Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 57 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
So you side stepped my question about the legality of falsifying your vaccine card. Besides, if they are not being checked, and if you are not traveling, why did you falsify your card? IN short, it all sounds like a bunch of selfish excuses.

It sounds like lying Bullshit

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Which still does not answer the question Do you care about the legality of falsifying your vaccine card?
Yes i care about legality side
So you side stepped my question about the legality of falsifying your vaccine card. Besides, if they are not being checked, and if you are not traveling, why did you falsify your card? IN short, it all sounds like a bunch of selfish excuses.
I did as it seemed like US would have some type of "passport" requirement. At this point, that do not seem to be the case.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
@ondma
This is why PPE is considered the least effective control measure, its most easy to F up and not use properly/fail and be rendered useless. Masks are PPE, not engineering controls.

Breathing out your uncovered nose is as useful as not having a mask on. Its just for show
The point is the thing people make the biggest deal about are also the least effective. Instead of worrying how many people in the store are lying about their vaccine status (by masking or not,) your bigger concern should be is if the building is sufficiently ventilated and has a good HVAC system.

Going maskless into a giant Costco is less of a concern than cramming into a small, poorly ventilated space and thinking masks are going to be your armor.

People make a big deal of it because it's the least one could do while trying to have a functional society.

I'm also not aware of anyone saying armor is impervious. In fact it was discussed early on that masks reduced transmission by X amount and the percentage was broken down by scenario.

In a perfect world we'd address the issues that have a bigger impact on transmission (like HVAC), but we don't live in a perfect world so it makes the most sense to do the easiest and least intrusive measures first.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
The point is the thing people make the biggest deal about are also the least effective. Instead of worrying how many people in the store are lying about their vaccine status (by masking or not,) your bigger concern should be is if the building is sufficiently ventilated and has a good HVAC system.

Going maskless into a giant Costco is less of a concern than cramming into a small, poorly ventilated space and thinking masks are going to be your armor.
That good HVAC system metric is not an air quality thing, or how much fresh (clean) air is induced into the space, but is based on costs and energy efficiency. It costs too much money and energy to not recirculate the air.

Know that 30 - 40% are not vaccinated, and probably 95% of those will lie, I will be wearing a mask into any indoor retail business, big or small. I view Costco and Sam's as a greater risk, not because of the HVAC system, but because of the customers, than a small business. Wal-Wart and convenience stores are still a no-go, the clientele being the rationale for avoiding them.

Reactions: Zorba

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Yes i care about legality side

I did as it seemed like US would have some type of "passport" requirement. At this point, that do not seem to be the case.
If you cared, you wouldn't have falsified the card. So that is a straight up lie.

Falsifying a vaccine card is lying to "try" and circumvent the requirements. Basically it screams "fuck you, I am a selfish prick who doesn't care about anyone else but me! I couldn't care less what my lying does to anyone else, even if it could cause their death!".

Aka: nothing but lies/excuses to support your selfish position.

We wouldn't be in this situation if people would just do what they are supposed to instead of spending more time and energy looking for a way to cheat there way thru it.

Last edited:

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Except that wearing a mask and getting vaccinated are the two best ways to ensure Covid is suppressed and get the economy back to full staus.
I am fully vaccinated, but now am more reluctant to go to a store, because I know there is a still a small chance I could get infected. That chance has suddenly increased significantly, because now about 1/3 of the customers will be unvaccinated and walking around without a mask.

