Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 64 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
While at Wally World yesterday, I noticed a lot of young people shopping in the store were wearing masks. Young men mostly oh say around 17 - 20. Maybe 16, I'm not good at age guessing.
Am I missing something here? As to why more young people are suddenly wearing masks in public? And at a restaurant with my father just last Sunday there was a table of oh say 10 young men around age 16 - 20 I'd guess and all of them were masked as well. They were either part of some group or sports team or maybe some religions thing being it was a Sunday early evening, but they were all wearing masks. When their food came they did remove their mask to eat but returned to the mask afterwards. I myself wasn't masked nor my dad because we've been vaxxed, and the waitress was not masked either.

Is something going on? Is it true that the covid variant is effecting the youth more so now than before? Is that it? I rarely see any people out in public wearing masks these days, but then we have the young people suddenly masking up. Just seems strange.

My son's buddy wears a mask when he's in public because he's not vaccinated. I asked why, and the reply was the if everyone else is vaccinated, he won't need to be. I saw a large group of college kids wearing masks at the pub. I casually asked what that was all about, and they said because they're not vaccinated, and insist it's their choice. I'm guessing that they're trying to make a statement (mommy's not in charge?), and I agree that it's their choice. I dropped it and went back to what I was doing.

I personally feel that a free vaccine to help out others (even if it's just a show of solidarity) is a good thing, but it seem people have other thoughts on this? If the scare tactics assaulting everyone from every angle would just stop, this likely will sort itself out faster. A person in my church is terrified of the vaccine...and terrified of COVIID.

Sadly funny when the cure and the illness are treated the same.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
My son's buddy wears a mask when he's in public because he's not vaccinated. I asked why, and the reply was the if everyone else is vaccinated, he won't need to be. I saw a large group of college kids wearing masks at the pub. I casually asked what that was all about, and they said because they're not vaccinated, and insist it's their choice. I'm guessing that they're trying to make a statement (mommy's not in charge?), and I agree that it's their choice. I dropped it and went back to what I was doing.

I personally feel that a free vaccine to help out others (even if it's just a show of solidarity) is a good thing, but it seem people have other thoughts on this? If the scare tactics assaulting everyone from every angle would just stop, this likely will sort itself out faster. A person in my church is terrified of the vaccine...and terrified of COVIID.

Screw em. Covid is hitting that stupid group all over the place. Weed em out I say.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Sadly, Republican politicians and right wing media personalities have decided for whatever reason, be it political or monetary, that lying about the vaccines is good for them personally. It's morally reprehensible, but these people are mostly con artists anyway so it's not like this is new to them.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

And why is your church member terrified of the vaccine?

I find nothing amusing about a cure that has virtually 0 odds of harm being treating the same as a virus that has even a slim potential for death and a reasonable chance of long-term complications

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
Sadly, Republican politicians and right wing media personalities have decided for whatever reason, be it political or monetary, that lying about the vaccines is good for them personally. It's morally reprehensible, but these people are mostly con artists anyway so it's not like this is new to them.
The anti-vaxxers led the way for this poor behavior to be acceptable. Now people are using that established behavior for COVID...plenty of blame to go around
And why is your church member terrified of the vaccine?

I find nothing amusing about a cure that has virtually 0 odds of harm being treating the same as a virus that has even a slim potential for death and a reasonable chance of long-term complications
They are worried because "FaceBook" says that old people get blood clots from the vaccine. I pointed out that using a reasonable assumption that old people are MORE at risk of complications from ANY illness, that the vaccine is a good thing. I'm not overly social, so that was as far as I got.

The humor is black, like we laugh at the Black Knight in Monty Python's Holy Grail. Not very funny, but how they see it is funny.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The anti-vaxxers led the way for this poor behavior to be acceptable. Now people are using that established behavior for COVID...plenty of blame to go around
While I agree the anti-vaxxers paved the way, they were always a fringe group. This is different.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I feel everyone not vaccinated by now has made there choice.

I for one, respect their choice to die or be permanently crippled for life.

I find it sad that I will be saddled with the healthcare costs of dealing with this problem for decades to come. However, I also feel it is important not to infringe on their freedom to inflict crippling pain and suffering onto the rest of their life. Everyone of sane mind should be allowed to choose how they die.

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
While I agree the anti-vaxxers paved the way, they were always a fringe group. This is different.
They're (anti-vaxxers) still around. I pity/pitied their plight (autism is scary to a parent, and difficult to deal with). The science to back the claims just isn't there. The media provided them a platform long after vaccine/autism link was disproven (for ratings I'd surmise).

"If it bleeds, it reads" was a slogan I'd heard from a journalist buddy in college. He may be right, but to me it feels morally vacant in many instances.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
They're (anti-vaxxers) still around. I pity/pitied their plight (autism is scary to a parent, and difficult to deal with). The science to back the claims just isn't there. The media provided them a platform long after vaccine/autism link was disproven (for ratings I'd surmise).

"If it bleeds, it reads" was a slogan I'd heard from a journalist buddy in college. He may be right, but to me it feels morally vacant in many instances.

Meanwhile Facebook, dumb media orgs, and memes for morons is doing it's fine work in making people loudly and proudly stupider.

