Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 62 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
How often have you been hit from behind at a stop light?

In around 20 years of driving, my answer is 0.
You have way too much faith in drivers out there.

Driven in cars that have been rear ended at a stop light: 2 times
Sat in cars that have been rear ended at a stop light: 5 times
Witness other cars that got rear ended at a stop light: ~20 times
Avoided being rear ended at a stop light because I saw it coming: 6 times

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Thank you for taking that route. Both for your sake and for the sake of others.👍
I feel that he got the vaccine only for selfish reasons, primarily the fact that the Delta variant is kicking young peoples ass in addition to being much more transmittable.
I base this on...
Except again, it's a decision i am making regardless that it can harm others. So i ask again, what happened to my body my choice or it's only my body my choice unless as was put "harm others" in which case it's no longer my body my choice?
I am not vaccinated and proud of it. I did have Covid earlier without even knowing so I do have some protection against. I got no problem being called Covid idiot as it doesn't bother me. The reality is, each individual should have a right to make the decision for themselves if they will get vaccinated or not.
I only care about myself and i honestly don't give a crap about the society and what will benefit them. As someone that was asymptomatic Covid, it makes no sense for me to take the risk of getting vaccinated.
Leopards don't change their spots, and selfish self-centered pricks don't change either. But if the variant scared him into getting the vaccine, that's at least a plus.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I remember we went to Disney World as a child and we got hit in a toll booth line. My younger sister tried to start a standard transmission car without using the clutch and it hit the rear of my aunts vehicle. I was sitting an an intersection that was all black ice and some college kids came up behind me too quick. Luckily all those were fairly harmless and caused minimal to no damage.

Part of the reason why I posed the question to you is that I think you're missing the point of why I asked him when he posed the question to me. It isn't that it doesn't happen, but rather, the point is that given the number of times that you've stopped at a stop light compared to how often you've been hit (or have been in a vehicle that has been hit), the probability is very small. The point was to not focus on such small chances when the actions can cause bigger problems. As a Covid example, if the J&J vaccine was causing the issue in men instead of women, I still would've gotten the vaccine regardless (as long as they were giving it out still.) It's not that I'm trying to be haphazard with my health, but 15 out of 3-5 million (at the time) is quite small.

I don't want to derail this into too much of a driving thread, but the reason why I don't leave large gaps at lights is because when traffic starts getting congested, you can easily run into problems not having enough space between intersections for vehicles to fit. This can be exacerbated by excessive space or slow drivers. In regard to probability, how often does this happen? I'd argue it's quite common when traffic has built up around here. I've been stuck at a green light before because there's no room for me to move up. (That doesn't necessarily imply that a gap is the cause though.)

Ultimately, I'm putting the far more likely problem ahead in priority over the far less likely problem.

Reactions: balloonshark

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Anyone else either not feel comfortable or not willing to correct people at work when they give a bogus reason for not wanting to get the shot?

I’m really surprised by the people who are against it, as in I never would have taken them as the type. One woman who I thought was smarter started talking about how she hates California and wants to move to Florida and how cal osha sucks and how she doesn’t want to take some experimental vaccine.

It was just awkward and I just brushed it off.

What do people do in that situation?

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
I was rear-ended twice in 6 months each at stop signs while I was 16.
I haven't been hit but I have hit 3 people in 40 yrs of driving
Only one of those I'd consider my fault, driving too fast on ice

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I haven't been hit but I have hit 3 people in 40 yrs of driving
Only one of those I'd consider my fault, driving too fast on ice
Well funny story. The first time I was hit I had taken the car to school and it started snowing. My dad had told me not to take it due to the weather but my mom had said it was fine since the weather wasn’t supposed to get bad until the evening.

It if coursed snowed several inches during the day and kids in cars were sliding around at dismissal.

I was waiting at a stop sign for a car spinning it’s wheels in the intersection when a girl behind me locked up her brakes and accordioned my trunk.

That was my first accident…of the night.

20 minutes later I was going around a curve at about 10mph. The car fishtailed, I over compensated and ran over some lady’s mailbox. I went up to the house gave them my information and then finally made it home.

I gave my dad a call and said, “Uh Dad I got in an accident and uh the first one wasn’t my fault”

“What do you mean FIRST one…”
:p

Reactions: desy

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Anyone else either not feel comfortable or not willing to correct people at work when they give a bogus reason for not wanting to get the shot?

