Handgun recommendation?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: 49erinnc
Just out of curiosity, what is required in order to go to a range without a weapon but to rent/test out theirs?

I'm assuming a permit in hand is required but would the permit alone, indicate I've had the safety classes as well or would I need additonal documents to go test fire some guns? I'm thinking the rentals at a range may be my best option before purchasing something. That way I'll have a better idea of the mechanics, firepower, safety features, appearance and how it feels in my hand. Could likely get some valuable information there from the experts as well.

Generally just 21+ (or accompanied by an adult) + a membership at the range.

Also if your budget is only $300 have you given thought to how much range time costs? You can easily drop $100 in an afternoon at the range (lane fees, gun rentals, their ammo, etc.). Once you have your own gun it's cheaper (no rental fees + cheaper ammo) but shooting is not cheap entertainment and $300 won't buy you much unless it's used.

Viper GTS

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
Just out of curiosity, what is required in order to go to a range without a weapon but to rent/test out theirs?

At the indoor range I go to all you have to do is give them your drivers license, some money and a signature on the dotted line.

When I purchased my handgun the guys behind the counter were very friendly and had a ton of knowledge.

Unheard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2003
I know I'm going to get crucified by some people for saying this, but for the $300-350 price range look @ the S&W Sigma series. I have a Sigma .40, and with over 1500 rounds through it, I have only had 1 FTE (and I'm pretty sure it's because I limp wristed it). From what I can tell, most the people trash talking the Sigma's have either never shot one and are going be hear-say, or have one of the 1st gen guns. The only thing I don't like about my Sigma is the trigger pull, but with some gunsmithing, you can get that reduced. I payed $350 for mine, brand new.

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

Generally just 21+ (or accompanied by an adult) + a membership at the range.

Also if your budget is only $300 have you given thought to how much range time costs? You can easily drop $100 in an afternoon at the range (lane fees, gun rentals, their ammo, etc.). Once you have your own gun it's cheaper (no rental fees + cheaper ammo) but shooting is not cheap entertainment and $300 won't buy you much unless it's used.

Viper GTS

Yeah, I'm aware of that. That's why I said I wouldn't be against spending outside my budget if it meant I was getting a much better weapon. I don't want to go too far beyond that because I am aware of the additional costs (ammo, range fees, case, etc.) And it's not like I'll be hitting the range every day. It's just something I'd like to do a couple times a month with my two buddies. They go once a month and seem to get their fill from it. If I had my own gun/ammo, I don't think the costs of going to the range that much would be too costly for me.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
If you want a revolver a Ruger gp100 is a good double action in your price range
In the 9's a P89 or 90 mentioned above work, or a Taurus cause of budget.

First time I went to the range between the various 9's and revolvers I tried out I liked the 1911 for a semi cause I have small hands, but me, my bro, and my buddy all said we prefered the 357 revolver which, before we even started, I was sure would have been last on the list. It was so easy to get on target for a beginner and something so Dirty Harry about it.
I hated the Glock just couldn't get the sites working for me. Berreta was OK

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
You can get into used SIGs and Glocks for $400 if you can push your budget a little provided you feel comfortable inspecting the gun (or know someone who can for you).

There are a number of CZ-75 clones that can be had for less that are also good guns.

Ruger also makes a good pistol IMO. Thousands of rounds (including many+P+) through my P89T and the only failure it ever had was due to a dead primer. They can be had lightly used to new for about $250-$325 most times.

I see someone has mentioned the Sigma. Personally, I never cared for these guns and they are kind of a pariah in the semi-auto world. If you can find one that works well they can be had quite reasonably as well.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I'm sort of interested in the same thing as the OP. I thought you could get a decent 9mm semi-auto for $350 but I guess that's a bit low. I suppose with a $500 limit (fee for the gun dealer, taxes, everything) you could get something decent?

I've read on here that you can get SKSs for like $200?? But a little hangun is about double the price?

I've fired a few of my friends guns one day at a range. He had a .22 handgun (very easy to fire!), two 9mm (either S&W or Glocks I think) one was rifled barrel, one not, and best of all his AR-15 with laser scope and other mods. Now that I'm 21 I'd like to pikc up a handgun for range usage. At school there is an indoor range and the outdoor range I shot at with my buddy is only like $30 a year for students. And I guess it could be used for home defense but as of now I'm living in like one of the safest college towns in the country.

I think I'd choose 9mm since I have small hands, inexperienced shooter, and it'd be for range shooting where I could get a lot of practice without paying out the ass for ammo.

HBalzer

Golden Member
Jul 17, 2005
Thanks for all the great info.

