Have you been personally affected by racism recently??

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well, CT2TXtech's thread about racists sparked something in me so I created a rather long response only to see his thread get nuked by the mods
rolleye.gif
Anyway, I personally have never had to deal with it until JUST recently...my post from the other thread:

I'm black, my GF is white. Her grandmother absolutely DESPISES the fact that we are together. I've known Elizabeth for almost 6 years (we've been going out though for about 6 months) and I've known her grandmother for at least 5 years (met her on a few occasions before). She told my GF long ago that she was "AFRAID" that we two would "get together" because she saw how we acted around each other...

Now that we ARE together, she just can't handle it. She barely talks to my GF anymore. When I went to their house for Christmas last month (her mom's side of the family), she didn't speak to me or my GF all night (and she barely spoke to NE1 at all that night which is unlike her). She DID however tell me thanks for coming when the evening was over and we were leaving, but she was looking down at her feet when she did so. She thinks that all of us "blacks" are low-class, unintelligent gangbangers. And she thinks that I'm just going out with Elizabeth to "better myself"...WTF B*(&@$!~~:|:|:|

She has been talking about my GF behind her back to her uncle (this she heard from her cousin) and she's afraid that someone may see Elizabeth and I together and start "talking." Her granddad (on her mom's side) is OK with it, he just tells us to be careful where we go out together b/c he's scared of that...but he accepts me and likes me.

It's all one big piece of sh!t to deal with. However, Elizabeth's parents and bother are fine with it, all of our friends are fine with it, my parents are fine with it, and her dad's family is fine with it. They have no problems whatsoever.

Her grandma can kiss it as far as I'm concerned. What really upsets me though is that her grandmother is starting to take things out on Elizabeth's mom now. She's told her that "That's what happens when you let people of just any race come into your house." She's referencing to the fact that Elizabeth and her brother have friends that come over that are black, Asian and Hispanic...

She just burns me up!!!:|

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah when I play hoops at the local park none of the Brothers ever pass me the ball!! What's up wit dat?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Yeah when I play hoops at the local park none of the Brothers ever pass me the ball!! What's up wit dat?

I was being serious Red, but thanks for the laugh anyway;)

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Yes. For the past five years I have had a tough time getting scholarships because I am a middle class white boy.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Yes. People think just because i'm Jewish, I can find hot deals on electronics and other things. I don't tell them about AT Hot Deals. I just let them think Jewish people are the god of $$$.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
NFS4,

Thankfully, her generation will die soon and take much of their racism with them. With each successive generation, racism will become more and more outdated and rare.

Actually, I'm very surprised you've made it this long without ever having to deal with it. That says great things for the progress we've made so far.

Ogg

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2003
Its sad that the grandma is like that and espceially to say those things to her granddaughter but be sure of one thing....................................................... the old lady AINT gonna change!
Your course of action is right. Let her kiss it and forget about her. :beer:

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Amused
NFS4,

Thankfully, her generation will die soon and take much of their racism with them. With each successive generation, racism will become more and more outdated and rare.

Actually, I'm very surprised you've made it this long without ever having to deal with it. That says great things for the progress we've made so far.

You know what's funny (or maybe demented whichever way you look at it)...Elizabeth's mom told her don't worry, she might not have to put up with it for much longer (her grandmother is 80 years old).

But yeah, this is the first time I've had to deal with it head on. My parents thought it was funny that someone could be this close-minded in this day and age.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
I'm really sorry to hear than man, some people are just ignorant assholes. Amused is right, it really shows how far we've come if this is your first racist experience. As to racism affecting me personaly:

<---cracker

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: NFS4
NFS4,

You know what's funny (or maybe demented whichever way you look at it)...Elizabeth's mom told her don't worry, she might not have to put up with it for much longer (her grandmother is 80 years old).

But yeah, this is the first time I've had to deal with it head on. My parents thought it was funny that someone could be this close-minded in this day and age.

Heh, at least her parents have a sense of humor about it, and so do you. That's cool.

Just ignore her. I know it's a bitch for your GF but that's what you're going to have to do. Don't let her irrational hate jade you for life.

