Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

abj13

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2005
My 13 y/o got her second round this weekend. No issues. Now 3/4 in my house are double vaxxed. Just waiting for CDC to clear the under 12 y/o group.

I was hoping the trials could move along a bit faster, but it seems like Pfizer won't have data on younger children until September at the earliest. Moderna has been painfully slow, possibly demonstrating their relative inexperience and limited infrastructure for clinical studies, but some of the study sites are only now opening up and starting enrollment of children. Pfizer is probably going to beat them to the punch and most kids will probably end up receiving their vaccine in the fall.

And the most good/bad news for all of this? It is probably going to take longer to study the vaccine in children because there's fewer cases of COVID-19 due to so many adults being vaccinated.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Didn't he get covid already?

I would add to your statement that the other pathway to defeating covid is natural immunity though widespread infection... But that's the dumb way to do it that kills a lot of people.
That seems to be his preferred choice, for whatever strange reasoning.
While anti-vaxxing is generally presented as conspiracy theories and rebelling against "Big Pharma," the truth is that it's really a fairly straightforward and extremely cynical calculus of risk externalization.
Take, for example, any well-vaccinated disease and compare the odds of getting the disease within a herd immunized environment vs the risk of an adverse vaccine reaction. If both are comparable (regardless of how minute), then what the anti-vaxxer is really doing is externalizing the risks of a vaccine reaction onto the vaccinated while enjoying the benefits of herd immunity that the vaccinated provide them.
And while most anti-vaxxers are probably as batshit as they appear to be, there is no doubt IMO that a great many of them know exactly what they're doing. Which is why you see many of them complain about being guilted or shamed for not vaxxing. That's their conscience speaking.

Reactions: Zorba and Meghan54

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
While anti-vaxxing is generally presented as conspiracy theories and rebelling against "Big Pharma," the truth is that it's really a fairly straightforward and extremely cynical calculus of risk externalization.
Take, for example, any well-vaccinated disease and compare the odds of getting the disease within a herd immunized environment vs the risk of an adverse vaccine reaction. If both are comparable (regardless of how minute), then what the anti-vaxxer is really doing is externalizing the risks of a vaccine reaction onto the vaccinated while enjoying the benefits of herd immunity that the vaccinated provide them.
And while most anti-vaxxers are probably as batshit as they appear to be, there is no doubt IMO that a great many of them know exactly what they're doing. Which is why you see many of them complain about being guilted or shamed for not vaxxing. That's their conscience speaking.

Yeah, I've talked to a number of people who don't/won't get vaccinated and it does run the gamut you describe.

I feel bad for those that can't because of some other health condition. I wouldn't want that hanging over me.

I don't necessarily get tyo excited about women thinking about children wanting to proceed cautiously. Don't think the science supports a serious concern.. but it's sensitive, so whatever.

Then there are those that won't just because.
These are the ones I think are a bit mad. I don't see how you weigh the risks of getting covid vs and adverse reaction and logically decide the vaccine is riskier.

Part of the calc has to assume that the virus disappears, but I don't think that's happening soon. So they would rather roll the dice on getting covid and not getting seriously ill. Fine, but I'm not doing anything to protect your dumb ass then. I'm vaccinated, I'm returning to normal life. If I get some asymptomatic infection then spread it to you and you get seriously ill... Well that was your choice.

Last edited:

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Yeah, I've talked to a number of people who don't/won't get vaccinated and it does run the gamut you describe.

I feel bad for those that can't because of some other health condition. I wouldn't want that hanging over me.

I don't necessarily get tyo excited about women thinking about children wanting to proceed cautiously. Don't think the science supports a serious concern.. but it's sensitive, so whatever.

Then there are those that won't just because.
These are the ones I think are a bit mad. I don't see how you weigh the risks of getting covid vs and adverse reaction and logically decide the vaccine is riskier.