Don't feel like quoting all the questions so I'll just try to hit on some I remember.

*Already own a nice shotgun that I keep in the bedroom closet. Doesn't really suit my needs. The primary reason I want a handgun is that I want to enjoy the sport of firing at a range when I have some free time. Can't really do that with a shotgun and I've long outgrown my bird and small animal hunting days. And in the rare event of someone breaking into my home, I just feel my shotgun is too cumbersome. Not to mention, I don't want it resting against my bed so I keep it in the closet, making it a little inconvenient if I need it in a hurry.

If you want a gun for the range get a nice target .22cal they help build confidence for a first timer at the range.

For home defense shotgun is best, but the revolvers are nice easy to clean, maintain, and fun to shoot with an option for 38 or 357.

Nyati13

Jan 2, 2003
Originally posted by: pulsedrive
Just in case someone hasn't said this already, for home protection, get a 12 gague pump action shot gun. Handguns are not for home protection. Unless you live at least 2 miles from the nearest house, you can very easily end up shooting a neighbor because the bullets don't stop when they hit your wall.

Unless you use lighter weight, but higher velocity, hollowpoints. But with any firearm, you must be careful of what is behind what you are shooting, even if you do choose less penetrating ammo.

Nyati13

Jan 2, 2003
Originally posted by: VanTheMan

My uncle has a wall full of rifles and many pistols. I asked him what he would use in the event of a break in. He said he would use his compound bow because of how utterly shocking it would be for a run of the mill thief to get to the top of your stairs and see someone holding a bead on them with a bow. He'd have to be thinking "What the hell kind of crazy, psycho, nutjob confronts a thief with a friggin bow?" The same shock factor can apply for a sword, but not a bat. I have an excellent quality rapier (slashing +5, DD piercing hehe) leaning against my wall, but I think I would opt for my .357 Magnum Blackhawk or .44 Magnum Redhawk over the sword any night.

How about a 6.5 foot axe (halberd)? :p I've got one of those leaning in the corner at my house.

In addition to the Glock 29 in my bedside table.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: duragezic
I'm sort of interested in the same thing as the OP. I thought you could get a decent 9mm semi-auto for $350 but I guess that's a bit low. I suppose with a $500 limit (fee for the gun dealer, taxes, everything) you could get something decent?

I've read on here that you can get SKSs for like $200?? But a little hangun is about double the price?

I've fired a few of my friends guns one day at a range. He had a .22 handgun (very easy to fire!), two 9mm (either S&W or Glocks I think) one was rifled barrel, one not, and best of all his AR-15 with laser scope and other mods. Now that I'm 21 I'd like to pikc up a handgun for range usage. At school there is an indoor range and the outdoor range I shot at with my buddy is only like $30 a year for students. And I guess it could be used for home defense but as of now I'm living in like one of the safest college towns in the country.

I think I'd choose 9mm since I have small hands, inexperienced shooter, and it'd be for range shooting where I could get a lot of practice without paying out the ass for ammo.

You can get something decent with $350 if you are willing to go used or aren't stuck on a huge brand (HK, SIG, etc..). Just takes some looking around.

You can get Yugo M59/66 SKSs all day long for $120 (if you have a C&R license) to $140ish (starting table prices). They have a ton of these to unload, thus the low price. The quality of these guns is actually most excellent, blows away every Chinese SKS I've ever seen at 1/2 to 1/3 the price. Machine work is high quality and the ones I have look like they were fired once after coming off the line and put in storage.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
You would be best served by two different guns, if you are really serious about both aspects.
A .22 with a decent barrel length and competition trigger for the range, to hone your skills and enjoy the sport.
A compact, short barreled (automatic or revolver, I don't care) for the home defense gun.
The good habits and skill you develop with the .22 will translate to the larger pistol.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: skyking
You would be best served by two different guns, if you are really serious about both aspects.
A .22 with a decent barrel length and competition trigger for the range, to hone your skills and enjoy the sport.
A compact, short barreled (automatic or revolver, I don't care) for the home defense gun.
The good habits and skill you develop with the .22 will translate to the larger pistol.

You should be practicing vigorously with whatever weapon you're using for home defense. Not practicing on some rifle and hoping it translates to a handgun.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ

You should be practicing vigorously with whatever weapon you're using for home defense. Not practicing on some rifle and hoping it translates to a handgun.