BeefJurky

Sep 5, 2001
my grandfather didn't like the fact that i was going out with an asian girl, and he would have thrown a fit if he knew she wasn't Catholic.... if he knew she was Muslim, he probably would have died on the spot.

other than that, the only racism i get is when they give me a fork instead of chopsticks at asian restaurants.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: CubicZirconia
And they say that younger people are ignorant....

Younger people are ignorant. Unfortunately, some choose to hold on to that into old age. :p

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
BTW, I can't believe no one has asked...

Pics? (GF, not grandma) :D

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: BeefJurky

other than that, the only racism i get is when they give me a fork instead of chopsticks at asian restaurants.

That's not racism, that's just common sense. I mean, who would think a bumbling guy like you could handle chop sticks? ;)

MystikMango

Jan 8, 2004
I'm half Filipino and half German-Irish... I know, a real Heinz 57.

When I am in predominately Latin areas, everyone expects me to speak Spanish. When I am out with my Korean wife, everyone expects me to speak Korean. If I go to a Japanese place to eat, I am expected to speak that language too.

I might have been born in the Philippines, but I came to America when I was 3. I'm about as American as you can get.

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
hmmm....its not like shes burning the cross in her yard man. just remember shes is from a different time, and its hard for older folks to change their ways. im sure she sees the gangbangers, rappers, etc. and thinks that is how all people of color act. i mean, shes old and dont get out enough to see the other side of the coin. im not defending her, just playing devils advocate here.

be the one to prove her old views wrong by treating her with respect, and showing her through your attitude and actions that you are just like anyone else, regardless of skin color. she may just need something to b!itch about so someone will give her some attention?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I went to a Japanese Tatoo Parlor and told the Japanese Tatoo Artist to put "King Kong" on my arm in Japanese. The Racist bastard instead put "Dick Head" in Japanese. I never knew he did that until I went to a Sushi bar a few months later and all the Sushi Chefs were laughing at me!! Well at least I got a bunch of free Sake out of it!

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I went to a Japanese Tatoo Parlor and told the Japanese Tatoo Artist to put "King Kong" on my arm in Japanese. The Racist bastard instead put "Dick Head" in Japanese. I never knew he did that until I went to a Sushi bar a few months later and all the Sushi Chefs were laughing at me!! Well at least I got a bunch of free Sake out of it!

Now that was one perceptive tattoo artist.

:p

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: shimsham
hmmm....its not like shes burning the cross in her yard man. just remember shes is from a different time, and its hard for older folks to change their ways. im sure she sees the gangbangers, rappers, etc. and thinks that is how all people of color act. i mean, shes old and dont get out enough to see the other side of the coin. im not defending her, just playing devils advocate here.

be the one to prove her old views wrong by treating her with respect, and showing her through your attitude and actions that you are just like anyone else, regardless of skin color. she may just need something to b!itch about so someone will give her some attention?

I've been nothing but kind to the woman. I'm always respectful of "elders" :)

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
Originally posted by: CubicZirconia
And they say that younger people are ignorant....

Younger people are ignorant. Unfortunately, some choose to hold on to that into old age. :p

I didn't mean to imply that younger people are not ignorant (though it does look like that). I just feel the need all to often to ask some older people to join the rest of us in the 21st century.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Now that was one perceptive tattoo artist.

:p

:Q

y2kc

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2000
Recently? no. I have been in the past and you learn to deal with it... I don't get caught up or hurt by the ignorance of others. Quite frankly I prefer my racists to be honest (and expressive) about it, at least we both know where we stand.

Ignore her, love your girlfriend in spite of her and if she (your girlfriend) loves you back, you win. she (the GM) deserves one emotion, pity.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Not to justify anything but some of you youngsters cannot grasp how much the world has changed in the aftermath of the Civil rights movement of the 1950s-1960s; people who were adults before that time lived in a completely different world.

Hopefully one of these days we will decide to start moving forward again, there's no reason to just accept the faults of the world as something that can't be changed.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
My life has been personally affected by racism in that I have to monitor my brother in law's language around my children. I do not find it appropriate for him to make racist remarks in front of them. I also refuse to attend family reunions and parties on my mother-in-law's side of the family due to several mouthy racists who can't seem to get through dinner without making inappropriate remarks. My MIL dismisses our concerns saying that they are "joking and don't really mean it". BS..."it's not funny." Then she tries to make us feel bad for skipping the event. ugh.