Hard wood choices.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Greenman
Red Oak plywood will be the cheapest dark wood you can use. You can also edge band it with oak screen mold, stick it on with glue and pin nails. If you really want a repairable finish, use natural danish oil.
Do yourself a favor and get a pocket screw jig, you'll find yourself using it every time you build something. Pocket screws are the greatest invention since the table saw.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11469

Greenman,

Thanks for the reply. I'm probably going red oak. Now it's a matter of deciding whether or not I should make the actual platform for the train tracks out of plywood (with red oak veneer) or not.

I also have to be careful about sag. I've sen what pine can do after leaning against a wall for several months. Is this an issue with red oak or hickory?

Sep 29, 2004
Sorry if I made a typo. It is 7" high and 2' long. Along with the already supplied link, wikipedia has a very good page on various model railroading scales.

I'll look into hickory also.

Thank you all!

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
If you manufacture your shelf with an edge of plywood 2~2.5" high, and attach that to the shelf with glue, the shelf will never sag along the length. It will be too strong for that.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Red Oak is nice. It'll probably be the cheapest hardwood that has a distinct grain pattern that you can find in quantity. Cheaper would be plywood with one side being red oak.

In that picture the cross-ties are extended a little beyond your support shelf. Are you going to do it like that? If so edge banding would be fine. Otherwise, I think I would want a little softer edge.

You might want to check craigslist or ebay too.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: skyking
If you manufacture your shelf with an edge of plywood 2~2.5" high, and attach that to the shelf with glue, the shelf will never sag along the length. It will be too strong for that.

Very good advice.
I'd use plywood for the whole thing. Bear in mind that the veneer they use is very thin, so it's easy to chew the edge up when you cross cut it, unless you have a very good saw and blade you should score it with a knife on your cut line.

Edit: just noticed that I'm a quarter of the way to lifer, at this rate I'll make it in just nine short years, go me.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Rosy palm wood is very renewable and environmentally friendly.

The sticky white sap is a pain, though it really takes a hand rubbed finish.