Part of the calc has to assume that the virus disappears, but I don't think that's happening soon. So they would rather roll the dice on getting covid and not getting seriously ill. Fine, but I'm not doing anything to protect your dumb ass then. I'm vaccinated, I'm returning to normal life. If I get some asymptomatic infection then spread it to you and you get seriously ill... Well that was your choice.
Lets talk honestly, what is the risk for individuals from age 12-40 if they do not get vaccinated against Covid? From what i can tell, it's very low. The reality is, most will be asymptomatic, i learned that i was. I can't even take a guess when i was sick as at no time did i feel sick, tired etc.

abj13

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2005

People want to ignore inconvenient facts for their worldview. Look a polio. The 70% of pediatric infections are asymptomatic and the risk of developing polio induced paralysis was <1%. And some of those who did develop paralysis could recover. This is a virus that has been nearly eradicated and hasn't circulated in the US for 20 years. And yet there's a group of people who claim they are ok vaccinate against polio and not SARS-CoV-2. Hmmm. Facts that suddenly become inconvenient.

Reactions: Zorba

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Lets talk honestly, what is the risk for individuals from age 12-40 if they do not get vaccinated against Covid? From what i can tell, it's very low. The reality is, most will be asymptomatic, i learned that i was. I can't even take a guess when i was sick as at no time did i feel sick, tired etc.

Just outside that age bracket, but one of my closest friends of 30 years died from COVID a month and a half ago at 42 years old. Was kind of soul crushing at his wake hearing his 3 year-old daughter telling us to be quiet because daddy is sleeping. I hope she remembers him because he was an awesome person and an amazing father.

Last edited:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

I was 42 at the time I got it. 15 months later I still can't smell a thing and my ability to taste is still very jacked up. It's more than death. I've been border line depressed for the last year losing 2/5 senses. It's impacted my marriage. My ability to enjoy food or drinks. I was a very high performing half marathon runner going into my battle with Covid and it took me close to 9 months for my heart/lungs to not panic at the slightest effort. I know at least three other people in their mid 30's that were also half/full marathon athletes that have basically had their lives turn upside down with long haul cardiac issues. One spent 6 months in an ICU.

They ain't dead. But some days they probably wish they were. They lost something they won't get back.

• Wow
Reactions: AnitaPeterson

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Yeah people (some) are weird.
A gun fanatic soon changes their beliefs after their kid is gunned down during a school shooting.
A life long smoker will suddenly quit smoking after a cancer diagnosis.
And an Anti-Vaxxer will come up with all kinds of excuses for refusing the vaccine, until they are in the ER on a ventilator. Then, they expect a miracle. As was the case with Donald Trump, but not everyone has the clout of a president when it comes to medical care and cutting edge technologies.

Then, you have the people that are wise enough to have never smoked in the first place, to have supported gun controls all along, and who believe in the benefit of vaccines. I still thank god that people welcomed the Polio vaccine back in the 1950's, otherwise, we would still today be suffering from a nationwide Polio epidemic.
For so many to deny and to have made this political, I fear for the day should a real threat to humanity come along. A virus so deadly that the existence of humanity itself is threatened. God forbid that a president Donald Trump or the likes of would be running the country.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I was 42 at the time I got it. 15 months later I still can't smell a thing and my ability to taste is still very jacked up. It's more than death. I've been border line depressed for the last year losing 2/5 senses. It's impacted my marriage. My ability to enjoy food or drinks. I was a very high performing half marathon runner going into my battle with Covid and it took me close to 9 months for my heart/lungs to not panic at the slightest effort. I know at least three other people in their mid 30's that were also half/full marathon athletes that have basically had their lives turn upside down with long haul cardiac issues. One spent 6 months in an ICU.

They ain't dead. But some days they probably wish they were. They lost something they won't get back.

Sorry to hear about your experience. How did you get Covid? Right before the lockdown?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Sorry to hear about your experience. How did you get Covid? Right before the lockdown?

