Haswell model specs leaked

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
leaked models over at toms
haswell-ep,D-O-342636-3.jpg

So we could see DDR4 by summer for the desktop ?
I had thought it would be pushed with haswell-e
I'm excited about anything new like ddr4 :)

EDIT: I just noticed it says haswell-ep above the pic

Interesting... that has 6 cores, and a very obvious blank section which is the size of 2 cores... maybe a 10 core die on the completely enabled Xeon?

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
LOL, you make a good point :thumbsup:

Sanders? The ethically challenged guy who stole himself into the position of being able to use Intel's own CPU designs to compete against them, and only won out in the legal sense based on some fancy technical maneuverings in the courtroom? I don't consider that to be genius.

iTunes is genius, the creation of the market segment which resulted in the "app store" and enabling at-home programmers to become wealthy overnight was genius.

Telling Intel you'll be their foundry after IBM forces Intel to find a second-source producer, getting Intel's mask-sets and cpu designs (needed to produce the chip as a foundry) and then using that info to turn around and produce your own competing product is not genius.

That is riding on someone else's coattails and then having the audacity of stabbing them in the back as a way of saying thank you for their business helping you get your own feet off the ground :\

Or am I thinking of a different Sanders?

The former mayor of my city is also named Jerry Sanders (just retired recently).
They are both old white haired guys

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
So we could see DDR4 by summer for the desktop ?
I had thought it would be pushed with haswell-e
I'm excited about anything new like ddr4 :)

EDIT: I just noticed it says haswell-ep above the pic
Clumsy journalism over at Tom's as usual... linking a Haswell EP picture to a mainstream Haswell article? How in the world do you manage that?

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I'm confused, what are you saying was a bad move on ARM makers (and are you referring to the SoC vendors or the tablet vendors)? Making tablets that use ARM? How on earth were tablets, a platform undeniably popularized by Apple, ever Intel's space?

You figure it out. tablets with keyboards are intels space. Tablets today than desktops and servers. They all going to wish they let intel sleep. rather than wake them up .

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
LOL, you make a good point :thumbsup:

Sanders? The ethically challenged guy who stole himself into the position of being able to use Intel's own CPU designs to compete against them, and only won out in the legal sense based on some fancy technical maneuverings in the courtroom? I don't consider that to be genius.

iTunes is genius, the creation of the market segment which resulted in the "app store" and enabling at-home programmers to become wealthy overnight was genius.

Telling Intel you'll be their foundry after IBM forces Intel to find a second-source producer, getting Intel's mask-sets and cpu designs (needed to produce the chip as a foundry) and then using that info to turn around and produce your own competing product is not genius.

That is riding on someone else's coattails and then having the audacity of stabbing them in the back as a way of saying thank you for their business helping you get your own feet off the ground :\

Or am I thinking of a different Sanders?

It worked . I am happy to see that you agree it was a miss carry of justice reverse engineering isn't cool at all . This only happened because of IBM . The minute Ibm left the space that agreement shouldn't have stood up . But arm twisting seems to be allowed if your IBM that leaves spaces after raping the public. Now the once owned IBM pc is now the top dog again thanks to them working closely with intel

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2013
I'm confused, what are you saying was a bad move on ARM makers (and are you referring to the SoC vendors or the tablet vendors)? Making tablets that use ARM? How on earth were tablets, a platform undeniably popularized by Apple, ever Intel's space?

Me too :confused:

Sounded like their mistake was their existence as chip makers. :\.

Aug 11, 2008
Intels GT3 graphics are comparrable to Nvs 650m. Is that good or bad?

It did not exactly say comparable to a 650m. It was compared side by side with the 650M with the implication that the performance was comparable. But that was not stated specifically. Kind of like you could compare my wimpy Civic to a corvette, but the performance is very different.

If GT3 is comparable to a 650m over a wide range of games, that is a very good thing. I seriously doubt that it will be however, especially when in a laptop with thermal constraints not imposed by the demo. 650m is considerably faster than Trinity and way faster than HD4000. I doubt they will reach this level. A 650m is what I consider the baseline for adequate laptop gaming.

