Half-Life 3 thread.....again!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Hmmm...if those source engine 2 pics are legit, I gotta say from the picture alone I don't see anything revolutionary about it. Looks like an engine with decent graphics capabilities that have a semi realistic look to it. Regardless, this opinion is based on a picture that still isn't a confirmed picture so don't hold my opinion to dearly.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Nice to see such blind faith in vaporware still exists. o_O
What blind faith are you talking about? As mentioned for the most part you can't even call it true Vaporware because A.) Valve is a very successful company and HL has been it's most successful software, so it's unlikely to be never seen again. B.) It's not been announced and Gabe has done everything but say that there isn't a single person at valve working on anything HL franchise related. On the reverse end of B, it is easy to see that it may and probably is an attempt to keep expectations for the game to grow while they are working on it. But it can't be vaporware if the company denies that it exists.

46andtool

Aug 16, 2013
I cant wait until halflife 3 comes out, so much so in fact that I try not to think about it too much because then the anticipation and impatience grows. But I have been replaying hl2 + the episodes and now Im waiting for black mesa to finish downloading so I can play that. I really hope Valve gives us something at least some definitive news soon.

I have faith that the game will be excellent and trust valves judgement, if the game doesnt live up to expectations it will be a first for that company.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I cant wait until halflife 3 comes out,

As excited as you are, first Gabe has to learn to count to three.

I can see his tutor:

Tutor - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Gabe - 1, 2, cheeseburger, fries, coke

Tutor - no Gabe, its 1, 2, 3

Gabe - 1, 2, pizza

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
To be fair they did announce that they were going to release HL2 Ep3. That's the real DNF here. The problem I have with Gabe down talking HL3 to keep it from becoming one of those vaporwares that eventually get released (DNF and Dakiata) and to lower hype and expectations, is that he completely glosses over the fact that he has announced an HL product and resolution to the cliff hanger of HL2EP2 and is something like 5 years late on delivering that.

We all know that Valve has been at least doing some HL development since HL2EP2 and while we don't know when or how and what size the team is, that HL2EP3 morphed into a full blown game. But it happened and trying to pretend that they have no desire or interest at this time to go back to the HL franchise is an insult to the fans, because they left us hanging telling us don't worry just wait 6 month to a year there will be a resolution. It would also be an insult to them as a story teller. Anyone who cared about their craft would be ashamed to end the story like that if they could avoid it. It's understandable if your Frank Herbert and die before your done. It's less understandable if your J.K. Rowling and you stopped at book 6 because you lost interest in the HP universe.

So while they have never announced HL3 and are pretending to not be developing it, they either A.) stuck in development/story hell (or waiting till Source 2 which may have been in development hell). B.) They are a horrible entertainment company that have no care for the actual products they have created. Valve likes to act like they aren't a bean counter company and I understand not wanting to dilute the brand. But they can't throw away a story mid sentence like that. I refuse to believe that. So as far as I am concern HL3 development start the second HL2EP2 went gold. Which puts it into at least Dakiata territory.

True and fair point. While we can only speculate on what happened with EP3, I wouldn't be surprised if it was more due to episodic gaming just working for them. EP2 took like 2-3 times longer to make then they projected and I bet with what they wanted to do with EP3, it just wasn't realistic. They could of put out EP3, but for all we know, they made changes to the story and the original idea for EP3's story was scrapped or they just didn't see it as worth doing an EP since it was taking much longer then anticipated (probably this one).

I think they are/were waiting to release HL3 once tech caught up for what they wanted to do, or they didn't know what they wanted to do. The first 2 HL games pretty much changed gaming (from presentation to other things) and I imagine they want the 3rd to continue. The other side of the coin is, they just had no idea what to do or it was put on the back burner as the company focused on other projects that required more immediate attention, because lets face it, HL will sell whenever it is released, but they had some other stuff they needed to get out in certain time frames.

46andtool

Aug 16, 2013
As excited as you are, first Gabe has to learn to count to three.

I can see his tutor:

Tutor - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Gabe - 1, 2, cheeseburger, fries, coke

Tutor - no Gabe, its 1, 2, 3

Gabe - 1, 2, pizza

lol, I wonder who the writers are for this series, from what i remember halflife was gabes brain-child so is he still making most of the decisions for the series or what?

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
What blind faith are you talking about? As mentioned for the most part you can't even call it true Vaporware because A.) Valve is a very successful company and HL has been it's most successful software, so it's unlikely to be never seen again. B.) It's not been announced and Gabe has done everything but say that there isn't a single person at valve working on anything HL franchise related. On the reverse end of B, it is easy to see that it may and probably is an attempt to keep expectations for the game to grow while they are working on it. But it can't be vaporware if the company denies that it exists.

A company's past success doesn't exlude them from creating vaporware. All great vaporware projects were done by people with a track record for getting projects done. Even crapatana.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I think they are/were waiting to release HL3 once tech caught up for what they wanted to do, or they didn't know what they wanted to do. The first 2 HL games pretty much changed gaming (from presentation to other things) and I imagine they want the 3rd to continue. The other side of the coin is, they just had no idea what to do or it was put on the back burner as the company focused on other projects that required more immediate attention, because lets face it, HL will sell whenever it is released, but they had some other stuff they needed to get out in certain time frames.

I half-wonder if its because they have painted themselves into a corner with the storyline and have no idea at this point how to tie it all up and have it make sense.

I don't even feel all that bothered about actually playing it, but I do have some mild desire to know how the story ends and to have some of the puzzling parts of the plot resolved.

I'd be content if they did it using the Build Engine, just as long as they finished the damn story!

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I half-wonder if its because they have painted themselves into a corner with the storyline and have no idea at this point how to tie it all up and have it make sense.

In a way I think there could be some truth to that. I remember at the end of Ep2 thinking
the Borealis thing sounds 'too big' for just another episode but at the same time I don't feel like it would 'end' the story either which I thought might make it not fit as being part of HL3.

Plus when you toss in tertiary stuff like Mossman's intrigue, the GMan, Gordon's/Breen's/Eli's/Vortigaunts individual relationships with the GMan, the GMan's employers, there's really a lot of plotlines to resolve still.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
A company's past success doesn't exlude them from creating vaporware. All great vaporware projects were done by people with a track record for getting projects done. Even crapatana.
Maybe I should have put the second point first. It's not an announced product so it can't be vaporware. The other point was just that as Giant company that is to big to fail, it's not like we have the fear that Valve could be closed down next year and will only get HL3 if gearbox buys the rights.