Hate fish, would I like lobster?

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
I've tried to like fish...but just can't get over the fishy taste/texture. It sucks because I know how good it is for you. It basically makes me gag.

I've always avoided crustaceans basically because I've stereotyped them that they taste like fish since they both hang out in the same place...but I can stomach fried shrimp and have eaten crab legs before I believe, but it's been a long time.

I just saw a Red Lobster commercial and was thinking of perhaps trying some lobster this weekend. What am I in for? How similar does it taste to fish? How should I eat it? I'm literally clueless when it comes to that style of food.

Oh and before anyone mentions anything about Red Lobster, I'm sorry but I don't live in Maine and work part time on a lobster boat so that I can eat fresh lobster that was caught a few hours earlier. Sorry but I know how ATOT is, there's always that guy in every thread.

Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
You won't know until you try it. My daughter doesn't like most seafood. She'll eat certain fish and fried shrimp. But she doesn't like crab or lobster. But she likes steamed conch.

Live Maine lobster I prefer steamed. Caribbean lobster tail I prefer grilled. I like eating it with garlic butter.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Lobster doesn't really taste like fish to me... Just sweet tasty goodness :)

Are you sure that you can't you get fresh lobster in your area? There has to be a better local seafood joint to go to than Red Lobster your first time... even out in the Midwest.

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
man maine lobster is fricken awesome, lobster roll @ boston, cape cod, etc.... im drooooling...

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
I know lotsa people who hate fish but love Lobster/shrimp, etc. You'll love it. Give it a try!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Well prepared fish does not actually taste like fish, but better. Then again, that same deep fried, super battered fish is probably also not that good for you. :p

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
IMHO it's too expensive to try so you can find out if you like it or not. I hate fish, I tried Lobster and didn't like it at all. I find it weird a lot of people I know who eat it, drench every single bite in garlic butter.

Also before it was this uber expensive thing to order. Lobster use to be considered the Cockroach of the sea and only peasants ate it.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I dislike shellfish - lobster, crab, clams, etc.

I love fish.

colour me odd.

:eek:

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
Lobster doesn't really taste like fish to me... Just sweet tasty goodness :)

Are you sure that you can't you get fresh lobster in your area? There has to be a better local seafood joint to go to than Red Lobster your first time... even out in the Midwest.

I live in Cincinnati so I'll take a look, I certainly don't want to pop my lobster cherry at Red Lobster either, unless it's my only option :)

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
IMHO it's too expensive to try so you can find out if you like it or not. I hate fish, I tried Lobster and didn't like it at all. I find it weird a lot of people I know who eat it, drench every single bite in garlic butter.

Also before it was this uber expensive thing to order. Lobster use to be considered the Cockroach of the sea and only peasants ate it.

Lobster is dirt cheap now. It's peasant food again. Wholesale lobster price was less than $3 /lb this year. Lobster is cheaper than steak.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
OP should try some crab cakes with a lobster tail on the side at a nice restaurant.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
OP should try some crab cakes with a lobster tail on the side at a nice restaurant.

I thought about that too..I'm just worried to spend a decent amount of money on something that I may not like.

But then again, I'd get a better overall product, thus increasing my chances of liking it the first time!

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
Lobster is dirt cheap now. It's peasant food again. Wholesale lobster price was less than $3 /lb this year. Lobster is cheaper than steak.

that is so true, i forgot which year they were like giving it away, 3/4 dollar a pound locally supermarket.. was having feast every week

i just bought a pound of usda prime today, came out to like 14/lb.. double the price of lobster.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
OP I suggest you go to Red Lobster and eat a basket of Cheddar Bay Biscuits and order some Blackened Cajun Chicken Alfredo. I don't care what anyone has to say about Red Lobster, the biscuits are freaking delicious and they have some damn good chicken Alfredo.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Love crab and lobster. With fish it depends. I'm okay even with a tuna sandwich or sushi, but I can't stand salmon.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
possibly. i hate fish but enjoy shellfish. i find the latter to be far less "fishy", which is not surprising considering that they aren't fish.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
OP I suggest you go to Red Lobster and eat a basket of Cheddar Bay Biscuits and order some Blackened Cajun Chicken Alfredo. I don't care what anyone has to say about Red Lobster, the biscuits are freaking delicious and they have some damn good chicken Alfredo.

That's so funny you say that. I LOVE their chicken alfredo AND their biscuits! And I do agree that it's about the best chicken alfredo ever, lol.

It's weird ordering it in a seafood restaurant though.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Do you want to prepare the lobster yourself or go to a nice restaurant and have it done for you?
If you want to do it yourself and save some cash go grilled. Wrap it up in some tinfoil with a little bit of butter and enjoy. Cincinnati should have some nice seafood markets where you can go pick one out. Around my neck of the woods it's http://www.dixonsseafood.com/.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Fresh cooked lobster is delicious. Good luck getting that at Red Lobster though.

The Red Lobster by me has them alive swiming around in a big ass tank. I don't eat Lobster, but I'm assuming you can pick the one you want and they go kill it and cook it for you. How can it get any more fresh than that? I'm not trying to debate the quality, or how it tastes. But that seems like the absolute freshest you could possibly get no?

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
The best lobster I had as a child was when my dad would go spear one and then we would grill it. I have never had anything that was nearly as good since then.

ColdFusion718

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2000
I've tried to like fish...but just can't get over the fishy taste/texture. It sucks because I know how good it is for you. It basically makes me gag.

I've always avoided crustaceans basically because I've stereotyped them that they taste like fish since they both hang out in the same place...but I can stomach fried shrimp and have eaten crab legs before I believe, but it's been a long time.

I just saw a Red Lobster commercial and was thinking of perhaps trying some lobster this weekend. What am I in for? How similar does it taste to fish? How should I eat it? I'm literally clueless when it comes to that style of food.

Oh and before anyone mentions anything about Red Lobster, I'm sorry but I don't live in Maine and work part time on a lobster boat so that I can eat fresh lobster that was caught a few hours earlier. Sorry but I know how ATOT is, there's always that guy in every thread.

Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!

Even when it's fried? I hate fish too, but damn it's tasty when fried. Fresh fish shouldn't be fishy in a way which makes you gag. I'm not referring to being on a fishing boat to eat stuff that was caught an hour ago.

Boiled/steamed lobster with churned butter is pure ecstasy.

I've also heard that lobsters used to be fed to prisoners and doing so was considered cruel punishment.

Last edited: