Hawaii enacts state-level gun owner database

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
if you live in hawaii, congratulations, you're now on a watch list. the system will actively monitor whether you are eligible to possess/own firearms. perhaps we can extend this system to evaluate the necessity of other rights while we're at it /s

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/25/us/hawaii-gun-owner-database/

(CNN)While the issue of gun control has made little headway in Congress, Hawaii this week enacted a series of gun laws, one of which the governor says makes it the first state to put firearm owners into a database.

That database, which is called the "Rap Back" system, is operated by the FBI and would notify police when a gun owner is arrested for a crime anywhere in the United States.
"This will allow county police departments in Hawaii to evaluate whether the firearm owner may continue to legally possess and own firearms," the Hawaii governor's office said in a statement.

"This is about our community's safety and responsible gun ownership," Gov. David Ige in a statement. "This system will better enable our law enforcement agencies to ensure the security of all Hawaii residents and visitors to our islands."
Ige and the majority of the Hawaii state legislators are Democrats.

The NRA expressed its displeasure with the new state law tweeting: "Exercising constitutional rights in #Hawaii now gets you entered into a federal watchlist, er, database."
During the public comment process regarding the bill, opponent Quentin Kealoha asked: "Why are law-abiding citizens exercising their constitutional right being entered into a criminal database? Would you enter people exercising their right to free speech into a criminal database?"

Supporters countered that adding gun owners to the database was needed because the initial background check wasn't sufficient.
Maj. Richard Robinson from the Honolulu Police Department wrote that after the initial background check, there are no further checks on the gun owner.
"As a result, the county police departments have no way of knowing if a current Hawaii firearm owner has been convicted of a crime in another state that would prohibit him or her from owning a firearm," Robinson wrote in a letter to the State House in March. The new law would "in essence provide an ongoing background check on firearm owners to determine their eligibility to own and possess a firearm."

Two other gun laws in Hawaii

A second and separate gun measure signed into Hawaii state law Thursday prohibits offenders who have stalked or committed sexual assault from owning guns. At least 11 other states have some sort of laws restricting people who've been convicted of stalking from possessing guns.
That new law was praised by former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who was critically injured in a shooting, and her husband Mark Kelly. They are advocates for tighter gun laws.
"This is a major victory for common sense and another defeat for the gun lobby," they said in a statement from their political action committee, Americans for Responsible Solutions. Giffords and Kelly said the law covering stalkers and sexual-assault offenders "will help guns out of the hands of dangerous people, and make Hawaii a safer place to live."
The third new law requires gun owners to surrender their firearms and ammunition to the police if they've been disqualified to possess the weapons "due to a diagnosis of having a significant behavioral, emotional, or mental disorder, or due to emergency or involuntary admission to a psychiatric facility."
If the person does not voluntarily give up their arms, the police chief has permission to seize the weapons.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
I support the Hawaiian's right to overthrow their state government and declare them enemies of the Constitution. I'd like to see them physically removed from office, thrown in the ocean and told "if you can swim to mainland America you can live". All done with a trained unregistered and unapproved weapon enforcing this edict.

iheartphysremoval.jpg

Jaepheth

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2006
On the other hand; being an island and therefore less susceptible to gun availability in surrounding areas, this legislation will provide an interesting data point on the effects of this sort of gun control.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Zero shits given

How is this any different than recording the serial numbers of guns being sold? You want an AR-15? Knock yourself out, let me just right down the serial number so we know you aren't buying it for someone who isn't able to pass a background check.

Hell, people do that voluntarily so they can get warranty coverage.

