Has the NEWS ever lied or made stuff up?

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
There was that whole incident w/ the New York Times reporter making stuff up and getting caught.

zer0burn

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2002
during the election some were declaring winners before it was even determined...

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Everytime I see a girl wearing those rubber bracelets, I now know she performs acts based on the color I choose.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Anyone who says no should be put to sleep.

- M4H

That's way to nice. I was thinking more like execution style in a fast-food freezer.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Why would the NEWS make stuff up? I am talkinga about mainstream news media, not Navasota Alternate Weekly Times.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Mill

- M4H

That's way to nice. I was thinking more like execution style in a fast-food freezer.

I never said how they'd be put to sleep.

Personally, I was thinking everyone's favourite - face down on the curb, two to the base of the skull.

- M4H

Vincent

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
The New York Times convicted Chinese American nuclear scientist Wen Ho Lee of espionage without any substantial evidence. They printed a formal apology after it was all cleared up.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
The latest incident with the New York Times is the most famous, but a few years back there was a big to-do over NBC falsifying reports. The details escape me, but it had to do with auto crashes or crash tests.

Mar 22, 2002

- M4H

Personally, I was thinking everyone's favourite - face down on the curb, two to the base of the skull.

- M4H

Too quick of a death...I say seppuku.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

- M4H

- M4H

You're still off. Teeth on the curb. Size twelve to the back of the head. Two to the base of the skull.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl

- M4H

- M4H

You're still off. Teeth on the curb. Size twelve to the back of the head. Two to the base of the skull.

You folks have no imagination. Tsk, tsk. :Q

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl

- M4H

- M4H

You folks have no imagination. Tsk, tsk. :Q

Not true. I saw the curbstomp in American History X and I can imagine doing it to some members of the media ;)

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
A more appropriate question would be: "Has the news ever told the truth? Or been unbiased?"

Please...And they say there's no such thing as a stupid question.
rolleye.gif

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
The latest incident with the New York Times is the most famous, but a few years back there was a big to-do over NBC falsifying reports. The details escape me, but it had to do with auto crashes or crash tests.

Back in the early 90's Dateline was doing an expose on GM pick-up trucks w/sidesaddle fuel tanks and how they were dangerous because they were supposedily more likely to rupture and catch fire. Well, they kept ramming the sides of the trucks in simulated crashes and nothing happend. So they rigged a truck to catch fire when the ram hit it.

Then in the mid-90's there was that reporter for CNN that completely fabricated a story about the US Government testing chemical weapons on troops in Vietnam.

TommyVercetti,
You ask why? Maybe for ratings. Maybe because the reporter has an agenda to push or wants to become famous. Who knows.

Lethal

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
The point here is NOT whether 'the media' make/made up some 'big stories'. This number might be rather small.

It's about the 'every day' smaller stories which get prepped up and 'made exciting' with some add-ons so they sell better.
No one is interested in boring news, and exciting news/stories sell better..especially if they have some 'emotional' components in them.