Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 61 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
My wife and boys are vaccinated with the 13 year old counting down the days to the 2 week post second dose. My sisters, my in-laws . All vaccinated.
Wore masks from the outset and I still wear my mask from time to time even after being vaccinated for months. When I do my volunteer work, I wear a mask to set an example to the kids who still have not been vaccinated and as "support" for those who still feel uncomfortable without wearing a mask.

I'm an active guy so there is no way I was willing to take the risk and I certainly not the type of asshole who puts others at risk.
My tolerance for people who float nonsense and conspiracy theories is non-existent.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I was 42 at the time I got it. 15 months later I still can't smell a thing and my ability to taste is still very jacked up. It's more than death. I've been border line depressed for the last year losing 2/5 senses. It's impacted my marriage. My ability to enjoy food or drinks. I was a very high performing half marathon runner going into my battle with Covid and it took me close to 9 months for my heart/lungs to not panic at the slightest effort. I know at least three other people in their mid 30's that were also half/full marathon athletes that have basically had their lives turn upside down with long haul cardiac issues. One spent 6 months in an ICU.

They ain't dead. But some days they probably wish they were. They lost something they won't get back.

I'm sorry you ended up a long hauler.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I just read that Tom Brady's dad was on a ventilator and almost died from Covid and he was still an anti-masker. In an interview with his parents after, they were asked if they told him to wear a mask, and they said of course, but they can only do it so much.

Imagine that, your father almost dies from a virus, and you can't be bothered to wear a mask to prevent its spread. I mean you really gotta be a dbag after that. I wonder if he will get the vaccine. Probably not.

Reactions: Zorba

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I just read that Tom Brady's dad was on a ventilator and almost died from Covid and he was still an anti-masker. In an interview with his parents after, they were asked if they told him to wear a mask, and they said of course, but they can only do it so much.

Imagine that, your father almost dies from a virus, and you can't be bothered to wear a mask to prevent its spread. I mean you really gotta be a dbag after that. I wonder if he will get the vaccine. Probably not.
Isn't Brady into some holistic bullshit? Betting him and his wife think the vaccine is poison and they can fight off the virus by eating an alkaline diet or something.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Me too! Vi is one of the reasons I’m still here.

Awwww :care emoji: :beercheers:

I'm just thankful my livelihood/career isn't tied to taste or smell. If I was a chef or someone that relied on smell to test product quality (wine/spirit sales) ect my life would be over. Not dead. But who I was would be no longer. A few weeks of Anosmia is weird. Over a year of it is depressing. Knowing it's likely a permanent condition at this point, even more so. It's not a total loss of smell. There are still a handful of things I can smell consistently. Very few of them "good". I can smell some body odor, dirty wash rags and some candies that are heavy in artificial strawberry smell. On occasion I can pick up super ripe fruit (banana or pineapple) but it's usually catch it once and then go blind to it.

I've got huge blind spots in my palate too. I can't taste sweet or salty much. Bitter flavors are overblown (probably because things you use to balance them are blind to me) and sour depends on the day how strong it comes across. So many foods start with your nose and that part is just gone. So stuff like baked goods, or dishes like thai that use cilantro or other bright flavors are gone. You could put a whole handful of fresh picked cilantro under my nose and I'd have no idea it was there. And I loved thai and cilantro before :(

You just don't crave anything and nothing tastes the way you remember it.

Again not dead.

But there are still long term impacts.

• Wow
Reactions: AnitaPeterson
Feb 4, 2009
Isn't Brady into some holistic bullshit? Betting him and his wife think the vaccine is poison and they can fight off the virus by eating an alkaline diet or something.

I haven’t heard that but certainly possible. He and his wife’s professions demand taking care of their bodies. Wouldn’t surprise me if there is some holistic stuff going on.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I haven’t heard that but certainly possible. He and his wife’s professions demand taking care of your body.
Yeah for sure, I can't blame them for that. I remember reading something about Brady's diet that sounded kind of whacky but considering his physical condition it's at least not hurting him.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Also, when your professions require you to be in peak physical form, and you literally are paid millions of dollars to be in shape.... Well, you are probably in pretty good shape. When you have countless hours a day/week with some of the best trainers in the world available to you and can have a nutritionist and chef prepare your meals for you, you probably tend to lose perspective on how the rest of the world lives.

Reactions: Zorba

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I care about my health above anyone else's, so I got vaccinated, and I still continue to wear a mask indoors. Some people may call me selfish and self-centered, but hey, my health is important to me.

See how easy it is to remain self-centered but still do the right thing for society? :p

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I finally got vaccinated yesterday. The side effects hit me like a wheelbarrow of bricks. Not a ton of bricks, but fairly hard. Feeling better today except for a headache.

And I really don't want to get a second dose. Fortunately I predicted this, so I got the one-dose J&J vaccine. :)

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I finally got vaccinated yesterday. The side effects hit me like a wheelbarrow of bricks. Not a ton of bricks, but fairly hard. Feeling better today except for a headache.

And I really don't want to get a second dose. Fortunately I predicted this, so I got the one-dose J&J vaccine. :)
Good job choosing the J&J if you knew that you wouldn't want a second shot. I think it's side efforts are worse after one-shot than the mRNAs after the first dose.

