Halo Infinite

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Free to play multiplayer is live now (shows as beta). Steam, Xbox, Windows Store.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Even Halo can't escape the millions of micro transactions and battle passes. So disgusting to see the game littered with it.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
It looks like it may be possible to play bot only matches with this game. Can anyone confirm this is true? If so what game modes can be played with bots only?

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
For anyone having performance (FPS) issues:

Ensure FOV is 120
Disable any lower/upper fps thresholds
Update Nvidia driver

I was averaging ~70FPS on my 3080/5800x rig last night. Made these adjustments and I'm at ~130FPS maxed out. Imagine further optimization will be needed from 343.

jarablue

May 3, 2004
I have a 3070 laptop with a external 32 inch gsync monitor. My rig is fully updated and I get really good results at 1440p/ultra settings. I have 0 issues and am doing nothing but enjoying the game having a blast. Good luck it's worth it.

0 issues for me!

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Playing this on console but it is a really fun game and this is just a limited release. And it looks gorgeous.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Have played about 7 hours on PC (i5-10400/2060). Play on low @1440 and get ~70fps, haven't fiddled with settings much. Still looks good at low IMO. 2 crash to desktop, otherwise no issues. Gameplay is great. Netcode seems solid (I am no expert). 3 big issues:
1. Few maps (only 10)
2. Not able to choose gametype outside of 4v4 or 12v12
3. progression is super slow (they are making changes this week), only matters if you care about cosmetics

Haven't tried ranked, I am terrible so probably won't.

F2P so microtransactions, but I am pretty meh about that, there aren't any ridiculous priced skins yet. Most are ~$10-$20 which seems like the rate for most games. Battlepass is "standard" $10. BTW: if you have gamepass and install through Xbox/windows store you get 10% off all MT, not sure if that works with steam installs.

Reactions: Elfear

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Have played about 7 hours on PC (i5-10400/2060). Play on low @1440 and get ~70fps, haven't fiddled with settings much. Still looks good at low IMO. 2 crash to desktop, otherwise no issues. Gameplay is great. Netcode seems solid (I am no expert). 3 big issues:
1. Few maps (only 10)
2. Not able to choose gametype outside of 4v4 or 12v12
3. progression is super slow (they are making changes this week), only matters if you care about cosmetics

Haven't tried ranked, I am terrible so probably won't.

F2P so microtransactions, but I am pretty meh about that, there aren't any ridiculous priced skins yet. Most are ~$10-$20 which seems like the rate for most games. Battlepass is "standard" $10. BTW: if you have gamepass and install through Xbox/windows store you get 10% off all MT, not sure if that works with steam installs.

I think the cosmetics are overpriced and the BP progression is still too slow.

They do need to have more game types and maps. Forge comes out next year for user created maps but we could use some more official ones. There was a data miner leak that suggested Halo Infinite MP would have just over 20 maps, but 10 is a letdown. Game is fun though, just need more variety to not get stale sooner than later. The campaign will be fun as soon as co-op is added.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm surprised by the campaign they chose to make it an open world rather than mission by mission like I've seen before. I sure hope the formula doesn't get repetitive. One preview review I watched said it felt a bit similar to Far cry which obviously for some people, that flow can get tiring.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Kinda bored of the big maps already, the rotation is annoying because you can't choose playlists. I know they say they are coming, but they didn't even plan for them.

The slow turn speed is also kind of annoying.

Looking forward to coop campaign when that comes out in May or June.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Saw another review for the campaign again. I normally pick ACG's reviews over SkillUp's reviews because ACG comes off more subjective.

Skillup mentioned he recommends it but a lot of the video he talks about the map design being bland and basically says once you land on it you've seen it all. He also says there are only 14 missions and they all take place in fairly similar areas. I dunno, after watching his video I had a hard time pondering why he recommends it.

Seems the campaign might come off as repetitive and boring if it all takes place in the same type of areas or structures. I still think I'll get it to judge that for myself in the end.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Saw another review for the campaign again. I normally pick ACG's reviews over SkillUp's reviews because ACG comes off more subjective.

Skillup mentioned he recommends it but a lot of the video he talks about the map design being bland and basically says once you land on it you've seen it all. He also says there are only 14 missions and they all take place in fairly similar areas. I dunno, after watching his video I had a hard time pondering why he recommends it.

Seems the campaign might come off as repetitive and boring if it all takes place in the same type of areas or structures. I still think I'll get it to judge that for myself in the end.
Yeah, people were really surprised with the big team battle maps in the multiplayer, they are all in one environment that all looks very similar. People were expecting more variety like some previous games.

The tool to make maps won't come out until later half of next year so it's going to be a long time

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Played first 2 missions. Would have played more but no preload, dumb decision...

Saying it is all one locale is a bit of an oversimplification. Yes, the overworld is the single biome we have seen in the reveal trailer. But the first 2 missions take place inside a Banished ship and then inside a forerunner structure. Level design is fine so far, nothing amazing. Story is pretty good, some confusing things (hopefully will explain as I go), I am wondering if I need to go back and review some stuff as I never finished Halo 4, 5 or Halo Wars 2 (main bad guy if from Halo Wars 2).

The grapple is a great addition to the toolbox. Gameplay is superb, very classic Halo experience. Not sure if they increased all the enemy chatter, but seems like a LOT compared to previous Halos, but I might jut be misremembering (Grunts are hilarious as usual). Music is a bit more lowkey compared to previous Halos, but seems like it picks up later from some reviews I have seen. Haven't started the openworld portion yet.

Playing on Series X (quality mode) since it is better than my PC. I am playing multiplayer on PC as it feels more natural for me to play MP with mouse/keyboard.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I've heard the PC version has performance issues. I think I would want to buy it on steam.

But I just got an email from YouTube saying since I'm a YouTube premium member I can get gamepass for pc for 3 months for free.

I wonder if I start Halo infinite on gamepass, will the progress carry over to the steam version once the gamepass subscription ends?

I prefer to activate my gamepass ultimate cards for the series x randomly during the year when I see something I want to play and complete by the time they end.

I'll buy the game on steam once the subscription is over because I don't prefer to use the Microsoft store on PC.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I've heard the PC version has performance issues. I think I would want to buy it on steam.

But I just got an email from YouTube saying since I'm a YouTube premium member I can get gamepass for pc for 3 months for free.

I wonder if I start Halo infinite on gamepass, will the progress carry over to the steam version once the gamepass subscription ends?

No, though there is cross save for Master Chief Collection, so it is possible that if will be added later.

Digital Foundry did a good analysis of PC, there are issues. Seems like it is better on AMD cards.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
No, though there is cross save for Master Chief Collection, so it is possible that if will be added later.

Digital Foundry did a good analysis of PC, there are issues. Seems like it is better on AMD cards.
Sounds like I would be better off paying it on the series x. I'll take a look at that digital foundry analysis and I'll want to know if it also supports ultrawide.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I have played a bit more of the open world area now. I cannot say it necessarily improves the experience. In a way it brings some realism to the traditional Halo mission style where you need to go to the mission instead of just starting there. I think the game would be fine if you could just select the mission and start there. It does contribute to the openness of the missions though. Assaulting a base actually feels like assaulting a base as you have the entire area you walk around to plot your approach or snipe some key enemies rather than having to walk a predefined path.

Just exploring the whole area is pretty cool. You can go so many places thanks to the grapple.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Figured while I wait for the PC version to get some patches, I decided to play the master chief collection on PC.

I don't remember finishing the first Halo game so I'm going through that one now. I heard 2 and 3 are much better on PC too. Always wanted to play the series but never got to do it because I let someone borrow the MC collection disk for Xbox one and never got it back.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Hardware Unboxed tested about some oddities in Nvidia/AMD benchmarks for Halo Infinite regarding the vast differences between sites benchmark results.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I have played a bit more of the open world area now. I cannot say it necessarily improves the experience. In a way it brings some realism to the traditional Halo mission style where you need to go to the mission instead of just starting there. I think the game would be fine if you could just select the mission and start there. It does contribute to the openness of the missions though. Assaulting a base actually feels like assaulting a base as you have the entire area you walk around to plot your approach or snipe some key enemies rather than having to walk a predefined path.

Just exploring the whole area is pretty cool. You can go so many places thanks to the grapple.
For me the open world does improve the experience.
I am living the meme/dream. They give you a tank early on, and I drive it everywhere. Tank beats ghost! Tank beats hunter! Tank beats everything! :D I only get out when I have to. Weird though, that only one NPC mounts up with you now. Instead of 4 NPCs like in Halo 3

Really impressed so far, with this entry to the franchise. The music gives me warm feels too.

Reactions: Elfear

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Playing on normal, and some of these mini bosses are challenging going lone wolf. And I am digging the open world. Using the FOBs to equip a fire team, then loading everyone up ,and going around shooting up anything you run into is a good time. Forget the tank, 5 marines with rocket launchers and snipers is serious firepower.