Has anyone seen this?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
OK, I'm guilty as charged. Partially anyway. The charge being that I am spreading lies that I read in a chain email.

If the information in the link provided is true, the following quote is made up. 'I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mother's race.'

However, this quote is factual. 'I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites.' Yes,it's out of context, I get it.

This is assuming that the information in the article linked to is in fact the truth. I have no reason to believe it's not, but I don't care to buy his book. If anyone has it and can do any further verification, bring it to my attention and we can go from there.

SP33Demon did not quote me on the second one and hat's off to you for having the integrity to do so.

GroundedSailor, if you are Moonbeams PR person, (whether appointed or self-appointed) that's your choice. Although it's highly unlikely, if your ever feel the desire to defend me - don't. I'm man enough to do that for myself.

Moonbeam, you lost me as soon as you started the name calling. Most children cease the name calling when they reach adulthood. Your point is lost when you resort to those tactics.

So once again, I apologize for my mistake.

I have tried to stay impartial in my postings regarding this election. I've not decided yet on who I'll be voting for this election, but I will say that I voted for Kerry in the last. Anyone's assumption here that I will vote Republican, vote for or against a man because of the color of his skin is purely conjecture on their part. What I have seen here is a tremendous amount of venom spewing forth from Obama supporters. I don't know how anyone can expect to persuade others to their point of view by belittling, berating and name calling. I don't see your candidate doing that. Why are you?

What I try do is point out the opposing point of view. Trying to get people to think a little bit. But the knee-jerk reactions from Obama supporters here are so predictable that it's hard to resist throwing a zinger in from time to time. A lot of people at the Forums find P&N to be intimidating. I find it highly entertaining.

You all take it so damned serious. We'll survive regardless of who ends up in the White House.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: boomerang
OK, I'm guilty as charged. Partially anyway. The charge being that I am spreading lies that I read in a chain email.

If the information in the link provided is true, the following quote is made up. 'I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mother's race.'

However, this quote is factual. 'I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites.' Yes,it's out of context, I get it.

This is assuming that the information in the article linked to is in fact the truth. I have no reason to believe it's not, but I don't care to buy his book. If anyone has it and can do any further verification, bring it to my attention and we can go from there.

SP33Demon did not quote me on the second one and hat's off to you for having the integrity to do so.
Well, regarding your second quote, a quick google search finds it on Factcheck:
Other quotes in the e-mail are offered without their full context, which we offer here.

Misleading e-mail: From Dreams of My Father: "I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites."

Actual quote from "Dreams from My Father" [pg. xv]: When people who don't know me well, black or white, discover my background (and it is usually a discovery, for I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of twelve or thirteen, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites), I see the split-second adjustments they have to make, the searching of my eyes for some telltale sign. They no longer know who I am. Privately, they guess at my troubled heart, I suppose - the mixed blood, the divided soul, the ghostly image of the tragic mulatto trapped between two worlds. And if I were to explain that no, the tragedy is not mine, or at least not mine alone, it is yours, sons and daughters of Plymouth Rock and Ellis Island, it is yours, children of Africa, it is the tragedy of both my wife's six-year-old cousin and his white first grade classmates, so that you need not guess at what troubles me, it's on the nightly news for all to see, and that if we could acknowledge at least that much then the tragic cycle begins to break down...well, I suspect that I sound incurably naive, wedded to lost hopes, like those Communists who peddle their newspapers on the fringes of various college towns. Or worse, I sound like I'm trying to hide from myself.

On its own, the quote can be interpreted as Obama rejecting his white heritage and, by extension, the entire white population. But, in full context, the statement is part of Obama's assessment of "black or white" individuals' first impressions of him as a person of mixed race.
I'm glad you had the balls to admit you pasted them from a chain letter, it's no big deal.

FWIW, I'm changing my vote from 3rd Party Lib to Obama just for this election because I'm in Virginia (Obama only has to win Iowa, VA, and Kerry's states to win this election). I will castrate myself before I see such a radical social conservative like Palin that close to the button. My $.02

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: boomerang
GroundedSailor, if you are Moonbeams PR person, (whether appointed or self-appointed) that's your choice. Although it's highly unlikely, if your ever feel the desire to defend me - don't. I'm man enough to do that for myself.

First of all I am not in any way Moonbeams PR. read what I wrote, "Moonbeam may not always post what all of us can understand, but once in a while he comes up with gems like this one." I have chided him on the obscurity of his posts in the past as have many others on this board. But I'm man enough to acknowledge when someone says something sensible and logical. I don't need to blow my own trumpet.

Rather than defending him I was pointing out the rationality in his post which you either missed or have chosen to ignore because it goes against the arguments you have made so far.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Specop 007

Whats the difference? They both want to destroy America as we know it. One with weapons, one with taxes, social programs and wealth redistribution.

Are you certain that America hasn't already been destroyed by wealth redistribution? The force of Global Labor Arbitrage has effectively redistributed wealth from the dwindling middle class to the wealthy.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: ironwing
Originally posted by: ironwing
Originally posted by: umbrella39
My God, I really think some of these people think that UBL and BHO is the same person. Quite frankly, these people are scary.

