Happy Pczki Day!

Mixolydian

Lifer
Nov 7, 2011
gilramirez.net
Load up on these babies, my fellow polacks. :)

p&

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Pownch-Key.

Pown rhymes with "own"

I never quite understood polish. I've read the wiki on the language and whatnot, but I never quite understood how things are pronounced.

Edit: Which is it damnit?? pOONsh-key? pOWNsh-key?

Only answer if you speak it or a person you know does.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
I can't watch youtube here. I'll have to watch later (If this is in relation to you answering my question).

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I never quite understood polish. I've read the wiki on the language and whatnot, but I never quite understood how things are pronounced.

Dad is Polish. Mom is Polish. I guess that makes me Polish. Grew up near Buffalo, had a lot of Polish around us.

Like I said a couple posts up:

"Ponschki"

Phonetically I guess it would be "Pahn'shkey".

That's how we said it. That's how it was said at Broadway Market. That's how it is. You'll obviously get a bit of regional differences due to accents.

Mixolydian

Lifer
Nov 7, 2011
gilramirez.net

It's a subject of fierce debate. :)

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Dad is Polish. Mom is Polish. I guess that makes me Polish. Grew up near Buffalo, had a lot of Polish around us.

"Ponschki"

Phonetically I guess it would be "Pahn'shkey".

That's how we said it. That's how it was said at Broadway Market. That's how it is. You'll obviously get a bit of regional differences due to accents.

Hm, so there are accents? Interesting.

so far I've now seen it pronounced in here as "Poonshski", "Pownshski" and now "Pahnshski" which all sound different. The 2nd and 3rd I can see being an accent thing, because they sound similar, but the first is fairly different.

Wiki has the phoenetics of that a with the squiggle thing as an o that's kind of cut open (looks like a backwards c) followed by an n or m.

Edit: Apparently that is a nasel vowel, which basically sounds like "ONG" if you were saying the wrong "wrong".

So, knowing nothing really about it, and just technically speaking, I suppose it should be pronounced as "pawn'sh-key" but you peeps have your own ways of saying it, probably all correct. But, out of those three above, I'd go with the 3rd pronunciation.

Last edited:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

"Ponschki"

Phonetically I guess it would be "Pahnsh-key".

Yeah I think regional dialects may play a part.

Here in Toledo there is a large Polish population.

Around here, it seems to be agreed upon that "Poonshkey" is the proper pronunciation. So, "poonsh-key" or "poon-shkey". I think both might be mildly different from one region of Poland, and could be similar to a different region in Poland.

I am a Polish descendant, though quite removed of course. I'm like 1/8th Polish, my great-grandma was 100% but born here to Polish immigrants.
I am somewhat familiar with the pronunciation due to the Cyrillic alphabet and influence, but it is nowhere near universal.

edit: According to wiki and the audio clip there, it is "pawnch-ki" or "pawnshkey"
And yet, this pronunciation highly downplays the "n" sound, bringing it much closer to how one might believe it appears. More like "pawsh-ki" - perhaps the "n" is simply so heavily unstressed it is almost inaudible. This might be common as English-speaking tongues almost always struggle with some minute or "unstressed" or "soft" letters or sounds that native-tongue speakers in almost any language get correct daily.

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
We had no such a day in Poland (American made up tradition of some kind?)

What we do have is a day called "greasy Thursday" in which we do devour all kinds of unhealthy snacks....but NOT just "Paczek".

And that day was Thursday Feb 12.....not this week......

:)

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
By regional differences, I mean American regional differences.

Kind of like how in most of the US it's "car", but in Boston it's "cah". :p

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
A coworker took orders for us last week, and I was able to try them for the first time today. Not bad at all! I ordered several varieties, Bavarian Cream, Raspberry, Strawberry w/ Cheese, and Apple to share with my family. I had the Bavarian Cream earlier and it wasn't much different than a filled doughnut. It was a little bigger, but it mostly tasted just the same as a good doughnut.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
We had no such a day in Poland (American made up tradition of some kind?)

What we do have is a day called "greasy Thursday" in which we do devour all kinds of unhealthy snacks....but NOT just "Paczek".

And that day was Thursday Feb 12.....not this week......

:)

Was your family not Catholic in Poland?

It's really just Fat Tuesday, the day to use up all your forbidden household goods of the old Lenten traditions (lard one was of the biggies, I think, and eggs), and so the tasty fried fat-rich dough balls were a convenient way but surely not the only way in the actual land. It also wasn't much different from similar doughnuts in other countries of Europe that were one of many things made in large quantities to clear out certain ingredient inventories.