Feb 4, 2009
Reminds me of the very, very smart engineer guy I met a few years ago. He's a friend of an acquaintance but he was the type you knew was extremely intelligent he spoke well, was knowledgeable in multiple subjects, was good at explaining complex solutions in simple terms. He's an admirable guy. Until the guns discussion arrived.
He was convinced Obama and other evil forces were going to confiscate guns first, then land and force relocations like China has done. He talked about various guns he owned, how he'd never surrender them, he kept them hidden in his house incase he was searched it wasn't the appropriate setting to challenge him but I would have liked to know how he was going to keep his arms private when in my state you need a gun permit, if the Gov was going to go ape shit crazy did he pay cash of all his guns and ammo because even if the local guys destroyed all the paper what about digital records, has his ID ever been scanned buying any guns? How is a short, over weight, not athletic with a respiratory problem engineer going to fight off young, fit military guys? How many people has he told about his hidden guns?
Again even if we make the big assumption that Obama wants to be king his plan had so many places it could fail it was shocking.

Last edited:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
As a licensed gun owner in Hawaii, I support this law, and so does all of my other gun owning friends who don't give a single whoop about it.....well, except for this one friend who's convinced the FBI and CIA are always in that van parked across the street from his apartment. I told him not to worry 'cuz his medical marijuana permit is legal and his friends in jail are well taken cared of.

Us older guys, we don't panic at the drop of a pin or when some nutcase with that look in their eye starts trying to alleviate their fears by infecting others with it.

Not gonna happen.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I support the Hawaiian's right to overthrow their state government and declare them enemies of the Constitution. I'd like to see them physically removed from office, thrown in the ocean and told "if you can swim to mainland America you can live". All done with a trained unregistered and unapproved weapon enforcing this edict.

iheartphysremoval.jpg

So, murder is the answer, right?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Obama has been very good for gun sales. I guess, being black., democratic, and a Muslim is excellent for terrifying paranoid delusional into hoarding ammo, buying guns by the boat, all of the stamped portions of tactical looking scary weapons to the point that prices are driven sky high by unavailability. And what have the ammo people done, for example, run their factories at full blast but add none to cover the demand. Fuckers. I'm having a hell of a time lining up a couple of hundred thousand 22LR 2 cent rounds because of the fear monger hoarder assholes.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Technically it's not murder if they die on their own.

Like saw.

Check out the site for the image-

I cried in the car today, and it felt good. I don’t typically see the future as a very bright thing. It’s fairly unlikely you listen to me for joy and elation, as my normal routine is to spout off about how terrible everything is and all the awful things we’ll have to do to fix it. The hopelessness of democracy, the dysgenic impacts of voodoo economics, the necessity of force to stop it all.

https://christophercantwell.com/2016/06/24/radical-agenda-ep159-hope/

And you thought the Bundy militia was whacked out...

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Check out the site for the image-

https://christophercantwell.com/2016/06/24/radical-agenda-ep159-hope/

And you thought the Bundy militia was whacked out...

I like this better

Many consider Hans Hermann Hoppe the greatest living libertarian thinker. Others think he is a fascist, racist, enemy of humanity, and those are the type of people we need to physically remove to make America great again.

In his book Democracy – The God That Failed, Hans wrote;

In a covenant…among proprietor and community tenants for the purpose of protecting their private property, no such thing as a right to free (unlimited) speech exists, not even to unlimited speech on one’s own tenant-property. One may say innumerable things and promote almost any idea under the sun, but naturally no one is permitted to advocate ideas contrary to the very covenant of preserving and protecting private property, such as democracy and communism. There can be no tolerance toward democrats and communists in a libertarian social order. They will have to be physically separated and removed from society. Likewise, in a covenant founded for the purpose of protecting family and kin, there can be no tolerance toward those habitually promoting lifestyles incompatible with this goal. They–the advocates of alternative, non-family and kin-centred lifestyles such as, for instance, individual hedonism, parasitism, nature-environment worship, homosexuality, or communism–will have to be physically removed from society, too, if one is to maintain a libertarian order.

(Emphasis Mine)

Now, a lot of people try to take this out of context to demonize Hoppe as some kind of bad guy. His advocates will of course point out that Hans is referring to a private community where rules are set by property owners, and thus any rules set are just by libertarian standards.