I agree with all of that. I WAS only playing devils advocate. I too am fully vaccinated but I also continue to wear my mask. And it is not in fear of covid because even if I did catch covid while fully vaccinated I doubt very much the covid infection would be a serious infection nor require any hospitalization. The main reason that I continue to wear a mask has nothing to do with covid, it has everything to do with catching the every day flu and catching the cold. Seems every single year for years and years I came down with a terribly awful nasty cold where my nose ran constantly and I was deathly sick for at least two full weeks. And after that, my cold then turns into a bad hacking cough that lasts another two weeks which i suspect is from my sinuses draining after my bad cold ended. However with wearing a mask, 2020 was the first year that I DID NOT catch my yearly terrible awful cold. No cold in 2020, no flu in 2020. And THAT is why I personally will continue to wear a mask when in any store especially in a Walmart. And it would be GREAT if all America adopted the wearing of a mask from October thru March, the flu and cold season. Forget about covid, imagine no more flu or colds because we all wear a mask.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
I agree with all of that. I WAS only playing devils advocate. I too am fully vaccinated but I also continue to wear my mask. And it is not in fear of covid because even if I did catch covid while fully vaccinated I doubt very much the covid infection would be a serious infection nor require any hospitalization. The main reason that I continue to wear a mask has nothing to do with covid, it has everything to do with catching the every day flu and catching the cold. Seems every single year for years and years I came down with a terribly awful nasty cold where my nose ran constantly and I was deathly sick for at least two full weeks. And after that, my cold then turns into a bad hacking cough that lasts another two weeks which i suspect is from my sinuses draining after my bad cold ended. However with wearing a mask, 2020 was the first year that I DID NOT catch my yearly terrible awful cold. No cold in 2020, no flu in 2020. And THAT is why I personally will continue to wear a mask when in any store especially in a Walmart. And it would be GREAT if all America adopted the wearing of a mask from October thru March, the flu and cold season. Forget about covid, imagine no more flu or colds because we all wear a mask.
I am not seeing American continuing wearing mask any longer than absolutely necessary. Fore sure majority will not follow your advice of wearing them from October through March. You're welcome to continue wearing a mask, i personally do not judge anyone before Covid or after.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
If you cared, you wouldn't have falsified the card. So that is a straight up lie.

Falsifying a vaccine card is lying to "try" and circumvent the requirements. Basically it screams "fuck you, I am a selfish prick who doesn't care about anyone else but me! I could care less what my lying does to anyone else, even if it could cause their death!".

Aka: nothing but lies/excuses to support your selfish position.

We wouldn't be in this situation if people would just do what they are supposed to instead of spending more time and energy looking for a way to cheat there way thru it.

You make an error here.

It's "I couldn't care less what my lying does to anyone else, even if it could cause their death!". "Could care less" doesn't really make sense.

Apart from that, I can't disagree with the rest of your comment.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
You make an error here.

It's "I couldn't care less what my lying does to anyone else, even if it could cause their death!". "Could care less" doesn't really make sense.

Apart from that, I can't disagree with the rest of your comment.
You are correct, was just a mistype (fixed). But thanks for pointing it out. 😉 (Might have been my phone's random auto correct.. did it on this post, had to come back and fix it as it likes to change/add words on me. 🙃)

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
That good HVAC system metric is not an air quality thing, or how much fresh (clean) air is induced into the space, but is based on costs and energy efficiency. It costs too much money and energy to not recirculate the air.

Know that 30 - 40% are not vaccinated, and probably 95% of those will lie, I will be wearing a mask into any indoor retail business, big or small. I view Costco and Sam's as a greater risk, not because of the HVAC system, but because of the customers, than a small business. Wal-Wart and convenience stores are still a no-go, the clientele being the rationale for avoiding them.
I just hope they have protection for their employees, whether requiring vaccinations, and/or continue PPE protocol, since they are so hot to trot on opening without requiring masks.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

From CDC/OSHA wrt Covid, "good" would be defined as amount of fresh air provided and HEPA filter classification improvements (eg MERV 13+).

Not SEER rating. Overall energy efficiency is worse as businesses are conditioning more outside air than typical.

It's been my general experience the big boxes are ahead on this. They have large spaces to begin with, as well as capital to invest.

You are free to wear what you want, but CDC mandating it at this point is not following the best science. If you are vaccinated, and in a building with good ventilation, without a mask, your overall risk profile is very low, regardless of the minority of unvaccinated around you.

Your chances of going maskless, getting covid from your trip, and ending up in the hospital seriously ill are vanishingly low.

You probably take more risk getting into a car and driving over than not wearing a mask once there, not to mention the items that go into your cart if they contribute to elevated risk of heart disease or cancer.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015

You do realize that HVAC systems push air in, and not suck air out? An air conditioner basically uses the same air that it sucks in, it basically pushes the same air out. If you were to put a chicken wing in the air intake on the indoor side of an AC, the room will basically start to smell like chicken. If someone enters a Costco with COVID-19, their virus particles are going to be spread out more with the help of the HVAC system.

You basically suggested an idea to make Costco shoppers and employees more likely to get infected with COVID-19, in a much more quicker way.

Reactions: MtnMan

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
From CDC/OSHA wrt Covid, "good" would be defined as amount of fresh air provided and HEPA filter classification improvements (eg MERV 13+).

Not SEER rating. Overall energy efficiency is worse as businesses are conditioning more outside air than typical.

It's been my general experience the big boxes are ahead on this. They have large spaces to begin with, as well as capital to invest.

