Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
If you recall its possible to have had Covid and not even realize it regardless of your pre-existing conditions. Approx 30% of infections are symptom-free.

Unless you've had an antibody test you don't know if you've had it/been exposed to it.
And since I was home from the onset, which was mid-March here, with virtually no contact with anyone, except the wife, also isolating with me, where the hell are you suggesting I got it.

The reason we did this is that we both have issues that would almost guarantee the ICU or the morgue for us. Lots of people have nothing more than a sore arm for a day or so, in fact it is probably the majority have no worse.

The isolation also means neither of us had anything, not even the sniffles or a cold.

Nor do I understand your insistence that if you have virtually no reaction to the vaccine, that "must" have had COVID.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Don't have a problem with anyone getting the vaccine if they feel comfortable with it. When the pandemic started I decided to change what I eat to become metabolically healthy and lose 50lbs instead of waiting for a needle with a very rushed vaccine inside. I feel like that was the responsible thing to do for my family (we all changed our diets).
You do realize that extremely fit healthy people have come out of COVID with serious long-lasting organ damage, lungs, heart, brain, or ended up in the morgue.

Nothing wrong with improving your diet, congrats on actually doing it, but I doubt COVID gives a damn.

Reactions: Meghan54

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Wife and I are in that category. We're already registered at CDR HealthPro for county and myvaccine.fl.gov for state and FEMA. I'll be trying Publix too. Hopefully we can get scheduled next week since it's only a five year pool. Maybe DeSantis will come open a pop-up vaccine site in our city next week. We have a bunch of rich people around here.

My 92yo MIL goes next week for Moderna #2. I'll be taking her 90yo to Largo next Friday to get her Pfizer #2. Both of them have done great after their first shot.
Your wonderful governor has a history of 'pop up' vaccine centers... in the more affluent ZIP codes, and exclusively for people that live in those ZIP codes. He probably has a list of people that donated to his campaign, sorted by ZIP code.

Reactions: Meghan54

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The isolation also means neither of us had anything, not even the sniffles or a cold.

Nor do I understand your insistence that if you have virtually no reaction to the vaccine, that "must" have had COVID.
Actually, if you'd been previously exposed to covid, your reaction to the first vaccination shot would be accentuated, in the same way that the reaction to the 2nd shot after the first, for people with no previous exposure is usually more intense. In fact, they're saying that if you previously tested positive, you only need one mRNA covid shot. In some places, this is official policy, I forget the details.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Actually, if you'd been previously exposed to covid, your reaction to the first vaccination shot would be accentuated, in the same way that the reaction to the 2nd shot after the first, for people with no previous exposure is usually more intense. In fact, they're saying that if you previously tested positive, you only need one mRNA covid shot. In some places, this is official policy, I forget the details.
My neighbor is a doctor in the Trauma Center here. Because of seeing COVID patients daily, he has been living in the basement of their house since last March. Two kids, and his wife has a condition that makes her vulnerable. He is probably in his late 40's. He got the Pfizer because of his job in December. It hammered him hard, 3 days of fever, chills, GI issues, etc.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
You do realize that extremely fit healthy people have come out of COVID with serious long-lasting organ damage, lungs, heart, brain, or ended up in the morgue.

Nothing wrong with improving your diet, congrats on actually doing it, but I doubt COVID gives a damn.

Yes there are rare instances of extremely fit people struggling with covid, don't know how much that really says.

CoViD absolutely gives a damn when you can shed multiple co-morbidities at once.

Ever wonder why the USA is disproportionately suffering from covid ? I believe the biggest factor is how incredibly unhealthy we have become and I put the majority of that on the diets we have chosen.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
I sincerely hope for your sake you don't get Covid... I also understand the concern over the vaccine but the benefit FAR outweighs the risk IMO given what we now know about the long-term effects.

Problem is Covid is not going away any time soon and given the number of people buying into this nonsense of not getting vaccinated it won't be safe for you to go anywhere or do anything in a crowd for a LONG time.

Of course for ME (and everyone who does the smart, responsible NON-COWARDLY thing) this may be a plus since you'll all be sitting at home instead of inline in front of me at the ballgame this summer.

Enjoy! :p

I also hope I don't get CoViD but I won't be surprised when I do, it's what a virus does after all, move through the population. I kind of laugh at how we've tried to 'control' it once it began to spread, as if there was anything we could really do once it was here.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
I got the vaccine, 12.22.20 and 1.12.21.

Only downside for me was some injection site tenderness on day 0, and arm soreness on day 1. Of course, I did test positive for COVID antibodies back in September of 2020.

A definite upside is now I don't even have to update Windows manually anymore. Whenever I get within 10 feet of my laptop, Gates and Friends can check for the latest version, and when I leave for work they know to go ahead and send out all the updates.

Just kidding, your "I'll just lose 50 pounds and COVID won't infect me" is hilariously absurd, but still hilarious.

Got any more health tips?

Nope, you seem to know exactly what you're doing, have at it.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
And since I was home from the onset, which was mid-March here, with virtually no contact with anyone, except the wife, also isolating with me, where the hell are you suggesting I got it.

The reason we did this is that we both have issues that would almost guarantee the ICU or the morgue for us. Lots of people have nothing more than a sore arm for a day or so, in fact it is probably the majority have no worse.

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin is now the topic of this pointless debate. (the answer is every bit as important!)

And since you enjoy putting words in my mouth so much, for the next reply why don't you just make up both ends of the conversation that way you'll have full control. I'm out.

(you should look at the FACT that you and I pretty much AGREE on this topic based on your prior posts but you still seem to want to fight about it... why? And no it has nothing to do with me)

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Yes there are rare instances of extremely fit people struggling with covid, don't know how much that really says.

