Have you ever failed a hs/college class?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lager

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Would joining a fraternity help me improve my grades or anything like that? Does UCR have fraternities??

Sealy

Platinum Member
Aug 4, 2002
I failed Math 8, they put me in math 9
I failed Math 9, they put me in math 10
I failed Math 10 and finally I went to a counsellor and said I want to repeat math 10 please!
I passed math 10 with flying colours
I passed algebra 11 by the skin of my teeth but at least I had my math to graduate.

That is all:)

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: cchen
I have "failed" a class meaning I didn't understand jack sh!t but still did well enough on the tests to pass

Same as me... never failed, but I've "failed" :)

crab

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2001
I failed gym in middle school...and my grandfather was the teacher :(

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Never got lower than B+ in HS but too much :lips::beer::D:brokenheart: in college screwed me over, prompting in a couple of failed classes

grrl

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Failed a freshman composition class. I hated the teacher from the first day but was too stupid and lazy to change. Stupid.

drum

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
yep.
Calc I... A
Calc II...F Homosexual teacher who no longer teaches at my school :| (not because of his sexual orientation) just a horrible teacher. half of the class barely passed

civad

Golden Member
May 30, 2001
originally posted by: brtspears2
Yup. Gotta love the non-native english speaking lecturers. 150 students painted with "HUH" on their forheads.

I disagree. When I used to teach, it was the classes taken by native english speakers that had the highest failure rate(s).
But then, since I am from India, I cannot really be called a non-native English speaker.... the only thing I would thank the Brits for.

Aug 14, 2001
I've never failed a class, but I've taken a class and passed it while having absolutely no idea what I was supposed to learn. I guess the closest I ever came to failing was in a class where the average grade was a D. I believe I received a C+ in it. I remember getting a 29 on a test once and being extremely happy since the average grade was a 20. There was no scale in the class, too.

anno

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
How did her opinion on her peers tarnish? What happened??

she has a real black/white moral code.. not really sure how that happened, but.. it did, and I'm not gonna complain about it, makes fewer worries for me.. and her friends in highschool shared it.. they were the weird sober and proud of it emo kids.. but most of them rethought that when they got to college.. and she didn't. not surprising that they did, perfectly normal.. more suprising, maybe, that she didn't.. but was disappointing. she's a smart gal.. she says.. there's almost nothing you can control about life... even your thoughts you can't control all the time.. or when you most want to... the only thing you really have total control over is your behavior.. so.. why would you willingly give that up? eh.. she's smart in many ways.. she also figures that right now they're paying her to go to college... so.. even if she gets curious.. there's no way a party, no matter how good, is worth risking 3 years of tuition room board books and pocket money.. she'll wait til she's legal.. they're paying her well to do so.

anyway, that particular POV is unpopular at large public universities, so she didn't make as many new friends as she might have, since she disapproved of the behavior of the large majority of her peers. she finally decided to stop caring, has a good, albeit small group of friends, similarly thinking boyfriend, so.. she's happy.

anno

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Originally posted by: coldcut
Would joining a fraternity help me improve my grades or anything like that? Does UCR have fraternities??

NO!!! (joining a frat will definitely NOT improve your grades... and will make you poorer...)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
AP Chemistry in high school. Our teacher was psychotic. She wrote notes and erased them seconds later. She had a nervous breakdown and said we didn't care about her or chemistry, then ran out crying.

I think 8 of 20 of us failed.

I retook it and got an A.

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
yeah, my VP told me I had been dropped from the class as I requested, then like a month and a half later he's like uh, California state requirement demands that you learn sex ed sophomore year. I go back to class, find that i have like a 0/1000, say fvck it, and our class never covers sex ed anyways. I should sue or at least get my POS school closed down/people fired.

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
Got a D in Algebra II sophomore year of high school. Went ahead and retook it junior year. I just suck at math, the rest of my report card was straight As almost. It was one funny looking report card: 6 As, 1 B, and a D. :Q

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
Algebra 3/Trig in HS
Art History, Pre-Cal in College so far. Calculus isn't looking too good right now though.