - HBO West, HBO Latino West

Wed 11/29 09:00 AM - HBO Signature East
Wed 11/29 12:00 PM - HBO Signature West

Wed 11/29 11:15 PM - HBO Signature East
Thu 11/30 02:15 AM - HBO Signature West

Sat 12/02 06:45 AM - HBO2 East
Sat 12/02 09:45 AM - HBO2 West

Sat 12/09 09:30 AM - HBO Signature East
Sat 12/09 12:30 PM - HBO Signature West

Sun 12/17 01:45 PM - HBO Signature East
Sun 12/17 04:45 PM - HBO Signature West

Tue 12/19 07:30 PM - HBO Signature East
Tue 12/19 10:30 PM - HBO Signature West

Tue 12/26 03:00 PM - HBO2 East
Tue 12/26 06:00 PM - HBO2 West

randym431

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2003
Yes this should make everyone feel good about voting next Wednesday. (forgive me.... Karl Rove made me say that)

Here in my state they were testing touch machines. This was in the news here also. Seemed when folks picked the democrat, all looked well. But in the final step, the summary screen, the republican was selected. Testers had to re adjust their vote several times until their democratic choice stuck in the summary page. This ONLY happened when picking the democrat (machine switching it to the republican).

GOOOOOOOD LUCK AMERICA!

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
God, the background "music" is irritating, even overtaking the narration's volume at times.

Well, the music has finally stopped.

And it feels too much like an infomercial, with the gloomy music and B&W imagery.

The information coming through though is rather disturbing.

One Congressman said something about a recount instilling the seeds of doubt in the electoral process.
So we want accountability, and accurate vote counting? How dare we?

Jun 27, 2005
I'm trying to follow this at work. What did they pull out of the trash in Florida? What were those register tapes?

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
I'm trying to follow this at work. What did they pull out of the trash in Florida? What were those register tapes?

they were poll tapes. they showed the results from each machine i believe, they compared some of those to the copied tapes( county gave unsigned copies) and the original from the trash did not always matched the copy.

how about Ohio tampering with the cards provided for the recount.

this is very disturbing information to say the least

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: randym431
Yes this should make everyone feel good about voting next Wednesday. (forgive me.... Karl Rove made me say that)

Here in my state they were testing touch machines. This was in the news here also. Seemed when folks picked the democrat, all looked well. But in the final step, the summary screen, the republican was selected. Testers had to re adjust their vote several times until their democratic choice stuck in the summary page. This ONLY happened when picking the democrat (machine switching it to the republican).

GOOOOOOOD LUCK AMERICA!

That is ****** frightening .. really

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: bctbct

they were poll tapes. they showed the results from each machine i believe, they compared some of those to the copied tapes( county gave unsigned copies) and the original from the trash did not always matched the copy.

how about Ohio tampering with the cards provided for the recount.

this is very disturbing information to say the least

And it is apparently illegal to try to dispose of voting records for quite a number of years after the election.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
as soon as i saw this topic posted i rushed over to the kitchen and nuked a bag of popcorn because i was expecting to watch a really comical spin-fest from the bush/diebold supporters. i thought they'd attack this thread with the same gusto and glee that they went after the kerry post with. hmm, i wonder why not? ;) premature maybe?:(

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: tweaker2
as soon as i saw this topic posted i rushed over to the kitchen and nuked a bag of popcorn because i was expecting to watch a really comical spin-fest from the bush/diebold supporters. i thought they'd attack this thread with the same gusto and glee that they went after the kerry post with. hmm, i wonder why not? ;) premature maybe?:(

They're saving up. It's going to be good. Keep the popcorn warm.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: tweaker2

I can't think of a single person on this board (left/right R/D) who has supported paperless balloting. I've rolled my eyes at the conspiracy theories but I've always said that a paperless system is asking for trouble.

It sucks that I'm at work. I have to change the TVs over to the Louiville/WV game when customers come in. I'm missing it.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001

I can't think of a single person on this board (left/right R/D) who has supported paperless balloting. I've rolled my eyes at the conspiracy theories but I've always said that a paperless system is asking for trouble.

It sucks that I'm at work. I have to change the TVs over to the Louiville/WV game when customers come in. I'm missing it.

With it being possible to hack the memory cards and the executable software, would it not be possible to simply have the printout show whatever he voter just selected, while incorrectly incrementing the total vote count?

Someone in an older countered the idea of a paper trail with this kind of argument, that if we can't be sure that the electronic system itself is secure, a paper trail won't do much good. Doing a recount would require that everyone turn their papers back in.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Jeff7
With it being possible to hack the memory cards and the executable software, would it not be possible to simply have the printout show whatever he voter just selected, while incorrectly incrementing the total vote count?

Someone in an older countered the idea of a paper trail with this kind of argument, that if we can't be sure that the electronic system itself is secure, a paper trail won't do much good. Doing a recount would require that everyone turn their papers back in.
Generally, the voter does NOT keep the printed record. The voter verfies it immediately, then feeds it into an optical scanner (if that's the system in use) or puts it in a ballot box for safe keeping. The results are tabulated and reported electronically, but the paper ballot is available for random audits and recounts.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Generally, the voter does NOT keep the printed record. The voter verfies it immediately, then feeds it into an optical scanner (if that's the system in use) or puts it in a ballot box for safe keeping. The results are tabulated and reported electronically, but the paper ballot is available for random audits and recounts.

Assuming that the audits are in fact random. This HBO thing said that they weren't truly random. The only random I'd really trust would be if the source of randomness were from a random number generator.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Bumrush99
Makes me not want to vote...

Then you are feeding into exactly what the current authorities in power want. If you are really concerned, do an absentee ballot this time and write a letter (as opposed to a call or email) your Senators and Congress member and demand this system be actually, and honestly, reformed-NOW.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: International Machine Consortium
Heh. Vote early, vote often....

:)
I wish I could find it, it was reported of course on The Daily Show, some congressional voting thing, done behind closed doors. There turned out to be more votes cast than there were people attending. A "voting irregularity" they called it.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
On again today (Saturday) on HBO2 at noon Eastern, 9:00 a.m. Pacific, then on HBO2 West at 3:00 p.m. EST, noon Pacific.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Jeff7

I was referring to paper ballots where the voter manually marks their selection. The idea of getting a reciept is kind of silly for the reasons you just cited. And the idea of running a tape is equally problematic if the machine malfunctioned or was hacked. (To be honest I'm more worried about the machine crashing and losing its vote tally than I am about hackers - but it's possible)

Scanning paper ballots is the best solution. If there are any irregulrities or if a recount is needed you still have the original ballots available for manual verification.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I for one welcome "hackers" into the democratic process. My feeling is that anyone who is smart enough to hack the voting machines could probably do a better job of picking our leaders than the under informed goobers who vote now ;) Think about it, is having a teenager from Norway picking our government REALLY worse than having the "if you haven't done anything wrong, you don't have anything to worry about" crowd doing it?

I'm kind of joking, but I tend to think the fears of voting fraud are a little overblown. Yes, the machines were clearly designed by the Microsoft security department, but I'm not sure how realistic the threat is. That's not to say that using machines designed by people who have never heard of a buffer overflow is a GOOD idea, or that we don't need to do something to fix the problem (I suggest firing the Diebold engineers into the sun as a warning to the rest of these morons), but I don't think the threat is as likely as some people are making it out to be. In other words, address the issue but don't get your panties in a bunch about it. Hmm, that's kind of the like the approach to terrorism we need...

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Bump. On again this morning on HBO: 9:00 a.m. EST, 6:00 a.m. Pacific. On again on HBO West, noon Eastern, 9:00 a.m. Pacific.