CoViD absolutely gives a damn when you can shed multiple co-morbidities at once.

Ever wonder why the USA is disproportionately suffering from covid ? I believe the biggest factor is how incredibly unhealthy we have become and I put the majority of that on the diets we have chosen.
Careful when you cherry pick your stats.

Yes, the US is a fucking COVID disaster, because of a president was a fucking disaster, that called it a hoax and was incapable of providing leadership. Mocking masks, and calling it the sniffles, infected millions, which is still going on amongst his followers.

Now to your position about "unhealthy" Americans, that is an issue, but the reason we have 500,000+ deaths, that is because of the number of cases caused by Trumps failure of leadership.

The actual death rate, per capita, of those that contracted COVID is much lower than many other countries.
Even countries that did a phenomenal job of controlling the spread like Australia and South Korea. Also, lower than Canada, Germany, France, UK, Japan, and many more. But don't take my word for it, here are the facts.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin is now the topic of this pointless debate. (the answer is every bit as important!)

And since you enjoy putting words in my mouth so much, for the next reply why don't you just make up both ends of the conversation that way you'll have full control. I'm out.

(you should look at the FACT that you and I pretty much AGREE on this topic based on your prior posts but you still seem to want to fight about it... why? And no it has nothing to do with me)

Promise?

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Careful when you cherry pick your stats.

Yes, the US is a fucking COVID disaster, because of a president was a fucking disaster, that called it a hoax and was incapable of providing leadership. Mocking masks, and calling it the sniffles, infected millions, which is still going on amongst his followers.

Now to your position about "unhealthy" Americans, that is an issue, but the reason we have 500,000+ deaths, that is because of the number of cases caused by Trumps failure of leadership.

The actual death rate, per capita, of those that contracted COVID is much lower than many other countries.
Even countries that did a phenomenal job of controlling the spread like Australia and South Korea. Also, lower than Canada, Germany, France, UK, Japan, and many more. But don't take my word for it, here are the facts.

Don't believe I cherry picked anything, what I said is pretty commonly known.

Extremely healthy persons dying of CoViD is rare and America is suffering disproportionately.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Don't believe I cherry picked anything, what I said is pretty commonly known.

Extremely healthy persons dying of CoViD is rare and America is suffering disproportionately.

Unfortunately dying isn't all you need to worry about.... do some reading about people with "Long-Covid" ... many of whom were young and healthy going in. If it doesn't scare you I'm not sure what would.

I'm 57 so I'm in a risk-group based on age but I'm overall very healthy with no pre-existing conditions so really my chances of surviving a bout with Covid are pretty good based on statistics.

I still busted my rear to get a vaccine asap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Annisman*

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I also hope I don't get CoViD but I won't be surprised when I do, it's what a virus does after all, move through the population. I kind of laugh at how we've tried to 'control' it once it began to spread, as if there was anything we could really do once it was here.
You are simply ignorant. Please stop posting on the topic of covid because you are absolutely part of the problem. We do not need more disinformation. Do not post here or you will get a whacking. And yes, covid is out there looking for you.

Reactions: Captante and MtnMan

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
You made the assertion that the US suffered disproportionately.
The numbers bear that out, 30 million deaths 525,000 deaths.

You want to place the blame on the unhealthy lifestyles of Americans, and ignore the true cause, a stunning failure of leadership from a president that doesn't give a flying fuck about anyone, but himself and those with a lip lock on his ass.

Reactions: Muse

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
You win the prize for the absolutely most stupid statement of the week, likely a contender for the month's greatest demonstration of ignorance.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Don't have a problem with anyone getting the vaccine if they feel comfortable with it. When the pandemic started I decided to change what I eat to become metabolically healthy and lose 50lbs instead of waiting for a needle with a very rushed vaccine inside. I feel like that was the responsible thing to do for my family (we all changed our diets).

It was a responsible thing to do at the time along with mask wearing & social distancing. It was all any of us could do. That's changed. Vaccines are both safe & effective. At this point, we can choose to be part of the solution or part of the problem.

Reactions: Muse and Captante

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Pandemic woke me the F up though. I've lost 40lbs and basically stopped drinking alcohol. Obesity seems to be one of the main comorbidities, just from my casual observations.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Pandemic woke me the F up though. I've lost 40lbs and basically stopped drinking alcohol. Obesity seems to be one of the main comorbidities, just from my casual observations.

Yep ... for nearly everything too!

I've dropped weight in the last 6 months (gained in the beginning) and am working hard to get in better shape myself. There's zero downside!

However I also went and got vaccinated. :)

Reactions: Muse and hal2kilo

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
This was interesting reading. Corrolary to my weak jokes about vaccines accidentally bestowing superpowers.

I mean, why only consider the risk of unexpected downsides?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Pretty sure I've put on weight since the pandemic began, due to the difficulty of getting out and about to exercise, and of buying fresh food regularly. My diet has really suffered - lots more frozen stuff and lots less fresh vegetables.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Pretty sure I've put on weight since the pandemic began, due to the difficulty of getting out and about to exercise, and of buying fresh food regularly. My diet has really suffered - lots more frozen stuff and lots less fresh vegetables.

That's why I snagged that fancy laundry rack .... erm ... I mean spin-bike awhile back lol.

:p

Seriously I have been riding it and its performing well. :)

Reactions: pmv

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
That's why I snagged that fancy laundry rack .... erm ... I mean spin-bike awhile back lol.

:p

Seriously I have been riding it and its performing well. :)

Not only do I have no suitable equipment, but I doubt I'd have the discipline to use it. I find I need a purpose to make me exercise - and every single thing I regularly walked/ran/cycled to/from has ceased for the duration, so there's not much incentive to even go outside, especially as it's so damn cold and miserable out.