Handsome Her goes bust.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That is one of the many variables that needs to be controlled for - but the lefties aren't concerned with it. They have their oppression olympics narratives and they run with it.

This is simply economics. Just because you enjoy lesbian basket weaving doesn't mean you should get paid the same amount as a rocket engineer.

Just because you enjoy teaching, doesn't mean you should be paid like a Fortune 500 CEO.

That is precisely what is being stated when people complain that they get paid 77 cents for each dollar of a male. There is nothing holding people back from becoming an engineer other than one's own self-ignorance.
And even after controlling for all those variables, there is still a wage gap.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Nope. There is not a wage gap based on sex. Any gap exists due to life choices, not being male vs. female. If I could hire all women and save 18% on labor I'd get a nice bonus at work, but that is not how it works, it does not exist.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Don't care about this restaurant's politics or whatnot but given their prices and uninspiring menu I'm not surprised they closed. AU$21 for a bagel is ridiculous even in greater Melbourne. Unless you want to pay a super premium for vegan food served by feminists I'd much rather go to some of the many other veg friendly dining options in town. There's an incredible amount of great Malaysian restaurants in town for example.

https://www.zomato.com/melbourne/handsome-her-brunswick/menu

$15 US for a bagel sandwich? Holy shit.

Nov 8, 2012

Which there have been plenty of theories as to why and by how much that variance is. The key is that the variance isn't 23% or anything else ridiculous like that. It's more in the ballpark of 3-6% or such.

Men act differently than women. This is a fact. It is also different in each industry - with some jobs have the wage gap being in favor of women. But just in general - some things that can definitely play a factor in the wage discrepancies would include:

-Men are more likely to move jobs. I can tell you this myself - my wife loves to complain about her work. She has moved 0 times since she got her job out of college. I've moved 3 times, my pay has since quadrupled over the years from when I started my first job out of college.

-Men are more likely to ask for a raise, or ask for a higher starting salary. I've argued my starting pay for all of the jobs I've taken.

-Men are more likely to push/ask for promotion.

Plenty of others I'm not thinking of at the moment, but you get the obvious point.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Says the guy enraged about an Australian restaurant's pricing policies. lol.

It's fun watching the unhinged TrumpTerrorists try and pawn off their daily triggered ragefests on "the left"... Whoever that even is.... Fun to watch them tell others they are the triggered ones while kneejerking 5 new OP's a day they were offended by...

Add being ugly, fat, and being stupid as fuck to the unemployed troll qualifications resume.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
How exactly does a failed restaurant demonstrate that wage gap, inequality, and patriarchy are make believe?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It's fun watching the unhinged TrumpTerrorists try and pawn off their daily triggered ragefests on "the left"... Whoever that even is.... Fun to watch them tell others they are the triggered ones while kneejerking 5 new OP's a day they were offended by...

Add being ugly, fat, and being stupid as fuck to the unemployed troll qualifications resume.

I read some of the lefty posts here and think of the irony of telling me I'm the one that is unhinged and angry.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
$15 US for a bagel sandwich? Holy shit.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure even the restaurants inside Disney World charge less than that for comparable food and they at least offer Mickey Mouse (part of the patriarchy!) eating with you there. You'd probably need to visit a Michelin 3-star place and have shaved white truffle on your bagel sandwich to achieve the prices on the former Handsome Her menu.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
The restaurant's idea was stupid.
The point(s) the OP is attempting to make (and failing) is stupider.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Did this moron just make a thread about a restaurant closing in Australia?

Normally people who attack others is the moran. Why not just stick to facts? Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean that they are stupid, a moron, and unintelligent. BTW, intelligence can be measured in many ways. Two being IQ and EQ. It's obvious that you have little with regards to EQ. In fact, it had been found that EQ is a much better predictor for success than IQ.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
So in this article on Ars https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...s-turn-for-an-anti-diversity-internal-revolt/

Which should probably have its own thread (MS has it’s own Google Tech Bro moment) the author links a number of studies about biases against women in science, software and finance:

Research has shown merely having a male name produces a more positive assessment of a job application, having a male presenter produces more positive reactions to pitches, and that managers skew their judgement criteria so as to favor men. Software developers who don't happen to be white and male are paid less than white men, and women, unlike men, are viewed negatively when they attempt to negotiate higher pay.

While anecdotes are not data, from my own family 100% of the women/girls have experienced biases against them starting from school, (math / science), onwards through work (medicine, engineering, comp sci).

Reactions: Victorian Gray

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
This is the beautiful side of capitalism. These women alientated a large part of their base. Why would a man even want to shop in a place like this? They said "screw you" and voted with their Australian dollars elsewhere. In turn, this business is now OUT OF BUSINESS. Isn't capitalism great! My parents were small business owners for many years. Very successful as well. It's a hard road. We have a saying "Entrapanures work 80 hours a week so we don't have to work 40." Anyway, maybe they've learned a valuable lesson. Don't alientate your customer base.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Normally people who attack others is the moran. Why not just stick to facts? Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean that they are stupid, a moron, and unintelligent. BTW, intelligence can be measured in many ways. Two being IQ and EQ. It's obvious that you have little with regards to EQ. In fact, it had been found that EQ is a much better predictor for success than IQ.