Gotta love the comments. Hope Cole Beasley finds the post and can provide his vast medical insight.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
New question....
Have you gotten your "third" vaccine shot ?????
Do you want one?

Myself, I do and will after the recommended eight week waiting period from the initial vaccination. I think a booster is a good and sound idea. I realized if I wait the eight weeks, that will be about the same time when I am due for my yearly flu shot, so I hope getting the two shots close together won't turn me into a junkie. :p

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
New question....
Do you want one?

Myself, I do and will after the recommended eight week waiting period from the initial vaccination. I think a booster is a good and sound idea. I realized if I wait the eight weeks, that will be about the same time when I am due for my yearly flu shot, so I hope getting the two shots close together won't turn me into a junkie. :p

Is there not a question as to whether it's a good use of the vaccine supply to give booster shots to people in rich countries, when there are still vast numbers of people entirely unvaccinated in poorer countries that are being hit badly by the virus?

Reactions: uclaLabrat

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I'll get mine mid-December this year per the 8 month waiting period. This delta variant seems to be a pretty nasty strain. Can't imagine what the next variant is capable of considering how there's still a whole lot of folks refusing to get vaccinated of whom will make the next variant possible.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Is there not a question as to whether it's a good use of the vaccine supply to give booster shots to people in rich countries, when there are still vast numbers of people entirely unvaccinated in poorer countries that are being hit badly by the virus?
Transportation and logistics are a huge barrier. I read an article not more than 2 weeks ago about how some African countries were receiving expired vaccines on account of long shipping times. The people did not trust the vaccines since they were expired, so the vaccines were ultinately destroyed to maintain public confidence.

It's a really shitty situation all around. Personally, I'm of the mind that we should develop a global logistics system in response, because I doubt this will be the last time a deadly virus spreads around the globe.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
I'll get mine mid-December this year per the 8 month waiting period. This delta variant seems to be a pretty nasty strain. Can't imagine what the next variant is capable of considering how there's still a whole lot of folks refusing to get vaccinated of whom will make the next variant possible.

you aren't wrong about Delta being nasty or another future variant being even worse, but unless the entire world has herd immunity, there will be more variants. American anti-vaxxers suck and make our situation worse, but they haven't been the source of any major variants so far.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
New question....
Do you want one?

You're clearly already a junkie. As I understand it, the boosters are recommended 8 months after the 2nd mRNA vaccine shot.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Do I *want* a third shot? Nope not really. But I'll follow whatever guidelines public health officials dishes out.
If they give me a lollipop I'm in. :rolleyes:
This point was made a couple days ago by a W.H.O. official, prominently in the news. Struck me as possible grandstanding, but whatever. I didn't dig into it. I'm going to get a booster ASAP if possible. I'm at risk.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Transportation and logistics are a huge barrier. I read an article not more than 2 weeks ago about how some African countries were receiving expired vaccines on account of long shipping times. The people did not trust the vaccines since they were expired, so the vaccines were ultinately destroyed to maintain public confidence.

It's a really shitty situation all around. Personally, I'm of the mind that we should develop a global logistics system in response, because I doubt this will be the last time a deadly virus spreads around the globe.
Yes, I think transport and distribution of the MRNA vaccines will be pretty challenging to the developing world so I'm not sure distributing extra doses of them here is changing what the developing world gets that much.

Reactions: Pohemi and Muse

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yes, I think transport and distribution of the MRNA vaccines will be pretty challenging to the developing world so I'm not sure distributing extra doses of them here is changing what the developing world gets that much.

Companies are working on making mRNA vaccines more stable at higher temps. Pfizer and Moderna are both trying out freeze drying as an alternative.

Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Companies are working on making mRNA vaccines more stable at higher temps. Pfizer and Moderna are both trying out freeze drying as an alternative.
Even to be able to store them in "normal" freezers as opposed to the medical-grade deep freezers would help immensely, but storage method is not the sole hurdle of difficulty in many third-world regions. It wouldn't solve transportation issues, obviously, but would open up far more facilities to standards of storage for more than a day before the vaccines "spoil".

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Even to be able to store them in "normal" freezers as opposed to the medical-grade deep freezers would help immensely, but storage method is not the sole hurdle of difficulty in many third-world regions. It wouldn't solve transportation issues, obviously, but would open up far more facilities to standards of storage for more than a day before the vaccines "spoil".
I know pfizer (and I think also Moderna but no link) did stability studies at warmer temps and standard fridge/freezer storage is acceptable for certain lengths of time:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Since I have two conditions that pushed me toward the front of the line (2nd shot Feb 15th), I will strongly consider getting the third dose.
Getting doses out to small rural African townships is a serious logistical challenge. The last projection I saw was that it'll take till 2023 to get the majority of the world vaccinated.
Allot of time for new variants to appear.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Kaiser sent an email yesterday about immunocompromised vaccines. Looks like they will be taking appointments for those people. They will be putting out some info for boosters in the future.

Dec 10, 2005

It's also why the single shot J&J vaccine is so important, and shouldn't be left in the dust of the mRNA shots. Easier logistics chain, and easier to administer the full dose since it requires only a single visit.

Reactions: Fenixgoon