Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 78 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Enjoy getting vaccinated every 6 months. I am done getting anything above what i got.

I'm trying to think of something this important that takes less effort than swinging by Walgreens and getting a shot once or twice a year and I'm drawing a blank.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Enjoy getting vaccinated every 6 months. I am done getting anything above what i got.

Not a big deal as far as convenience. It's like getting the flu shot twice a year. I already get blood drawn for tests several times a year. Besides, my wife is immunocompromised and her 93 yo mother lives with us so I am not taking any chances. This won't last forever, maybe a couple of years. If stupid COVIDIOT antivaxxers would get their heads out of their asses and get vaccinated it would probably slow down sooner.

• Haha
Reactions: weblooker2021

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Not a big deal as far as convenience. It's like getting the flu shot twice a year. I already get blood drawn for tests several times a year. Besides, my wife is immunocompromised and her 93 yo mother lives with us so I am not taking any chances. This won't last forever, maybe a couple of years. If stupid COVIDIOT antivaxxers would get their heads out of their asses and get vaccinated it would probably slow down sooner.

It likely will last forever just like the common colds. Well not forever, just only as long as the human species exists most likely. I fully expect to be taking boosters every six months as long as I'm walking this planet.

Reactions: Homerboy

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It is kind of amazing how much he recouls at the thought of getting a quick, easy, and free vaccine. As I saw someone else say I used to feel the same way... when I was six.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Is there any truth to "mixing and matching" vaccines being better? Like if you got Pfizer the first time around, that the booster should then be Moderna? And vide versa?
I thought I read/heard something somewhere. I guess I could just Google it...

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Is there any truth to "mixing and matching" vaccines being better? Like if you got Pfizer the first time around, that the booster should then be Moderna? And vide versa?
From what I've read it's pretty simple - the rank is:
1) Moderna
2) Pfizer
3) J&J

Forget mixing and matching, just try to get them in that order of preference regardless of what you've had before.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Well here in Canada, we are case study for the world. We did 2 policy differences. We delayed our second doses to get as many first doses done first. And because of AZ controversy and shortage of vaccine, we did mix dosing. But recent studies have shown better results because of these two policies.

Reactions: Homerboy

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Well here in Canada, we are case study for the world. We did 2 policy differences. We delayed our second doses to get as many first doses done first. And because of AZ controversy and shortage of vaccine, we did mix dosing. But recent studies have shown better results because of these two policies.

Great read. Doesn't specifically answer the question on the boosters (which is addressed in the article) but damn interesting read nonetheless. Thanks!

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Great read. Doesn't specifically answer the question on the boosters (which is addressed in the article) but damn interesting read nonetheless. Thanks!
Well we’re still administrating first and second doses 77/73 so boosters still a while away from consideration here. But if many Canadians have 3-4 months between doses, unlikely we’ll need boosters until spring of 22.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
I've been fully vaxxd, because I am fit with no underlying conditions I will probably wait for a booster until all the vulnerable groups and vocations with public exposure etc settle out b4 I get one..

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
From what I've read it's pretty simple - the rank is:
1) Moderna
2) Pfizer
3) J&J

Forget mixing and matching, just try to get them in that order of preference regardless of what you've had before.
The best option is to get what you can get. They all work well. But data is beginning to come out that mixing is better. That just makes sense, the more different exposures your immune system has, the more it has to focus on conserved viral areas that don't mutate much if at all.

"homologous boost increased neutralizing antibody titers 4.2-20-fold whereas heterologous boost increased titers 6.2-76-fold."

"But now, for the first time, researchers have shown that such ‘mix and match’ regimens are highly effective at preventing COVID-19 — roughly matching or even exceeding the performance of mRNA vaccines." Note: this study was with AstraZeneca not J&J.

