Harvard Business School professor reacts to $4 restaurant overcharge

Who do you side with?

• Restaurant owner is a thief

• Professor is a jerk and a bully

Results are only viewable after voting.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
Recently Harvard Business School students have decried their professor's actions and claim that he is perpetuating negative stereotypes about them.

Here is the original story:

http://www.boston.com/food-dining/r...hab6uUY1COCnTbrXP/story.html?p1=Must_Reads_hp

Ben Edelman is an associate professor at Harvard Business School, where he teaches in the Negotiation, Organizations & Markets unit.

Ran Duan manages The Baldwin Bar, located inside the Woburn location of Sichuan Garden, a Chinese restaurant founded by his parents.

Last week, Edelman ordered what he thought was $53.35 worth of Chinese food from Sichuan Garden’s Brookline Village location.

Edelman soon came to the horrifying realization that he had been overcharged. By a total of $4.

If you’ve ever wondered what happens when a Harvard Business School professor thinks a family-run Chinese restaurant screwed him out of $4, you’re about to find out.

(Hint: It involves invocation of the Massachusetts Consumer Protection Statute and multiple threats of legal action.)

The email exchange is at the link.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Meh...we went out to dinner over Thanksgiving weekend. My wife added a $7.50 tip to the bill. Imagine her surprise when our bank statement showed that the bill had been increased by $75. instead of $7.50!

Fortunately she caught it quickly and got it fixed. (manager claims it was a "typo" when entering the tip amount.) :rolleyes: But...that's actually what I believe happened too.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I'd be willing to bet that when he placed his order, the call ended with "your total comes to XX.XX"

If he OKed the amount at that time, then he has no right to bitch.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
No sympathy for Harvard prof here, he is the one at fault. Normal people who do honest work everyday and make our own money, face small issues like these on daily basis, its called life. Anyone making a big deal out of it is a USDA certified Grade A DB

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
The so-called "overcharge" is simply that the website prices the prof looked at hadn't been corrected yet for recent menu price increases. This was explained to him by the owner.

If I was the restaurant owner I would have adjusted his bill and updated the website pronto. If I was the prof I would've dropped the matter upon hearing the explanation.

Fern

Last edited:

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I'd be willing to bet that when he placed his order, the call ended with "your total comes to XX.XX"

If he OKed the amount at that time, then he has no right to bitch.

They don't tell me that when I order Chinese food unless I ask, but either way the prof. is a tool. He could have just taken the $4.00 and thanked the manager for his help. Now he gets to be an Internet dickhead for his 15 minutes.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Well, if it was $4,000 instead of $4 I think people would feel differently. If you're ordering from the website menu it is misleading if the prices are different (especially without any disclaimer which they added after the fact). Update your damn websites

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
He offered to refund the money and he updated his site, which rights the wrong in my book. Edelman is obviously a troll.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
It's the consumers responsibility to check the prices of what he's paying for at the time of purchase.

-1 to guy who probably makes 6 figures a year bitching over $4. What a tool.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Edelman also demanded triple damages and wanted $12 back because he is a trolling dick. Restaurant tried to right the wrong and then Dbag states the authorities are involved. At that point the restaurant has no recourse but to get a lawyer and let it play out from that end.
I think someone was looking for their 15 minutes of internet fame (and never being able to order from a restaurant in the town they live in).

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This part of the world isn't that big. I'm sure the good professor is going to get top notch service from all the food establishments he frequents from now on.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
What a fucking dickhead.

He probably makes more than the restaurant does a year, and hes bitching about a simple mistake? The owner said he would refund him the discrepancy anyway, so whats the big deal? We are all just human, nobody is perfect.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Ben Edelman is a self entitled ass. The ONLY thing giving him ANY leverage is the English legal system. The restaurant has made every effort to keep him as a customer. At this point, I'd tell him to never come back and use my influence to encourage other restaurants from doing business with him as well. However, that's an American viewpoint and there's probably some English law against that.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
In the end, the customer was correct but took it way too far. If that Chinese place was local, I'd order some this week. Owner seems like a stand up guy.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Some Doctors, lawyers, professors and others that WE hold up as being higher level people can have this sort of this behavior and attitude. After all, WE look up to these people; WE strive to be them; WE pay top dollar to have their services. No wonder these people can think their something special.

I once had a Doctor call me late because of a issue regarding the service we provided him (or did not in this case). On the voicemail, he said "I'm Doctor X from Y University" and claimed he did not get what he wanted, etc. So some of the people from these professions refer to themselves not as their name but by the professional title that they have. If you think about it, why did he mention that he was Doctor? Was that going to get him better service? Who knows.

We all need to stop holding certain people up; they are not better than anyone else. They have a higher "education' but as people, they're just like everyone else - full of flaws.

No offense to Doctors, lawyers, professors and anyone else. Nothing personal but just some things I've observed. Maybe I'm wrong as well.

Sep 29, 2004
Oh and the food? Edelman admitted: &#8220;It was delicious.&#8221;

Hope he enjoyed it because they will never serve him again.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
-1 to guy who probably makes 6 figures a year bitching over $4. What a tool.

The guy charged $400 per hour for consultations while he was still just a sophomore in college. Now with a Harvard JD, MBA, and teaching position, I'd sure he's well into seven figures.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Aside from the 3x damages/penalty charge up-front which made me assume perpetuation of a different negative stereotype, I don't see what's wrong with what the professor did. He started off pretty mildly and managed to get them to change their outdated menu.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Aside from the 3x damages/penalty charge up-front which made me assume perpetuation of a different negative stereotype, I don't see what's wrong with what the professor did. He started off pretty mildly and managed to get them to change their outdated menu.

Sure, but mission accomplished at that point, right? Going as far as to inform authorities during such a benign exchange seems simply punitive for the sake of being so.

Last edited:

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Wow a Harvard degree and he can't total an order and verify it matches what he ordered.

If 2+2 = 4 and the guy tells you 5 you should be smart enough to figure out that somehow the math does not add up and he added an extra 1.