HASWELL core I5: Performance Preview

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Even against Trinity at 35W it will not be faster.

It will undoubtly be better than IB GPU that had to make interpolation
(read : uncomplete rendering of the frames ) to keep
sorting a still miserable framerate...

I did read that the best DT parts will be within 5% of a Llano 3850.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
It will undoubtly be better than IB GPU that had to make interpolation
(read : uncomplete rendering of the frames ) to keep
sorting a still miserable framerate...

I did read that the best DT parts will be within 5% of a Llano 3850.

Ahh yes it will be better than Ivy and im expecting the GT3 to be very fast.

I just would like to clarify that Haswell GT2 at 35W will not be faster than Trinity at 35W.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
A guy that pretended to have working chips
two months ago said that GT3 is at most 35% faster than HD4000
but not sure if he was not talking of GT2 since he mentionned DT
pointing that the same GT3 (or GT2?) was 15% slower than HD7660D.

Interestingly he also said that it had high frame latency in quite
a lot of titles , perhaps a driver related issue , but he pointed also
that it should do very well on mobile.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012

Forget this guy.

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012

Interestingly he also said that it had high frame latency in quite
a lot of titles , perhaps a driver related issue , but he pointed also
that it should do very well on mobile.

There is your problem

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
I'm a bit hurt emotionally that so much talk has been about the igpu.
The CPU improvements aren't all that exciting, so there's not much else to talk about besides power consumption. Of course, enthusiasts don't care about power consumption, so that metric is rarely leaked or talked about.

There's also the fact that the AMDZone leakage around here would be brought to tears if they ever had to do a performance comparison between Haswell and Trinity/Richland/Kaveri, so they can only do their best to downplay the massive leaps in GPU performance.

tipoo

Oct 4, 2012
I wonder, can Haswell with the eDRAM use it on the CPU side? Does it dynamically split it like in Ivy Bridges L3 cache? If there is no graphics load, could the CPU conceivably use it as one huge L4 cache?

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
The CPU improvements aren't all that exciting, so there's not much else to talk about besides power consumption. Of course, enthusiasts don't care about power consumption, so that metric is rarely leaked or talked about.

There's also the fact that the AMDZone leakage around here would be brought to tears if they ever had to do a performance comparison between Haswell and Trinity/Richland/Kaveri, so they can only do their best to downplay the massive leaps in GPU performance.

Could at least talk about overclocking, igpu = ijustdontcare :\

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Could at least talk about overclocking, igpu = ijustdontcare :\

Hey, look on the bright side- Intel's latest drivers let you use it as an OpenCL accelerator, even when you have a discrete GPU plugged in. (Windows 8 only.) Havok running on the iGPU while the game renders on the dGPU? Yes please.

Mars999

Jan 12, 2007
Hey, look on the bright side- Intel's latest drivers let you use it as an OpenCL accelerator, even when you have a discrete GPU plugged in. (Windows 8 only.) Havok running on the iGPU while the game renders on the dGPU? Yes please.

It had better have win7 support... or you just hoping for win8 only...

Mars999

Jan 12, 2007
They only enable the "dual accelerator" mode in Windows 8. All other features (as far as I know) work fine on Windows 7.

That is my point, I want to use the iGPU on the CPU as a math coprocessor in Win7 and NOT crap Win8... you have a link to this?

Thanks!

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

They only enable the "dual accelerator" mode in Windows 8. All other features (as far as I know) work fine on Windows 7.

How much of that is an Intel enforced limitation/segmentation versus how much of that is due to the Lucid Virtu software only supporting it in Win8?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Its a Microsoft issue/limitation so to say. And MS cant be bothered anymore to update the older platform. Its one of the features the removed SP2 would have added to Windows 7.

The monkey man cant get fired soon enough.

Mars999

Jan 12, 2007
From what I am finding out it may work on Win7 since they use Dx11 to mess with this I guess... From what I was told the latest 15.31.3071 driver allows this to be used in Win7... Anyone have a iGPU on a desktop running Win7 to test this?

Thanks!

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Why don't you tell me why we put heatsinks on them if they're drawing less than ".1W?"

Tell me that this is a simple circuit:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/picture/?src=/images/news/2012-12/haswell_power_1.png

Then tell me that this 106mm² chip will be drawing less than 0.1W:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/picture/?src=/images/news/2012-12/haswell_power_2_550.png

Doesn't matter if it ends up on Haswell or not. Its existence defeats your ludicrous argument. Individual MOSFETs may be simple, but Intel's doing a lot more than sticking one on Haswell and calling it a day.

You're confusing voltage regulation with power delivery. I have seen nothing that power delivery (high power MOSFETS) will be integrated into Haswell.

If you have evidence that I'm my understanding is incorrect I'm open to learning where my argument is "ludicrous".

Last edited:

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
When can i buy this Haswell?
And what is the equivalent of my 3570k?
What is the expected price?

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
When can i buy this Haswell?
And what is the equivalent of my 3570k?
What is the expected price?

June 2nd is the release date.

Probably the same as previous i5 K-series CPUs.

Found this on wikipedia in like 5 seconds.