But until we live in a free society based on property and contracts, I see no reason to delay on the physical removal of Democrats and communists. It is not as if these people believe in any rights for any of us, so there is no reason for us to honor any rights for them. They have to be physically removed so that the rest of us can have peaceful and prosperous lives and get closer to that vision of a free society we hold so dear. - Chris Cantwell

FrankRamiro

Sep 5, 2012
Obama has been very good for gun sales. I guess, being black., democratic, and a Muslim is excellent for terrifying paranoid delusional into hoarding ammo, buying guns by the boat, all of the stamped portions of tactical looking scary weapons to the point that prices are driven sky high by unavailability. And what have the ammo people done, for example, run their factories at full blast but add none to cover the demand. Fuckers. I'm having a hell of a time lining up a couple of hundred thousand 22LR 2 cent rounds because of the fear monger hoarder assholes.

You think Hilary will do any different?

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015

https://www.wikiarms.com

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
A database of who is legally eligible to own firearms is no more dangerous than a list of those eligible to vote. The only problem I might have with these laws is in the description of the database in the first part of the article, where it says that the database is notified if you are arrested for a crime anywhere in the US. Arrested ≠ Guilty. Nobody should be going into a database like that unless they are convicted of a crime. Other than that, good job Hawaii.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You think Hilary will do any different?

I don't think you are reasoning properly here. People who make money making and selling guns cunningly create this kind of paranoia using whatever is at hand. Whatever is at hand isn't the agency here, it's cunning manipulating people's insanity to make money for themselves. You have simply been created to be insane for the profit of other people. Haven't you heard what clips that hold a large number of rounds will be worth for barter after the coming gun bans?. A thirty round clip 30 dollar clip will easily be worth 150 dollars. Run, Run to stock up while you can. Oh fuck, God love simpletons. Try to remember where you bury your stash. Heheehehe. Hot everybody does.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
A database of who is legally eligible to own firearms is no more dangerous than a list of those eligible to vote. The only problem I might have with these laws is in the description of the database in the first part of the article, where it says that the database is notified if you are arrested for a crime anywhere in the US. Arrested ≠ Guilty. Nobody should be going into a database like that unless they are convicted of a crime. Other than that, good job Hawaii.

While a person who is charged with a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty, sometimes a court will set conditions for release before trial that include surrendering any firearms that the accused owns. Hawaii will now be able to know if any of their gun-owning citizens have been charged in another state and have had such a condition imposed on them by the court.

As a gun owner I have no problem with this.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
While a person who is charged with a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty, sometimes a court will set conditions for release before trial that include surrendering any firearms that the accused owns. Hawaii will now be able to know if any of their gun-owning citizens have been charged in another state and have had such a condition imposed on them by the court.

The firearms fringe sees it all differently. They entertain the conspiracy theory that registration & databases are precursors to widespread confiscation.

It never will be that way unless we change the Constitution and we both know that won't happen.

All it really means is that gun owners need to keep their shit together if they want to remain gun owners.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003

So long as it is actively supervised by the courts, and a person's name is removed from the list after a not guilty verdict or charges being dropped, without action from the accused, I have no problem with it either.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
So long as it is actively supervised by the courts, and a person's name is removed from the list after a not guilty verdict or charges being dropped, without action from the accused, I have no problem with it either.

there are so many things which aren't clear though, arrested for what would be my first question...is it anything and you have to surrender your property?

What if you're wrongly arrested? then surrender and have to wait...how long, at what cost?

And how public will the database be?

Kwatt

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2000
As a licensed gun owner in Hawaii, I support this law, and so does all of my other gun owning friends who don't give a single whoop about it.....well, except for this one friend who's convinced the FBI and CIA are always in that van parked across the street from his apartment. I told him not to worry 'cuz his medical marijuana permit is legal and his friends in jail are well taken cared of.

Us older guys, we don't panic at the drop of a pin or when some nutcase with that look in their eye starts trying to alleviate their fears by infecting others with it.

Not gonna happen.

If Hawaii reports to the FBI that your friend has a state issued "medical marijuana permit". He won't pass a background check.

Don't know if Hawaii reports it or not. Some state do. Maybe all, I am not sure.