Reactions: Meghan54

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I was hoping the trials could move along a bit faster, but it seems like Pfizer won't have data on younger children until September at the earliest. Moderna has been painfully slow, possibly demonstrating their relative inexperience and limited infrastructure for clinical studies, but some of the study sites are only now opening up and starting enrollment of children. Pfizer is probably going to beat them to the punch and most kids will probably end up receiving their vaccine in the fall.

And the most good/bad news for all of this? It is probably going to take longer to study the vaccine in children because there's fewer cases of COVID-19 due to so many adults being vaccinated.
Yeah, my Daughter is on the list for the Moderna trial. I think it'll be part of the phase 2 portion. Was originally told I'd hear back in early June but haven't heard anything yet.

I really don't think sub-12 will be before November, they are currently in about the same place the adult vaccines were a year ago, maybe a little behind.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
As a guy in his mid 40's I wasn't too concerned about death from Covid as much as I was/am about passing the virus to someone more vulnerable and for myself, potential longer term effects from Covid

This is why I masked up and got vaccinated

I lost a close friend in his early 40s and a cousin in his mid 30s to COVID.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Saw where Missouri only has 36% of their population fully vaccinated. Wonder which red states are the worse for percentage not vaccinated? Winner is Mississippi !

here's the list: https://www.beckershospitalreview.c...entage-of-population-vaccinated-march-15.html

Ah, good ol' Mississippi... doing their rightful job in keeping us from being dead last on the list like usual!

They made some changes at work where you can go around without a mask on as long as you're fully vaccinated (you have to submit your single/final dose date to them) and it has been two weeks. However, I know for a fact that there are people going around without a mask on and haven't been vaccinated. I overheard a conversation the other day where one guy was wearing a mask, and the other guy asked him why he was wearing it. The inquisitive guy said some malarkey about how it's against federal and state law for them to ask your vaccination status. (These people really need to stop listening to Fox News, because no matter how many times you try to cite HIPPA, it isn't illegal.) He remarked about how masks disappeared after the policy changed. Um... yeah, because some of us actually are fully vaccinated and have been for months. (I've been fully vaccinated + two weeks since the end of April.)

I also tend to hear remarks about vaccine hesitancy. The other person in that aforementioned conversation remarked about how it was "rushed through" and only given an emergency authorization. My biggest issue with these remarks is that I don't know if someone is genuinely fine with getting it once it gets proper authorization (Pfizer has already submitted for it), or if they'll simply pull the "move the goal posts" technique and make another excuse. Also, I apologize for a bit of the generalization here (I'm generally not a fan of generalizations), but I've found that some Southerners have a really bad habit of focusing on potential negatives without considering how plausible they actually are. (I don't think that this is solely an issue with Southerners, but my god... I encounter this mentality so often here.) I bring this up because I wonder if this inane probability reasoning lends to people thinking that an emergency authorization is a bad thing. Keep in mind that I've been scolded by friends riding with me that I pull up too close to cars at a stop light. "Why's it a bad thing being this close while stopped?" "What if you get hit from behind?" "How often do you get hit from behind at a stop light?"

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
"How often do you get hit from behind at a stop light?"
Have you not been been in a rear ended collision before? It happens more than you think. Watch some dash cam videos on youtube and you'll see at least one occasion in every 10 minute video. Many of them lead to multiple rear end collisions. People just don't pay attention when they are driving or they drive to close to the vehicle in front of them.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Have you not been been in a rear ended collision before? It happens more than you think. Watch some dash cam videos on youtube and you'll see at least one occasion in every 10 minute video. Many of them lead to multiple rear end collisions. People just don't pay attention when they are driving or they drive to close to the vehicle in front of them.

How often have you been hit from behind at a stop light?

In around 20 years of driving, my answer is 0.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
How often have you been hit from behind at a stop light?

In around 20 years of driving, my answer is 0.
I remember we went to Disney World as a child and we got hit in a toll booth line. My younger sister tried to start a standard transmission car without using the clutch and it hit the rear of my aunts vehicle. I was sitting an an intersection that was all black ice and some college kids came up behind me too quick. Luckily all those were fairly harmless and caused minimal to no damage.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I got Pfizer 1st shot yesterday. Feeling fine today, only arm is sore when i touch it in the spot where i got the vaccine. I got no other symptoms at this point.
Wait for it… I got delayed onset mule kick from that shot.. and not the usual needle soreness either.

dingster1

Mar 25, 2004
fcb9df746654285796f422d4de267c9d.jpg

My Immunaband came in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: darkswordsman17

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Fully vaccinated here - both SO and I.

Lots of people in our families and social circle got the virus, luckily nobody died and there were no lasting effects. But it was brutal for some of them, who had to be hooked to respirators in the emergency unit...

So we got the AZ vaccine first, in mid-April, and just got the second shot of Pfizer last week. The official advice here in Canada is that mix-and-match is a good strategy, so we followed it... no particular side effects, aside from some redness and sore muscles around the injection.

If we visit Europe in the fall, we're probably going to have a third dose at the airport (J&J is offered at some European ports of entry). Because booster shots will be necessary, anyway.