You are free to wear what you want, but CDC mandating it at this point is not following the best science. If you are vaccinated, and in a building with good ventilation, without a mask, your overall risk profile is very low, regardless of the minority of unvaccinated around you.

Your chances of going maskless, getting covid from your trip, and ending up in the hospital seriously ill are vanishingly low.

You probably take more risk getting into a car and driving over than not wearing a mask once there, not to mention the items that go into your cart if they contribute to elevated risk of heart disease or cancer.
I dont know what you mean by "vanishing low", but as of April 26 there had been about 9200 breakthrough infections. Granted, this is a low rate, but certainly not zero, and this was while a mask mandate and social distancing were being enforced. Personally, I dont feel qualified to determine what "the science" is. Nice that you do. Even if one accepts the CDC version of "the science" that it is ok to not wear a mask if vaccinated but to wear one if you are not, that is simply not going to happen. Now we will have the 30 or 40 % still not vaccinated running around on the honor system to wear masks. Absolutely asinine.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004

The greatest threat to me in the big box store, and during the drive to the store are other stupid people. En route to the store I wear my seatbelt, have airbags, and drive defensively. While in the store is not the time to let my guard down. I fully believe that the anti-vaxxers, hoax believers, etc., will clearly lie, and would even go to the store if they were experiencing symptoms.

Due to age and other health issues, I am not in the low risk category, however even if I were in the low risk category, a vaccinated person can still contract COVID and while asymptomatic spread it to others.

At best, it would require a 2-week quarantine, at worst infect someone that can't be vaccinated. We have a friend we see about once a week now that things are opening back up. Her doctor has advised here against the vaccine as she is still dealing with another virus that has hammered her hard, Lyme disease.

That's how people that aren't stupid, or selfish view taking care of others, including strangers.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Went to Sam's Club today. No signs regarding masks. Guy at door checking membership still had masks to hand out and hand sanitizer. About 75% of customers were wearing masks, 90% of employees.

Also went to Harris Teeter. No signs regarding masks. 90% of customers and 100% of staff were wearing masks.

We wore our masks.

Reactions: jman19 and iRONic

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
You do realize that HVAC systems push air in, and not suck air out? An air conditioner basically uses the same air that it sucks in, it basically pushes the same air out. If you were to put a chicken wing in the air intake on the indoor side of an AC, the room will basically start to smell like chicken. If someone enters a Costco with COVID-19, their virus particles are going to be spread out more with the help of the HVAC system.

You basically suggested an idea to make Costco shoppers and employees more likely to get infected with COVID-19, in a much more quicker way.
Certainly not an engineer, but I started in my company's engineering group and had to manage several facility upgrade projects including HVAC. I've never heard of an HVAC system that doesn't include supply and EXHAUST. You can't push air in and not remove it without impacting everything from airflow to the ability to open doors.

The amount of recirculation is controlled by the relative capacities of supply and exhaust (I'm sure I've oversimplified that).

Reactions: Bitek

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Certainly not an engineer, but I started in my company's engineering group and had to manage several facility upgrade projects including HVAC. I've never heard of an HVAC system that doesn't include supply and EXHAUST. You can't push air in and not remove it without impacting everything from airflow to the ability to open doors.

The amount of recirculation is controlled by the relative capacities of supply and exhaust (I'm sure I've oversimplified that).
Yes, but what percentage of the total air volume in a structure is brought in compared with the air that is recirculated. It is prohibitively expensive to not recirculate 90%+ and induce only fresh air which must be heated/cooled, or otherwise conditioned.

How many systems have been updated to filter partials as small as a virus, or kill it by use of UV light?

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Yes, but what percentage of the total air volume in a structure is brought in compared with the air that is recirculated. It is prohibitively expensive to not recirculate 90%+ and induce only fresh air which must be heated/cooled, or otherwise conditioned.

How many systems have been updated to filter partials as small as a virus, or kill it by use of UV light?
UV is certainly helpful but not necessary. Standard HEPA filters are sufficient to severely reduce pretty much any virus. You don't need more than HEPA all the way up to BSL3 if I recall.

I completely agree with your point, home depot or the local movie theater ain't running HEPA filters I imagine. And I know our standard recirc ratio is 80/20 for non-classfied production space, hell even for some of our graded cleanrooms. One of our facilities is single pass with something like 20-30 ACH.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Alright, got my first Moderna today at a local CVS, process was smooth and efficient.