Aug 11, 2008
One could also say the competitors are mentally challenged. ;)

Microsoft, Microsoft/IBM, AMD, AMD, GloFo. See the trend? :p

I am sure you are being facetious, but really---Microsoft mentally challenged?? They only produce the software that runs the vast majority of entreprises on the planet and without which our society would almost grind to a halt.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
It did not exactly say comparable to a 650m. It was compared side by side with the 650M with the implication that the performance was comparable. But that was not stated specifically. Kind of like you could compare my wimpy Civic to a corvette, but the performance is very different.

If GT3 is comparable to a 650m over a wide range of games, that is a very good thing. I seriously doubt that it will be however, especially when in a laptop with thermal constraints not imposed by the demo. 650m is considerably faster than Trinity and way faster than HD4000. I doubt they will reach this level. A 650m is what I consider the baseline for adequate laptop gaming.

Well if demos were legit which I sure they were In that game GT3 looked better . I certainly wouldn't buy a add in card to play that game . It looked better and faster than AMDs dirt demo . likely the map . Than again the intel demo showed more fling particles and such . Its lets wait and see.

The Alias

Aug 22, 2012
Well if demos were legit which I sure they were In that game GT3 looked better . I certainly wouldn't buy a add in card to play that game . It looked better and faster than AMDs dirt demo . likely the map . Than again the intel demo showed more fling particles and such . Its lets wait and see.

the game amd used was dirt showdown actually vs dirt 3 on the gt3 demo .

also you're comparing a non-power/thermal constrained intel system versus a tablet .... And then think your comparison is valid ! That's like me posting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xRi-f9rmOg up and thinking that'll invalidate intel's demo . :facepalm:

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
It worked . I am happy to see that you agree it was a miss carry of justice reverse engineering isn't cool at all . This only happened because of IBM . The minute Ibm left the space that agreement shouldn't have stood up . But arm twisting seems to be allowed if your IBM that leaves spaces after raping the public. Now the once owned IBM pc is now the top dog again thanks to them working closely with intel

FWIW TI did the exact same thing to Cyrix :( Slimy business ethics sorta go hand in hand with this industry, or it could just be that it can be found in any industry involving humans :\

Aug 11, 2008

I agree with the wait and see, on both the intel and AMD sides. Cant believe the expectations being tossed around for chips that arent even out yet. Of course the marketing types are going to make their products look good, lets wait for real world results by independent reviewers in a wide range of benchmarks.

Aug 11, 2008
Thanks to legacy.

Well, what other alternative is there? If you feel Microsoft used strong arm practices to corner the market, you could have a point. But I use MS Office daily (excel, access, word) and they are extremely powerful pieces of software, certainly requiring a lot of expertise to produce. We are running a large clinical research study, and it would be impossible without the access data base.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Dirt Showdown was made after Dirt 3, maybe the minimum specs are higher too?
If so, that gives AMD a win in that demo.

Hold on there, before you jump to conclusions.

The full-on Radeon HD 7660G in the A10-4600M gets only 41 fps in 1024x768 Ultra Low: http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7660G.69830.0.html

It's 3DMark Vantage P score is 4400, which is more than 4 times the one AMD claims for Temash.

They also claimed E-350's graphics were 2x faster compared to the HD Graphics in the first Core i5 generation:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3920/amd-benchmarks-zacate-apu-2x-faster-gpu-performance-than-core-i5

But is actually in average only 20% faster.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4218/amds-brazo-e350-msi-x370-sony-vaio-yb/5

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Well, what other alternative is there? If you feel Microsoft used strong arm practices to corner the market, you could have a point. But I use MS Office daily (excel, access, word) and they are extremely powerful pieces of software, certainly requiring a lot of expertise to produce. We are running a large clinical research study, and it would be impossible without the access data base.

Back when Gates was in charge it went pretty well. But the slow decline started afterwards. And Microsoft is really doing terrible today in terms of products. Windows 8 is one exchange, Exchange 2013 another. Cancelled the TMG line after 1 product cycle. An O365 platform that got huge stability problems and is limited and messy to use. Even the Windows 2012 server uses metro UI+all visual effects enabled per default in remote decisions. Its just clumpsy work.

Not to mention the flop after flop in almost every segment they entered. E-books, music, search, social networking, etc. Windows Phone is doing pretty terrible as well. WinRT is already on life support in the emergency ward. A huge pile of lost marketshare to Apple as well. And you could simply go on and on.
And Windows 8 sells less than Vista. Just to show the flagship disaster in its full glory.