Bad anology. Rifle, handgun? That's like kayak, tugboat.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

Saw the .22 and thought you were talking about a .22LR Rifle.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001

Saw the .22 and thought you were talking about a .22LR Rifle.
No Problem:)
I agree a few hundred rounds should go through the defense gun, but the really fun gun is the .22
I remember shooting bricks of the stuff, and tryig to make smiley faces and spell words in the paper.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Unheard
I know I'm going to get crucified by some people for saying this, but for the $300-350 price range look @ the S&W Sigma series. I have a Sigma .40, and with over 1500 rounds through it, I have only had 1 FTE (and I'm pretty sure it's because I limp wristed it). From what I can tell, most the people trash talking the Sigma's have either never shot one and are going be hear-say, or have one of the 1st gen guns. The only thing I don't like about my Sigma is the trigger pull, but with some gunsmithing, you can get that reduced. I payed $350 for mine, brand new.
Thats exactly what I had.

Its a genuine combat pistol and very simple. Just enough moving parts to fire a bullet. No more.
I put about 1000 rounds through it with no misfires of any kind. Its the kind of gun I show off to all the fellows who think only revolvers are reliable enough for personal protection. The first generation models were not great, but thats to be expected with any new gun. Why do you think the colt 45 is almost a hundred years old? People find something good and keep refining it.
I too disliked the trigger pull and DAO, but since the gun has no real safeties I figured I could deal with it. After practicing a while the trigger was not an issue.

(I got it for $280.)

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Originally posted by: Unheard
Thats exactly what I had.

Its a genuine combat pistol and very simple. Just enough moving parts to fire a bullet. No more.
I put about 1000 rounds through it with no misfires of any kind. Its the kind of gun I show off to all the fellows who think only revolvers are reliable enough for personal protection. The first generation models were not great, but thats to be expected with any new gun. Why do you think the colt 45 is almost a hundred years old? People find something good and keep refining it.
I too disliked the trigger pull and DAO, but since the gun has no real safeties I figured I could deal with it. After practicing a while the trigger was not an issue.

(I got it for $280.)

1,000 rounds is nothing. Get back to me after you've put 15,000 rounds though it. No automatic is 100% reliable. I've yet to shoot one that is and I've shot all kind of handguns. Hell, you can foul up a revolver if you don't take care of it.

FrequencyX

Oct 22, 2004
What do you guys think of 9MM Makarov's ? They are relatively cheap and have heard they are accurate. I'm looking at CZ and Makarov's at the moment.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: FrequencyX
What do you guys think of 9MM Makarov's ? They are relatively cheap and have heard they are accurate. I'm looking at CZ and Makarov's at the moment.

Excellent pistols. Theres guys that use them as CCW and daily carry firearms.

Only problem as I see it is its a tad underpowered. A bit more then a .380, not quite a 9mm. But that brings up the age old argument of caliber, which brings up the age old response of shot placement.

Point is, Mak's are good guns. I personally like the CZ_52 but I will be getting a Mak soon. Probably after I get a Sig.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Well I definitely need to do some more research. And run it by my parents... heh I'm sure they'll be joyed to hear I want a piece.

I would probably go used on a XD-9 or a Glock (wanna shoot some of these first though after hearing they may be a little akward to hold and shoot) or else get a cheaper but brand-new one. Something like a Sig would be awesome but as a first gun I should go cheaper and used then decide on more expensive guns if I get into it.

Where should I go to look for guns? I'm only aware of one range here and AFAIK they have no racks of guns to rent. There is only a few sporting good type places here. I'm guessing they are pretty pricey there. Deer and other animal hunting is huge around here but otherwise its a crappy, small town. So I'm wondering if I should go online. Where's a good site? They would ship it to a dealer/shop in my town then I'd go there and pay a small fee and get the permit?

Of course, it'd be best to get with my buddy who I went shooting all his guns with. Appearantly his dad is a dealer or something since he got his guns through him. He could tell me all kinds of pros and cons of different ones as well as getting a decent deal, on top of being able to try out his stuff more. But he may've quit school for good and won't be returning in the fall. :(

FrequencyX

Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Originally posted by: FrequencyX

Excellent pistols. Theres guys that use them as CCW and daily carry firearms.

Only problem as I see it is its a tad underpowered. A bit more then a .380, not quite a 9mm. But that brings up the age old argument of caliber, which brings up the age old response of shot placement.

Point is, Mak's are good guns. I personally like the CZ_52 but I will be getting a Mak soon. Probably after I get a Sig.

How comfortable are the CZ-52's compared to CZ-82 or even a Makarov? I tend to lean more on having a comfortable gun to handle and not too awkward to conceal or shoot. They have a Makarov here at a local gun shop for 175.00 and CZ's for about the same price. Do you think the price is right?