Hardware and/or Software solution needed for reliable remote access

jfp555

Oct 17, 2014
I would like to know what would be an ideal case solution for remotely accessing a windows machine. I know it sounds simple, but I'm keen on building a robust solution that can weather the accidental reboot or two. I hear good things about UltraVNC but portforwarding on the network the host machine is behind is not an option.

I was considering adding a usb wifi dongle to the machine, and perhaps portforward that? As I said, I'm kind of interesting in a solution that goes beyond simply installing TeamViewer and calling it a day. Would love to learn how far things have come in this arena.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
TeamViewer is the best I have used. What's wrong with it?

UltraVNC just sucks, very unstable in my past experience. Haven't used it for several years though.

And why does this remote control has anything to do with adding another USB WiFi dongle?

Wired ethernet is much better than any WiFi unless you have issue with the wired adapter.

==

Other options if you decide TeamViewer is not your thing. https://alternativeto.net/software/teamviewer/

If you think one of the software probably will malfunction, you can install and configure several of them.

Last edited:

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
AnyDesk is what I prefer but there are a few options. A hardware solution might be a raspberry pi with guacamole running as a proxy/gateway for RDP.