"Remarkably, the median titer of these individuals was 3.9-fold higher than the median titer of 14 individuals vaccinated with BNT162b2 in a homologous regimen (709; range 305-1,806) suggesting a stronger humoral protection after a heterologous vaccination"

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The best option is to get what you can get. They all work well. But data is beginning to come out that mixing is better. That just makes sense, the more different exposures your immune system has, the more it has to focus on conserved areas that don't mutate much if at all.

"homologous boost increased neutralizing antibody titers 4.2-20-fold whereas heterologous boost increased titers 6.2-76-fold."

"But now, for the first time, researchers have shown that such ‘mix and match’ regimens are highly effective at preventing COVID-19 — roughly matching or even exceeding the performance of mRNA vaccines."
Correct me if I’m wrong but it looks to me like what I’m seeing in table 2 indicates that the superiority of the heterologous signal is coming almost entirely from the fact that a J&J booster for people who already got J&J does not appear to be very effective.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Correct me if I’m wrong but it looks to me like what I’m seeing in table 2 indicates that the superiority of the heterologous signal is coming almost entirely from the fact that a J&J booster for people who already got J&J does not appear to be very effective.

You are correct that getting J&J twice has a slightly lower antibody response than the other combinations. But, I think the "does not appear to be very effective" portion of your comment is a bit misleading. 86% of the people that got two J&J shots had at least a 2-fold increase (in other words: a 100 times increase) in antibody levels. And if you look at the individual points on your graph, it mostly is one person that brought the whole curve down. I agree that it is less effective to have two J&J shots, but it is still effective.

I think a slightly better graph to use is day 15 data on slide 9 here: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2021-10-20-21/04-COVID-Atmar-508.pdf That is from the same study that you linked (in fact that is slide 8). I think that slide 9 is both more clear and has more data (compares the antibody response for the wildtype, alpha variant, and delta variant). I use day 15 solely since they don't yet have all day 29 data in. The antibody response as measured by Area Under the Curve (AUC) is 30000 to 50000 on every single combination, except the dual J&J version. But the area under the curve is still about 10000 for that dual J&J combo at day 15. And more importantly, the confidence intervals for 8 out of 9 combinations overlap (except the dual J&J option). Meaning, that it is statistically undeterminable from that data if any combination is best (except the dual J&J option). That is why I started with just get what you can get. They all work. Dual J&J works a bit less, but it still works.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
So a little update on my post from a couple months ago about an employee of my wife who refused to get vaccinated. This is the one my wife offered $1000 bonus to get vaccinated, the one who is always complaining of being broke. Well she is largely apolitical but her parents are evidently Trumpie. She must have listened to them. Bad idea.

She has now tested positive and is symptomatic. She texted my wife and asked about her sick leave, of which she only has one week remaining. But she is symptomatic and you can remain contagious until up to two weeks after symptoms go away. So even if her symptoms clear up tomorrow, she still can't come back to work for two more weeks. Especially since my wife has an estate practice with elderly clients coming in daily. She is now worried about not getting paid because she needs the money.

So not only did she pass up a $1000 bonus, but now she's not getting paid for at least a week, more if her symptoms last longer than a few days. That's in addition to whatever serious health risks she is facing.

We told her the vaccination was safe. I personally e-mailed her several articles addressing every concern she had. Next time she should ask where her parents are getting their information from.

Reactions: Zorba

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
So a little update on my post from a couple months ago about an employee of my wife who refused to get vaccinated. This is the one my wife offered $1000 bonus to get vaccinated, the one who is always complaining of being broke. Well she is largely apolitical but her parents are evidently Trumpie. She must have listened to them. Bad idea.

She has now tested positive and is symptomatic. She texted my wife and asked about her sick leave, of which she only has one week remaining. But she is symptomatic and you can remain contagious until up to two weeks after symptoms go away. So even if her symptoms clear up tomorrow, she still can't come back to work for two more weeks. Especially since my wife has an estate practice with elderly clients coming in daily. She is now worried about not getting paid because she needs the money.

So not only did she pass up a $1000 bonus, but now she's not getting paid for at least a week, more if her symptoms last longer than a few days. That's in addition to whatever serious health risks she is facing.