Whether or not SlowSpyder agrees with me has nothing to do with whether or not he is stupid. I think a sober evaluation of the available facts from his posts on this board would clearly establish that he’s dumb.

I’m very sorry to hear of your low opinion of my emotional intelligence though. I will do my best to soldier on despite this burden.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Whether or not SlowSpyder agrees with me has nothing to do with whether or not he is stupid. I think a sober evaluation of the available facts from his posts on this board would clearly establish that he’s dumb.

I’m very sorry to hear of your low opinion of my emotional intelligence though. I will do my best to soldier on despite this burden.

I just think we all need to be kinder to each other? Can we all just get along? :):):)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
1) I am not a moron.
--claim unsupported by substantial evidence of posting history.
2) About a restaurant that has been in the news and owned by bigots closing down in Australia.
--makes subjective claims about terms he clearly does not understand.
3) Also posted the privilege bridge.
--posts phrases undefined by literate humans.
4) We both claim to be against bigotry, I'm just against all bigotry while you are for certain types.
--claim unsupported by substantial evidence of posting history.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I just think we all need to be kinder to each other? Can we all just get along? :):):)

I agree with you that people on here should be nicer to each other, generally! People resort to personal attacks way too quickly when their opinions are challenged.

That being said, I believe we should absolutely insult people like SlowSpyder who have demonstrated their bad faith over and over again. He's richly earned the insults people give to him and so who are we to deprive him of the fruits of his labors?

Nov 8, 2012
I agree with you that people on here should be nicer to each other, generally! People resort to personal attacks way too quickly when their opinions are challenged.

That being said, I believe we should absolutely insult people like SlowSpyder who have demonstrated their bad faith over and over again. He's richly earned the insults people give to him and so who are we to deprive him of the fruits of his labors?

#FuckOffTroll

Amidoinitrite?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
If the wage gap wasn't a myth, businesses would just do nothing but hire women you incompetent retard. Don't go out of your way to observe facts, logic, reasoning - or control for variables. Be a part of the victim culture mentality with no facts - just stupidity.

[
How was this response in any way an intelligent, logical, or even rational answer to my question?

I'll ask again: Are you're saying that everyone makes the same incomes, and that women and minorities hold the same positions of power?

Now please show us on the doll where that question touched you.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
You might want to bring that up with the posters who initiate the unkindness rather than those responding to it. I'm not saying that 2 wrongs make a right, just that your act has worn thin.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
I read some of the lefty posts here and think of the irony of telling me I'm the one that is unhinged and angry.
Lets compare. You have to find a single bagel shop in a foreign country to prove your point. The lefty's are concerned about what's happening in the white house. But a failed bagel shop in Australia is clearly more pressing.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

You don't understand. You see, when Slow, or Someone, or any other 'conservative' poster has a grievance, then all must bow down to it and listen quietly and respectfully to them lest their free speech be upon infringed upon, and their delicate feels disturbed, and they go storming off in a huff to vote for Trump (like they were going to do anyway).
But if anyone else expresses a grievance that they don't share, then those leftist cuck whiners need to shut the fuck up with their imaginary victim culture, and just bend over and take it quietly. Yaknow, because free speech.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Lets compare. You have to find a single bagel shop in a foreign country to prove your point. The lefty's are concerned about what's happening in the white house. But a failed bagel shop in Australia is clearly more pressing.

What point did I try to prove? Again, this shop has been in the news, I've seen it in stories well before today. It is owned by divisive militant feminist bigots and they try to push politics through their storefront. They are in the news today for shutting down. That's it, this doesn't prove anything, it is a newsworthy story, this place going out of business, that's all. There is nothing to prove over this, it is simply a news worthy story.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Just because you enjoy teaching, doesn't mean you should be paid like a Fortune 500 CEO.
Yes, because every teacher out there making $50k/yr is demanding to be paid $10 million/yr. Those silly leftists!

Another question for you: is it logical or rational to frame an opinion you don't agree with within an absurd (obviously false) straw man? Isn't that really an emotional response? So that when presented with an opinion you dislike, you can convince yourself proudly that you have soundly proven it wrong, even when you haven't?

Reactions: dank69

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
What point did I try to prove? Again, this shop has been in the news, I've seen it in stories well before today. It is owned by divisive militant feminist bigots and they try to push politics through their storefront. They are in the news today for shutting down. That's it, this doesn't prove anything, it is a newsworthy story, this place going out of business, that's all. There is nothing to prove over this, it is simply a news worthy story.
Again, the only reason you even know about this is because billionaires have identified you as a gullible fool they can manipulate into doing their work for them.

Reactions: ivwshane