Perhaps its easier to start listing their actual success stories the last 5 years?

Its also talked about as Microsofts lost decade.

This quote pretty much sums it up:
“They used to point their finger at IBM and laugh,” said Bill Hill, a former Microsoft manager. “Now they’ve become the thing they despised.”

iPhone alone got more sales than the entire MS. Simply because Microsoft doesnt offer customers anything they want. MS suffers what the american car industry also suffered. The arrogance of thinking they know better than the consumers.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
Back when Gates was in charge it went pretty well. But the slow decline started afterwards. And Microsoft is really doing terrible today in terms of products. Windows 8 is one exchange, Exchange 2013 another. Cancelled the TMG line after 1 product cycle. An O365 platform that got huge stability problems and is limited and messy to use. Even the Windows 2012 server uses metro UI+all visual effects enabled per default in remote decisions. Its just clumpsy work.

Not to mention the flop after flop in almost every segment they entered. E-books, music, search, social networking, etc. Windows Phone is doing pretty terrible as well. WinRT is already on life support in the emergency ward. A huge pile of lost marketshare to Apple as well. And you could simply go on and on.
And Windows 8 sells less than Vista. Just to show the flagship disaster in its full glory.

Perhaps its easier to start listing their actual success stories the last 5 years?

Its also talked about as Microsofts lost decade.

This quote pretty much sums it up:

iPhone alone got more sales than the entire MS. Simply because Microsoft doesnt offer customers anything they want. MS suffers what the american car industry also suffered. The arrogance of thinking they know better than the consumers.

Well, the iphone may have more sales than Microsoft, I dont know. But the world could live quite well without the iphone, while it is hard to picture a functional business/research/education environment without Windows. You also didnt mention the x-box, which although it took away from pc gaming, I think it would have to be called a success.

I do agree that they seem to be trying to force things down the consumer's throat recently though. Like removing the start button from the win 8 desktop.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
40% of all Windows users still uses XP thats over 11 years old. That shows how badly MS performs.

MightyMalus

Jan 3, 2013
Those numbers are from were? Last thing I knew was Win7 was dominating!

Lmao, Windows 8 is such a failure that its percentage in steam is more than all other non windows OS combined! And very close to XP. (Windows 8 64 bit - 6.33% + Windows 8 - 0.60%)

Windows Vista 64 bit - 3.84%

Windows Vista 32 bit - 3.12%
MacOS 10.8.2 64 bit - 1.81%
MacOS 10.7.5 64 bit - 0.88%
MacOS 10.6.8 64 bit - 0.83%

Windows XP 64 bit - 0.41%
Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit - 0.29%
Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS 64 bit - 0.26%
MacOS 10.7.4 64 bit - 0.20%
Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS - 0.13%
Ubuntu 12.10 - 0.12%
Other - 0.71%

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Those numbers are from were? Last thing I knew was Win7 was dominating!

Lmao, Windows 8 is such a failure that its percentage in steam is more than all other non windows OS combined! And very close to XP. (Windows 8 64 bit - 6.33% + Windows 8 - 0.60%)

Windows Vista 64 bit - 3.84%

Windows Vista 32 bit - 3.12%
MacOS 10.8.2 64 bit - 1.81%
MacOS 10.7.5 64 bit - 0.88%
MacOS 10.6.8 64 bit - 0.83%

Windows XP 64 bit - 0.41%
Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit - 0.29%
Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS 64 bit - 0.26%
MacOS 10.7.4 64 bit - 0.20%
Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS - 0.13%
Ubuntu 12.10 - 0.12%
Other - 0.71%

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Never said Windows 7 wasnt more popular. That happend last summer. But when almost 40% of your user base still uses an 11 year old product. Then you did something terrible wrong. And the motivator to change is due to no more support, not because they wish to. Also explains why Windows 7 got a large increase lately.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=11&qpcustomb=0

Last edited:

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
40% of all Windows users still uses XP thats over 11 years old. That shows how badly MS performs.

If XP does what 40% of windows owners want it to do then it doesn't matter is win8 is amazing or a complete flop. You are also ignoring the fact that pretty much all those pcs running XP wouldn't be able to handle a newer operating system because of the overheads which in my mind puts the blame on the pc vendors not convincing people they need to upgrade not the OS developer.