Has my weight training helped my running? Or just my imagination?

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Since reducing my rest periods to only a minute between sets, I've subjected myself to a very serious cardio-like load, especially during big movements like squats, dead lifts and T bar row. After doing this for a few weeks, I've noticed I've been running with much less effort. The effect was enough for me to really take notice and question why I had the sudden improvement. I think its from doing this. Does that make sense?

Reactions: Mac Bateman

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Were you lifting and running before?

If yes to both, I'm going to suggest the influence was likely minimal at best. Unless by running you mean quick efforts of less than 5 minutes. Then maybe.

If yes to only running, yes for sure.

If yes to only lifting, yes for sure, but it is more likely to be more running that is having the positive effect.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
With shorter rests you're keeping your workout to more of an aerobic load vs anaerobic load, which certainly could help your running. More than likely though, you're seeing placebo effects.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
It helped me. Lifting heavy is some serious cardio.
if by 'serious cardio' you mean 'I've never actually done real cardio training and i breathe heavy while lifting' then yes.

Otherwise, no. lifting heavy is not serious cardio.

Feb 25, 2011
I vaguely remember learning in college that the track team all had to do free weights as well. (I was not on the team of course, but had friends who were.)

So supposedly it helps.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Running motion is pretty much a repetitive motion....with the exception of running uphill, downhill, and on flat ground.

Some of my biggest gains in running were doing an Insanity aerobics class....same would be true for lifting weights because you're working the muscles that you don't work when you run.....or working them out differently. In either case, it's a win-win if you don't get injured.

Lateral movements are not typical when running and those hib abductor/adductor machines are great to work the hard-to-reach muscles. Of course all the core and back muscles are great to work out too because they help your form.