I'm not exactly sure. I worked downtown Portland and had a lot of office mates/cube mates near me that came down from Washington. Washington was really the first hotspot in the US. I got sick (and the rest of my family) the first week of March 2020. When I was first symptomatic there hadn't been a positive case in the state yet. Washington had a couple hundred. They are still doing studies but they are pretty sure that there was a super early community spread event along the I5 corridor that I was part of.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Your anecdote and conclusion is useless. I know one dude who is 50 that was a symptomatic, I know more people under 40 who were hospitalized. You remain willfully ignorant on this topic to rationalize your selfishness. Good job

Reactions: jman19

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999

Exactly. I hate how they say the non senior crowd has such a low risk of dying. Long haulers have such an unknown future. And even if one were asymptomatic, still don't know the long term effects. I'm betting life expectancy going to be dropping for next few generations as a result of Covid

Reactions: Zorba

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

If you actually cared about risk you'd get the vaccine since the risk is far less than that of covid.

VW MAN

Jun 27, 2020
Yes lets talk honestly...and the truth is fucking knuckle dragging asshats like you hurt our society with your malicious willful stupidity! Fuck off asshole!

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Alright! Joints for Jabs is in full swing in Washington. There's a $250000 winner yet to be announced today. Who knows I may already be a weiner. Yep, it's retroactive.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

I'm very sorry to hear this happened to you.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

I've known a number of people who got it.

Worst I've known of outside of a 90yo dying of it was a man getting so ill he spent weeks on a vent in a coma, then had spent months in therapy learning to walk and talk again.
He had to retire as he was physically ruined.

On the other end, I know of several that had mild to asymptomatic. One didn't know that they had it until a pre-op screening.

It's really a roll of the dice.

When? Now? Peak of third wave? A retired person living a lonely life, or someone working on a medical setting?

I fully expect there to be a point (fairly soon) where the risk profile is really low for maskless/unvaxed to be out and about life like it was 2019. They can thank the vaccinated for carrying the load in ending the pandemic.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Not to mention that promoting anti-vax sentiment actually weakens a target society, creating another point of schism. Putin's boys wouldn't do that, would they?

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
What always kills me is they cry sheep sheep
Uhm wolves hunt in packs, lions in prides even your apex predators know there is strength in numbers and being part of a society

Reactions: hal2kilo

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Moderna

day 1 : a haze
day 2 : haze lifts ~60% but now the sledgehammer hits around injection site.. Daaaamn man.(and this isnt no 'ordinary soreness from a lil poke)
day 3 : The other stuff has lifted, brain is back, only slight soreness left. Now my wrists are "fragile" as hell.

I'd say I am moving through the "known sides" one by one.

edit:

Hah!

"A small study at the University of Pennsylvania showed that people who reported systemic side effects such as fever, chills and headache may have had somewhat higher levels of antibodies. The large trial for Pfizer's vaccine showed the same trend in younger patients. "

From that I take that I have superior genetics.

Peace.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
As a guy in his mid 40's I wasn't too concerned about death from Covid as much as I was/am about passing the virus to someone more vulnerable and for myself, potential longer term effects from Covid

This is why I masked up and got vaccinated

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
A nutty anti-vaxxer invited to testify by the Republicans in the Ohio state legislature claimed that vaccinations make you magnetic and let you connect to 5G communications networks.

“I’m sure you’ve seen the pictures all over the internet of people who have had these shots and now they’re magnetized,” Tenpenny, of Middleburg Heights in Cuyahoga County, said. “You can put a key on their forehead, it sticks. You can put spoons and forks all over and they can stick because now we think there is a metal piece to that.”Later, there was some show-and-tell. Joanna Overholt, a registered nurse from Strongsville, defended Tenpenny’s testimony and placed a key and a hairpin against her chest and neck. “Explain to me why the key sticks to me. It sticks to my neck too. So, yeah, if somebody could explain this, that would be great,” she said as the key failed to stick to her neck.

Does that mean I won’t need Verizon anymore as long as I wear a tinfoil hat?