We told her the vaccination was safe. I personally e-mailed her several articles addressing every concern she had. Next time she should ask where her parents are getting their information from.
That is not correct, according to CDC
"For most children and adults with symptomatic SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, infection, isolation, and precautions can be discontinued 10 days after symptom onset and after resolution of fever for at least 24 hours and improvement of other symptoms. "

"For people who are infected but asymptomatic (never develop symptoms), isolation and precautions can be discontinued 10 days after the first positive test. "
link

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
"For most children and adults with symptomatic SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, infection, isolation, and precautions can be discontinued 10 days after symptom onset and after resolution of fever for at least 24 hours and improvement of other symptoms. "

"For people who are infected but asymptomatic (never develop symptoms), isolation and precautions can be discontinued 10 days after the first positive test. "
link

Good to know. My wife found an article which suggested a longer period. Still, I think she's going to want to exceed that recommendation given the elderly clients she has in her office.

Reactions: pcgeek11

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Good to know. My wife found an article which suggested a longer period. Still, I think she's going to want to exceed that recommendation given the elderly clients she has in her office.
I understand (and applaud) your abundance of concern. However, I would advise your wife to be careful about forcing her employee to remain absent longer than the CDC guidlines, especially if she lacks enough sick leave to keep getting paid. I am not a lawyer, but I would think your wife could end up with legal problems if she enforces an unpaid absence past the CDC guidlines.

Edit: here is a link to the official CDC guidlines, updated 09.14.21. There is a case for 20 day quarantine, but only if the person was "severely ill". link

Last edited:

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Just got my Moderna booster yesterday. The Walgreens in our area are using the same brand for the booster as for the original vaccination. I am fine with that, since Moderna appears to be the most effective.

Have to admit, I was somewhat apprehensive about side effects for the booster, since my wife had a few problems (sore arm as usual, but also rash and reddened skin, quite tired) after her booster. Fortunately, I probably had less side effects after the booster than for any other of the shots. Worst I had with any of them was a sore arm, but it actually was less with the booster than with the original shots.

Edit: I am so frustrated with the "dont want to put something I dont know about into my body" anti vaxers. They better not be smokers, better not drink, better not eat processed food or commercial meat if they are so concerned about what they put into their bodies.

Reactions: Zorba

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008

link
My nephew got covid and had to be quarantined for 10 days. My sister didn't test positive so they told her to quarantine for 20 days. She has tested negative 3 times but she still has to quarantine. I guess they are assuming that she might catch covid on the 10th day of my nephew's quarantine so she has wait 10 more days after that date.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
My nephew got covid and had to be quarantined for 10 days. My sister didn't test positive so they told her to quarantine for 20 days. She has tested negative 3 times but she still has to quarantine. I guess they are assuming that she might catch covid on the 10th day of my nephew's quarantine so she has wait 10 more days after that date.
It seems pretty clear that per current CDC guidelines your sister only needed to quarantine for 10 days. It also seems very unlikely that someone will test positive from that infection after 10 days.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I understand (and applaud) your abundance of concern. However, I would advise your wife to be careful about forcing her employee to remain absent longer than the CDC guidlines, especially if she lacks enough sick leave to keep getting paid. I am not a lawyer, but I would think your wife could end up with legal problems if she enforces an unpaid absence past the CDC guidlines.

Edit: here is a link to the official CDC guidlines, updated 09.14.21. There is a case for 20 day quarantine, but only if the person was "severely ill". link

Well, she has an average of two 80+ year old clients come into the office daily. That said, I showed her the CDC link last night and she likely won't keep her out much beyond. It says one day after cessation of symptoms. She may keep her out for three.

All of this remains academic while she still has symptoms, of course. This could be over in a day or two, or she could end up in the ICU for a month.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
COVID vaccines got nothing on the Shingrix vaccine as far as side effects. Looking at still red area on my arm from the vaccine on the 8th of October.