Has anyone ever heard of the Visa/Mastercard "Black" card?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Ketteringo
Originally posted by: DaWhim
annual fee is $5000
rolleye.gif

one FW'er has it.

$2,500, not $5,000.

oops, my memory cheated me.
it is a charge card too.

Tetsuo

Lifer
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by: ThaGrandCow
annual fee is $5000
rolleye.gif

one FW'er has it.

1. If you've got enough money to even qualify for this card (If you even ask about what it takes to qualify you do not qualify) then $5k/year is like a regular person paying 10 cents per year
2. The benefits you get from the card FAR outweigh the piddly ammount you pay. Think automatic upgrades on flights/hotels at no charge, personal assistants wherever you go at no charge, etc... You'd burn through the $5k annual fee in your first few weeks of using this card if you were to pay for it on your own.

I agree.

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Tetsuo
Originally posted by: Windogg
One of my friends has the Amex Centurian card. Its funny to watch him use it in places like Walmart because the clerks have no idea what the card is most of the time. On threatened to call the cops because she thought it was a fake card. Some of the things that card allows is hilarious. You can arrange to have a store "closed" so you can shop in private. A bunch of us are trying to convince him to do something stupid like get a Target or Payless closed. So who is this guy? Well, you hear less about his family nowadays since they got knocked off the Global 1000 because their company dropped below $1B in sales.

Sure....
rolleye.gif

Drop by Boston sometime. You can meet him. Real nice guy and down to earth. You would never know his family is that loaded. The M5 community is small. Everyone seems to know everyone. Not many people I know are crazy enough to have a M5 in Hong Kong. Also keeps one in Boston.

Tetsuo

Lifer
Oct 20, 2002
One of my friends has the Amex Centurian card. Its funny to watch him use it in places like Walmart because the clerks have no idea what the card is most of the time. On threatened to call the cops because she thought it was a fake card. Some of the things that card allows is hilarious. You can arrange to have a store "closed" so you can shop in private. A bunch of us are trying to convince him to do something stupid like get a Target or Payless closed. So who is this guy? Well, you hear less about his family nowadays since they got knocked off the Global 1000 because their company dropped below $1B in sales.

Sure....
rolleye.gif

Drop by Boston sometime.

If I could I would. If he's loaded, he can pay for my trip :p

bsmithy

Oct 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Imdmn04
How rich do u have to be to get one of those cards?

doctor rich?
movie star rich?
Mark Cuban rich?
or Paul Allen kinda rich?

Obviously you dont need to be Bill Gates rich to get this card, because if that was true, there would be 1 black card in the world.

not with the appalling state of the dollar at the moment

$1.82 = £1

If you look at it like this, alot of europeans have caught up to billy

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: ThaGrandCow
annual fee is $5000
rolleye.gif

one FW'er has it.

1. If you've got enough money to even qualify for this card (If you even ask about what it takes to qualify you do not qualify) then $5k/year is like a regular person paying 10 cents per year
2. The benefits you get from the card FAR outweigh the piddly ammount you pay. Think automatic upgrades on flights/hotels at no charge, personal assistants wherever you go at no charge, etc... You'd burn through the $5k annual fee in your first few weeks of using this card if you were to pay for it on your own.

I agree.

3. I'd give my left nut to have this card.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

I'm finding it pretty hard to believe that you can just shut any store down with a credit card. I wonder if we can find a site with info on it :) Maybe you can arrange to have a private shopping session in certain high-end boutique-like stores or something? I just did a quick google search and no site mentioned it. I would think they would mention such a whacky thing!

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: CanOWorms

I'm finding it pretty hard to believe that you can just shut any store down with a credit card. I wonder if we can find a site with info on it :) Maybe you can arrange to have a private shopping session in certain high-end boutique-like stores or something?

I guess people are not realizing the power that this card has. Obviously you can't walk into a Walmart at 5:30PM on a friday night and tell everyone to get the fvck out, but the stores that people that have this card will shop in can be shut down for a few hours at a time (cc companies do have a large ammount of power over most stores). You'll have to schedule it in advance, but it can be done.

Keep this in mind... this card was made by the CC companies because of requests from the ludicrously rich who had nothing tangible to show to their "lesser" friends, the ones who were only obscenely rich.

I remember when this card was first released and all the rumors flew about. For quite some time noone even knew what the card looked like (many photoshop fakes) or what any of the benefits were (Amex's description was "the card for the super elite" or something like that, nothing more). It took quite a while before a rich person finally leaked the perks and the companies had to officially acknowledge the existance of the card.

As for your request for a site with more info... straight from the horses mouth.

Note some of the perks:
-Special privileges will be extended to Centurion members at Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue, including personal shopper services, invitations to exclusive events, free consultation for restyling of precious jewelry (Neiman Marcus) and private shopping hours (Saks.)
***PRIVATE SHOPPING HOURS to Saks. This isn't Walmart. If you walk into Saks, you're walking out with at least a 4 digit reciept. ***

Upgrades to the Concorde at no additional cost with the purchase of a full-fare, first-class transatlantic ticket to or from London and any British Airways gateway in the United States.
***Buy a regular ticket, get the Concorde for free! That's almost 3-4 times the original ticket price***

Obviously, American Express takes care of the people that spend millions of dollars a year using their services.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Sh!t 4 digits at Saks? Hell, if I had the card and that money I'd be more like 5 or 6 digits. Saks pwns.

gunblade

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2002
Originally posted by: CanOWorms

I'm finding it pretty hard to believe that you can just shut any store down with a credit card. I wonder if we can find a site with info on it :) Maybe you can arrange to have a private shopping session in certain high-end boutique-like stores or something? I just did a quick google search and no site mentioned it. I would think they would mention such a whacky thing!

Yeah only certain store. A daily income of one Walmart store will far outweight your 500 year membership fee for the Centurion card.

Cable God

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Ketteringo
annual fee is $5000
rolleye.gif

one FW'er has it.

$2,500, not $5,000.

oops, my memory cheated me.
it is a charge card too.

Nope. No payback terms, no interest. Our executives here have one each. Their minumum qualification if being a platinum holder for 10+ years and spending a minumum of $150K/year on it.

Zombie

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 1999
it's still a CREDIT CARD and you do have to pay back the money you charge on the card.