Whats the difference? They both want to destroy America as we know it. One with weapons, one with taxes, social programs and wealth redistribution.

Obama loves everybody. Even you.

Middle class white person?
Oh yes. He loves me. He loves the fact he can squeeze me till I'm dry and give it to the poor.

Sweet dreams, cupcake. :lips:

Doesnt actually bother me. In some ways I look forward to retiring WAY early and getting my gubment cheese. :)

Read his sig... it bothers him DEEPLY....

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Vic
Specop is just upset because he missed the rally because the klan meeting ran long, and then he got stuck in traffic dropping his sheets off at the cleaners.

Awww Chromy, you're still banging out hate speech eh?

No surprise. At least you've moved up from flinging poo. Surprisingly.

lol, don't you know. If you are a white middle class person who doesn't support BHO then you are a racist and have klan meetings to go to.

Same old liberal/dem BS - play the race card as often as possible....

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Specop is just upset because he missed the rally because the klan meeting ran long, and then he got stuck in traffic dropping his sheets off at the cleaners.

lol, don't you know. If you are a white middle class person who doesn't support BHO then you are a racist and have klan meetings to go to.

F'n apologists!

:roll:

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

F'n apologists!

For what? I was merely pointing out YOUR tactic of throwing around the race card just because someone doesn't support BHO.
Someday I hope you'll grow up /wake up and realize how incredibly naive you were for supporting the likes of BHO. I'm not going to hold my breath though...

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
[
F'n apologists!

For what? I was merely pointing out YOUR tactic of throwing around the race card just because someone doesn't support BHO.
Someday I hope you'll grow up /wake up and realize how incredibly naive you were for supporting the likes of BHO. I'm not going to hold my breath though...
I really wish you would;)

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
[
F'n apologists!

I really wish you would;)

I only do that when i'm in the physical presence of you long haired dope smoking hippie liberals... ;)

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

F'n apologists!

I made that comment because Specop007 repeatedly makes questionably racist comments here (check his sig for example), and not because of how he is voting.
In fact, if you had actually read the thread, you would see where I pointed out that Obama is in fact a "middle class white person" himself IMO (having been raised by his middle class white grandmother), so what would drive Specop to believe that Obama hates that group as he implied? Answer that, eh?

I have NEVER said or "thrown around the race card just because someone doesn't support BHO." That's bullshit and you know it. In fact, I have repeatedly argued against anyone who has actually done that. I am (and always have been) intolerant of intolerance, and I always call it out when I see it, regardless of that person's other opinions, stance, party, whatever.

So fuck off and die, eh? I'm sick of your constant lies and pointless personal attacks. You're all vitriol and no substance.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

F'n apologists!

I made that comment because Specop007 repeatedly makes questionably racist comments here (check his sig for example), and not because of how he is voting.
In fact, if you had actually read the thread, you would see where I pointed out that Obama is in fact a "middle class white person" himself IMO (having been raised by his middle class white grandmother), so what would drive Specop to believe that Obama hates that group as he implied? Answer that, eh?

I have NEVER said or "thrown around the race card just because someone doesn't support BHO." That's bullshit and you know it. In fact, I have repeatedly argued against anyone who has actually done that. I am (and always have been) intolerant of intolerance, and I always call it out when I see it, regardless of that person's other opinions, stance, party, whatever.

So fuck off and die, eh? I'm sick of your constant lies and pointless personal attacks. You're all vitriol and no substance.

YOU JUST DID. Are you that blinded by your BHO blinders?

Sheesh. Get a clue Vic - You attacked specop with the racism charge. He doesn't support BHO and so you and/or others want to claim "questionably racist comments". THAT is playing the race card.
IMO, you should try to be honest with yourself instead of lying to yourself. If you were, you'd see that my calling you out is not a lie. However, as I've stated, I have next to zero hope that you'll wake up and realize your insanity.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Looks like someone can't read a thread.

What's worse is that Obama grew up middle class white. So why would Specop assume otherwise to this extreme? Hmm..

F'n apologists! :roll:

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

You are an ignorant ass who can't begin to understand the very precocious words of a thirty four year old reflecting on a thirteen year old biracial person coming to terms with the reality of racism and race. Those words show not only a profound and honest understanding of self, they show maturity of emotional evolution. Such words could be uttered only by somebody with wisdom and self respect. That you don't see this tells me you are an ignorant pig.

"I'm sure he's embraced the white ways now." What a putz you are.

What Moonie said.

microbial

Oct 10, 2008
Let's be clear and put the blame for such hate demonstrations squarely where it belongs: John McCain.

His attack ads are like gasoline over a smoldering pile of kindling.

Telling an old lady that Obama is not an Arab (as if that were a bad thing) is no substitute for acting dishonorably in his campaign (100% of his ads for more than a month now).

McCain you should be ashamed of yourself!

Jun 26, 2007
I see shit like that every day, in the disputed areas of Pakistan.

It's funny to see people become what they fear.