Unfortunately, I had to work overnight Monday-Tuesday, so I'm a bit off today with a mild headache already. Any initial side effects, other than arm soreness (have a little), can't really be attributed to the vaccine. But whatever....lol

Second moderna yesterday at 14:45 and I'm feeling a bit rough. Symptoms presented as muscle pains about 9 hours after the shot, it hurts to move. Temp is only slightly elevated at 98.3 - 99.1, but my body hurts and it's slowly moving to a headache. Finally took some tylenol and ibuprofen.

Have the day off so zoning out watching tv, maintaining food and water intake. Skipping daily stretch routine today :/

Edit: I chatted with the lady who kinda monitors the rest area after the shot. I asked if she'd heard about booster shots, and word around there is expect something 6 months out.

I didn't ask her this, but I'm curious - can boosters cover new strains as well? Or is it just a whole new round

Last edited:
Reactions: daveybrat

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Second moderna yesterday at 14:45 and I'm feeling a bit rough. Symptoms presented as muscle pains about 9 hours after the shot, it hurts to move. Temp is only slightly elevated at 98.3 - 99.1, but my body hurts and it's slowly moving to a headache. Finally took some tylenol and ibuprofen.

Have the day off so zoning out watching tv, maintaining food and water intake. Skipping daily stretch routine today :/

Edit: I chatted with the lady who kinda monitors the rest area after the shot. I asked if she'd heard about booster shots, and word around there is expect something 6 months out.

I didn't ask her this, but I'm curious - can boosters cover new strains as well? Or is it just a whole new round

Wow, almost exactly the same as me. I had my second Moderna shot yesterday and i'm taking the day off today. Woke up feeling so achy, have a fever of 101.4 and just feel like i have the flu. Popped a Ibuprofen and drinking Gatorade right now.

Feel like shit but still better than getting Covid!

Reactions: iRONic and ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Wow, almost exactly the same as me. I had my second Moderna shot yesterday and i'm taking the day off today. Woke up feeling so achy, have a fever of 101.4 and just feel like i have the flu. Popped a Ibuprofen and drinking Gatorade right now.

Yea, definitely better than getting covid! lol, there's been some near misses in the last year, and some of those misses the other persons were pretty ill. I'd not deluding myself to thinking I'd handle it well, I'm the man cold stereotype thru and thru.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

I had pretty much the same symptoms. The good news is as terrible as I felt it was only about 24hrs of crap before it disappeared as quickly as it came on. I had a lingering headache for about week though, tylenol always killed it but it would just come back every time it wore off.

Dec 10, 2005
They're testing this now. Keep in mind that immunity is a spectrum - your body doesn't produce just a single antibody against the spike protein, it creates a lot of different ones. Some variants might be able to evade some of these antibodies, but likely not all - that's why we're still seeing benefits with immunizations in the break-through variant groups.

I think the biggest thing for now and the next few months is getting shots we've already validated in as many arms as possible to knock infections way down. Maybe a booster will be needed with some special breakthrough variant, but maybe it won't have to be a population-wide thing; perhaps it would only be given in select locations on an as-needed basis.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
They're testing this now. Keep in mind that immunity is a spectrum - your body doesn't produce just a single antibody against the spike protein, it creates a lot of different ones. Some variants might be able to evade some of these antibodies, but likely not all - that's why we're still seeing benefits with immunizations in the break-through variant groups.

I think the biggest thing for now and the next few months is getting shots we've already validated in as many arms as possible to knock infections way down. Maybe a booster will be needed with some special breakthrough variant, but maybe it won't have to be a population-wide thing; perhaps it would only be given in select locations on an as-needed basis.

Fair enough, so basically too early to tell at this point. I'm confident that the CDC and pharma corp's are currently evaluating and planning for worst case anyways.

So Friday afternoon, my symptoms went from uncomfortable to full on flu-like. body hurt all over, skin hurt, temp went over 100, chills (so bad i thought i was gonna puke just from the shaking). FWIW, I tend to react like this to the flu and sometimes common colds. it lasted about 8 hours, but it was no fun at all.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Fair enough, so basically too early to tell at this point. I'm confident that the CDC and pharma corp's are currently evaluating and planning for worst case anyways.

So Friday afternoon, my symptoms went from uncomfortable to full on flu-like. body hurt all over, skin hurt, temp went over 100, chills (so bad i thought i was gonna puke just from the shaking). FWIW, I tend to react like this to the flu and sometimes common colds. it lasted about 8 hours, but it was no fun at all.

Now imagine how much worse it could have been had you not had the vaccine.