Have you ever failed a hs/college class?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MegaloManiaK

Golden Member
May 27, 2003
6 of them actualy.

Of course, i quit school to get a job but stayed enrolled so i could stay in the dorms.

man oh man, how i wish i knew at that moment i would be returning to school, ive been so screwed because of it :)

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
yeah 1.. algebra 2 honors in sophomore year of HS... damn teacher is an ass...
well i skipped math on junior year..
so now i'm back taking algebra2 again on my senior year..
i feel so stupid taking the class with a bunch of sophomores..

kloostec

Sep 19, 2003
Yup, multivariable calculus for engineers. Failing sucks, just means you have to do it all over again.

AdmiralTiger

Feb 17, 2003
Been there, done that... plenty of times.

I've only attained 2nd honors in HR ONCE - and that was 7th grade! I was the "C" kid that knew a lot of things but didn't do one thing: Homeworks.

My HS GPA was 1.85.. and I graduated in 4 years, no summer school or anything! I've probably failed a class each year or so - but still passed within the state graduation requirements and also passed the state tests with flying colors. It was the homeworks I could never do (rather, I didn't want to do it! :D)

In my senior year in HS, I took a Computer and Networking class - it was an easy class that I could pass without having to worry about homeworks.... turns out halfway through the semester before the networking segment of the course (and after countless of rule-breaking actions (checking e-mails during the breaks, surfing through the web during class.. etc), the teacher told me that she was effectively kicking me out of class, and told me if I accepted her idea, she'd give me an "C" for the course - so I couldn't resist taking an extra 90 minutes off during the day - so I got kicked out of that class. Look at where I am now... such irony in life.

As for college - three semesters, and didn't do much. - I only passed two classes out of six that I took and I don't even remember which courses I passed. :frown:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Biochem due to being a 7:00am winter class and me having to ride my bike. Teacher loved to move the class to other rooms and not leave where they went.

He did this for the midterm too, no note was left in class and I got there right on time...he changed this one though in the class session before which I missed.

There have been a few teachers that gave be C+/C/C- to try and curb my outspokeness.

In general, I did not have the highest grades, but I'd still be the guy others came to to explain problems. In classes in Biology (Zoo, Bot, Comparative Anatomy, etc)...I'd come to test late, finish first and set the curve ;). At first my teacher hated me when she witnessed me taking both Biology and Zoology at the same time (Bio is a pre-req for Zoo)...she offered to help me withdraw, but I told her I'd have no problem. First Midterm I finished extremely fast and she made me sit down with my paper and at least 'try, there is a ton of extra credit questions because this is a challenging test', I explained I answered each answer the best I could and I believe I am right on for most of them, there was really nothing I doubted my answer on. Anyways, I went back to my desk and fell asleep and ended up drooling on my test paper. The next day she announced to the class apparently this is what 140% paper looks like....next highest was 96 or 98%.

In high school freshman year I made grades just high enough to pass (I was in gifted in middle school which posed interesting problems, they only had AP and honors in HS...I was put in honors and discovered it just was extra homework (honor's algebra was taught by the same lady that taught regular, we had to do even and odd + the chapter end abstract questions...the regular class had to do even and pick any half of the chapter end questions they wanted)...the next year I made dean's list.

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I failed the second semester of Honors Algebra II my junior year in HS (had a mutual hate for the teacher, plus I'm lazy). Took a whole year of 'regular' Alg II the next year and had straight A's. Joke's on him!

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Yup, PE. Couldn't run more than about 2 minutes.
Repeated.
Doctors excuses got me out of needing to run.
A bit later, they got me out of the school, and college is so much easier!

gflores

Jul 10, 2003
well, i almost failed ap chemistry (man, that class was a pain). i got a d+ because i rarely did any of the work, but i did fairly well on tests, except one time where i didn't study. anyways, i took the ap exam, and i got a 3 on it, so he agreed that he would make it B. I was happy :) on a similar note, i took ap spanish and i got a B, but when i took the exam, i got a 5! that's messed up.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
yes, i failed one of the intro calc classes... i still made it into the hardest dept to get into here (CSE).. just proof that you can achieve a lot with hard work

slpaulson

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: coldcut
In college can you drop anytime you want and it won't show on your record??

You usually have to drop before a given date for it to not go on your record.
You can still drop later, before another given date before the final, which is better than failing I suppose.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Well, you can fail one class and not have to take it over the summer in high school. You will just lose an elective for your senior year and end up taking two gym class's a day. Of course that does not mean you should fail in the first place.

As for college, not yet. I have more motivation to pass college class's and it's called $$$$.

Lager

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: cRazYdood

You can still drop later, before another given date before the final, which is better than failing I suppose.

What is it after dropping before the final? Withdrawal and does it not go on your permanent record?

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: cRazYdood

What is it after dropping before the final? Withdrawal and does it not go on your permanent record?

most schools will not let you drop after the final, whatever grade you get is the one that gets put on your record. you can beg your prof to give you an incomplete though, in which case you do some stuff the next quarter to get your grade.

BlamoHammer

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2002
I failed junior english in HS totally due to a lack of motivation to do anything besides screw around. I developed senioritis as an eighth grader and could never get past it. One of the few things in my life that I look back on and regret is the effort that I put towards my studies in high school.

TDY2KN01

Apr 30, 2000
Not yet. Maybe with this quarter schedule with the last Ochem, Biochem and Physics might do it. Anyone know if you can repeat a science class to get a better grade. I got a B- in chem cuz i slack off in my freshmen yr Grr.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000

Not usually. Where did you get that idea in your head? Maybe if your prof and dean are both symathetic but most profs have a policy that they won't sign a drop unless you are passing the class.