I’m really surprised by the people who are against it, as in I never would have taken them as the type. One woman who I thought was smarter started talking about how she hates California and wants to move to Florida and how cal osha sucks and how she doesn’t want to take some experimental vaccine.

Don't shit where you eat - whatever you do don't cause a ruckus. Aside from that it really depends on the situation and two people involved. If it's someone you closely work with and have had reasonable conversations in the past, or if you don't care about your personal relationship with them, you can try and engage/correct them in a non confrontational manner. If it's someone you work with a lot and you suspect they may not take kindly to your arguments it's best to leave it alone.

There are people at work that I can have intelligent conversations with despite us having some pretty large differences, and then there are some people that I just politely nod and smile to.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

One of my coworker who thoroughly understands risk analysis (I’m not being facetious here) decided that since he already got it he’s not getting the vaccine and can’t understand why they aren’t investing in breathing treatments rather than vaccines since that was all he and his wife required.

He’s also fairly religious, might have something to do with it.

Anyway. I was pretty shocked when he said that and really didn’t know what to say.

• Wow
Reactions: uclaLabrat

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

To be fair, Cal/OSHA does suck

Some of their reopening requirments were insane. No wonder Newsom needed to check them

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

Roll eyes and not give a fuck. Maybe put a fiver in the office dead pool if your have one running?

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveGrabowski

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
The one I discussed on the prior page in my wife's office who refuses the vaccine because she thinks it may affect her fertility - my wife is now requiring her to wear a mask at all times when in the office. Which is in accordance with state law - that the unvaccinated must wear a face covering at all times while working at a business which is open to the general public.

She evidently feels she is being singled out and punished, but that is the law.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
The one I discussed on the prior page in my wife's office who refuses the vaccine because she thinks it may affect her fertility - my wife is now requiring her to wear a mask at all times when in the office. Which is in accordance with state law - that the unvaccinated must wear a face covering at all times while working at a business which is open to the general public.

She evidently feels she is being singled out and punished, but that is the law.

We're doing the same. Vaccinated get to return to normal. Unvaccinated have to distance and wear masks. Lol

Choices have consequences.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Work has required proof of vaccination through the Healthcare portal and all employees who have such can be excluded from mask/contact tracing requirements. Will probably end up spending much more time on site in a couple weeks and that'll be weird.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
We're doing the same. Vaccinated get to return to normal. Unvaccinated have to distance and wear masks. Lol

Choices have consequences.
How do you tell fake covid card from real considering it's just an index card with no security measures designed to prevent someone from making a fake card ?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Got my second dose at last. Moderna. It's definitely more impactful than the first dose, as I have a bit of a headache and feel flush a bit over half a day later, but I'm not out of commission like I was worried I might be.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
How do you tell fake covid card from real considering it's just an index card with no security measures designed to prevent someone from making a fake card ?

Don't bother with the card. Employees have to attest they were vaccinated. Honor system, and if they lie and it's found out it's an HR issue.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021
Sure have, two shots of the finest Pfizer vaccine. Didn't even notice any side effects at all. My daughter (who is a healthcare worker and got it a long time ago) did have to take a day off after the second shot but nothing serious, just tired and kinda feverish.

My 5G experience has not improved though which sucks...

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Sure have, two shots of the finest Pfizer vaccine. Didn't even notice any side effects at all. My daughter (who is a healthcare worker and got it a long time ago) did have to take a day off after the second shot but nothing serious, just tired and kinda feverish.

My 5G experience has not improved though which sucks...

It's funny how it seems to take a day to recover, but rarely much more than that. I'm somewhat thankful, my poor brother was feeling off for three days! (It was Moderna, not surprisingly).

Reactions: MichaelMay

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
They wrote the lot code of the shot and where I got it on my card, so theoretically you could find out if that person had a fake card (fake lot codes or no record of the person getting a shot where the card says they did). Seems like a lot of work to verify unless it was a really big deal.

Reactions: MichaelMay

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021
It's funny how it seems to take a day to recover, but rarely much more than that. I'm somewhat thankful, my poor brother was feeling off for three days! (It was Moderna, not surprisingly).

Not that strange, it's your immune system reacting. Fever is a natural reaction, I might have had some reaction but I am so used to my aches and pains that I didn't notice. :D

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Not that strange, it's your immune system reacting. Fever is a natural reaction, I might have had some reaction but I am so used to my aches and pains that I didn't notice. :D

Oh, I was definitely expecting a reaction, it's just funny how relatively precise it is for most people: you have one off day and then you're back to normal.