Have You Ever Been Unconscious? (Besides Sleeping)

Gizmo j

Nov 9, 2013
I've never been unconscious, but I'm very afraid of it happening to me.

Have you ever been knocked out from a blow to the head or took drugs or anesthetic that made you unconscious?

How did it feel?

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
I've never been unconscious, but I'm very afraid of it happening to me.

Have you ever been knocked out from a blow to the head or took drugs or anesthetic that made you unconscious?

How did it feel?

I didn't mind being unconscious, but waking up with a mysterious probe in my ass, and aliens taking turns posing for selfies next to me kinda sucked.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Only once that I can remember, put asleep as a kid for dental work, I was really young. I remember having small talk with the dentist, like talk about school, that kind of stuff. I saw what kid me thought was a plunger come towards my face (the gas mask) and then the dentist said it was all done. I was also confused because I did not realize i actually went through the entire procedure already. I was also crying for some reason, I don't think I even knew why at the time, it's not like anything was hurting at that point. I think I was just confused and still kind of out of it. I don't remember the trip home or the recovery or anything like that either.

As far as trauma related, never had anything like that which I can remember anyway.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
surgeries yes.
The funny one was the wisdom teeth. I woke up on a bed in another room, and the dental assistant insisted that I had walked there under my own power. Not a single recollection of making that move, yet there I was.

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
surgeries yes.
The funny one was the wisdom teeth. I woke up on a bed in another room, and the dental assistant insisted that I had walked there under my own power. Not a single recollection of making that move, yet there I was.

Not completely uncommon to have some lingering amnesia after you wake up. Benzodiazepines are often used as sedation in procedures like that, and can cause amnesia both for a period before they were taken (retrograde) and after (anterograde). Rohypnol is actually in that family along with Ativan, Xanax, Valium, Versed. That it both lowers inhibition and causes memory loss made it popular for date rape unfortunately.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Dental surgery (went to sleep in a clinic, woke up in a dorm room 20-ish hours later). Another surgery, woke up an hour after in a rather distressing amount of pain.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Once when I had wisdom teeth out. Same experience as Red Squirrel. They put a gas mask on me and had me count backwards from 10. Next thing I know I woke up in a room with a wad of cotton in my mouth. Don't remember anything in between.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i had half my brain turned off with anesthesia one time.

it was weird... they showed me pictures during that time, and i had no memory of them after the anesthesia wore off.

and yet i could answer every question they asked me about the pictures.

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
Once. Going up for a rebound and teammate comes down with elbow to my forehead. I wake up on my knees and blood flowing out my nose.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I was maybe 13 when I was riding my bicycle a block from home going down a dip (a hill that was maybe 50 yards in length) and nearing the bottom for some reason my handle bars developed an oscillation back and forth that intensified until I crashed near the bottom. Next thing I was conscious of was being on a strange neighbor's couch. I had a very swollen lower lip and the kids at my junior high refused to believe my story and razzed me for being a loser in a fight. :rolleyes: Didn't matter what I said.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Once when I had wisdom teeth out. Same experience as Red Squirrel. They put a gas mask on me and had me count backwards from 10. Next thing I know I woke up in a room with a wad of cotton in my mouth. Don't remember anything in between.
I've been put out a number of times (shoulder surgery, foot surgery, colonoscopies), but AFAIC anesthesia doesn't count.

Last edited: