Hall of Shame inductee: Electronics Boutique, Gulfview Square Mall

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
I'd be pissed too. EB is being stupid PR wise. Making a customer happy and getting a good image is worth than $83. Advertising is a lot more expensive than that...

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If something is stolen, the police take it. A company doesn't (or shouldn't) voluntarily give it. When the police come to claim it, you know they've done their homework and it is in fact stolen. If they don't come, you don't know if the other person is lying, etc.

Not saying this is the case here, but that in general it's why you don't just give stuff to people who claim it's stolen. The law only requires you surrender it to law enforcement, and with good reason.

kermalou

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2001
the girl should have had the police confiscate the goods and then get them back....the PS2 I don't know about..

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I've heard you're an accessory to the crime even if you bought the stolen goods unknowingly. Isn't this true? I've been hearing it for a while. If so wouldn't EB be liable as well?

CaseTragedy

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2000
I've already stopped shopping at EB because of personal experiences--this just makes me hate them more!

Vortex22

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2000
Originally posted by: SaturnX
Ok, wth, I love how this article makes a big deal out of the fact that EB sells back used good at usually about times the price they buy it for. That's freakin' business how else would they make profit on used game/hardware. But this article seems to make it out that it's an outrage, meanwhile it's been like this for years.

Either way, EB isn't responsible for compensating the woman, it's the theif entirely.

--Mark

Umm.. they're making a big deal about it because the stuff was STOLEN from her. It is rediculous that she has to buy back STOLEN STUFF for more than EB paid for it. I don't know WTF is going over there, but the thief should have to pay for the stolen stuff, including the PS2 that was already sold... that just seems like common sense.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
This whole thing would have been a non-issue if EB had followed the law and not put it up for sale during the 15 day grace period.

They brought this on themselves.

And their P.R. department is pretty pathetic.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Wow! I knew EB was immoral but I had no idea they would stoop this low!
If they don't want to get burned on deals like this then perhaps they should look into forming an alliance with local law enforcement as pawn shops do to prevent stolen merchandise from being sold in the first place.
$87 isn't worth anywhere near what the PR from this story will do to their image. I, for one, won't be buying anything from EB any time soon, and I have bought easily over a thousand dollars worth of hardware, software, and accessories from them over the course of the last several years.
How bout that EB Corporate? Is $87 worth more than $1000 to you?

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Ok what the hell? That is just fvcked up :| :| She can have her stolen merchandise back for the price they gave to the thief? Whatever happened to posession of title for goods?

dethman

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
i haven't shopped at EB for years, and will continue to not shop there.

rip off prices, and now this.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: flexy
i dont think its cool what EB did - but....responsible for her losses is the THIEF and not EB !

Still...dont think its right and legal that EB can sell PROVEN stolen stuff ??? Arent they bound to give it out by law ?

did you read the article??

it CLEARLY stated that by LAW EB was supposed to wait FIFTEEN Days before selling the merchandise, they DIDN'T HENCE THEY broke the law to.

they will get reamed for this one way or another. karma you know.

darkeneddays

Jan 10, 2002
Here in SC, you also have to wait 15 days before you resell used/trade-in goods. Pawn Shops are strict about this. I was told by a pawn shop owner once that he recieves a list from the local P.D. every week that shows what goods have been reported stolen. According to him, if he doesn't report something that matches he can get in trouble.

Obviously in this case, it's hard to track "just" a PS2(except by serial). However, since the thief also sold the memory cards and games it would have been extremely easy to tag the theif if EB had followed the law by holding it 15 days. While it isn't directly EB's fault, I think they should eat the loss simply because they broke the law. Had EB held it for 15 days, then sold it, I could understand. In that case, the lady obviously would have waited too long to file the report, and it should be here responibility to make the theif recover the loss.

EB should cough it up. I assure you they will lose more than $87 in business because of the media attention. Tards...
rolleye.gif

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I don't know who to be mad at, the Law Enforcement for not returning the merchandise or the idiot kid who committed a felony because he needed to pay his rent. EB Games is actually the least to blame even though the obtained it illegally according to state law.

If EB didn't cross the law, then most of you would be right, there would be no big deal. But it turns out both the robber and EB had a hand in it. All retail stores should be aware of local state laws and consumer rights, if not, the General Manager of that area gets a nice kick in the ass. They should of had a ready policy at hand that tailored for the local law.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: guyver01
Isn't there some law against "posession of stolen property" ???

Yes, there is. The question remains why would the police refuse to sieze the property? At our EB, the proceedure for dealing with stolen property is very simple. When the police come to sieze whatever stolen property we came into posession of, we surrender it without argument. We do not, however, surrender it to anyone else. That way, we are protected against fraudsters.

Can you really blame these people? A person wandered into their store and said they have to give her a PS2 and games because hers was stolen and she thinks it was traded in there. Just a normal person, not the sherrif, not a police officer, not a D.A. just a normal person off the street.

Yeah, I wouldn't believe her either.

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
On a completely unrelated note, Michelle shed 50 pounds from emotional distress and saved tons of money on dietary supplements :)

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
damn, that's some fvcked up sh*t...I can only imagine how frustrated she must feel. Hopefully she gets a good settlement out of this, or SOMETHING. not cool.