Had/have carpal tunnel syndrome? Had surgery, it's working out.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 10, 2005
Since amyloidosis is the build-up of a protein, going on a low protein diet may be the only cure. The lower protein intake would trigger autophagy in the body and the body's phages will seek out any undesirable, unwanted tissue to digest and then re-purpose the resulting amino acids for building structures actually needed by the body. It's not easy but this is why properly supplemented vegetarians generally have healthier and longer lifespans because plant food is low in protein.
I doubt that is an effective treatment. Amyloid plaques clear exceedingly slowly because it is hard for the body to remove them.

This is seen over and over again in people on disease modifying therapies. The amyloid plaques will reduce with time, but very slowly. However, you'll often seen symptoms stabilize or reduce with time.

Anyway, this is all a very theoretical discussion as long as there is no official diagnosis. It's generally not worth going down a huge rabbit hole of information without knowing what you might be looking for. So in short: get the consult/evaluation and go from there.

Reactions: skyking and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So go back and read my post that you quoted. I know you are capable of observation.
Here, I'll bring it forward for you.
"
I had both carps tunneled last year. Would recommend.
Getting some numbness creeping back into mouse pinky.
I will try the dueling mouse trick."

So let's break it down. I am observing some numbness and someone else suggested switching mouse hands to "give it a rest".
I thought that was a good idea and will try it.
You chose to assume I was blaming it on the surgery not working. See what happened there? You offered no solution beyond that giving it a rest, and bloviated all about some other shit. That you read up on all that anatomy and physiology is not an excuse to practice internet medicine.

back in that post, I can leave it at this. I have heard all sorts of stories from older patients, patients with much worse symptoms, surgeries with older more invasive methods complain about outcomes.
My post and intent were purely anecdotal. Here is the gist of it.
"I had both carps tunneled last year. Would recommend."

That's it.
I'd continue to offer that most of these surgeries are no longer the crapshoot they once were, with the exception of back surgeries. I've had one of the earlier arthroscoipic menisectomies in 1980, that went well.
The two shoulder surgeries in 2019 went well too.
My surgeries have all gone well enough (foot, shoulder, hands). I wasn't suggesting that yours didn't. I wasn't saying your CTR's weren't successful, I was just pointing out that a tingling pinky isn't median nerve involved. The hand is quite complicated. I don't pretend to know much about it, but have heard many times about what fingers are affected by carpal tunnel syndrome, and they always say the pinky is not. What you're doing for it sounds sensible enough.

May 11, 2008
@Muse :
I posted this in another thread , perhaps it can help you as well :

Text from link :
"
I should also note, that in my diet not only do i use sodiumchloride salt , i also use potassiumchloride salt. Both in a good balance and in a healthy moderate amount. I can do this without getting cardiac issues because of my healthy lifestyle.
And it is actually known that when people consume a moderate amount of both sodiumchloride salt and potassiumchloride salt, there is a reduced risk at cardiac diseases.
Making the human heart actually more resilient against infectious diseases !

Also, the signal propagation of neurons and nerves functions a lot better when consuming both sodiumchloride salt and potassiumchloride salt !
Both in a good balance and in a healthy moderate amount..
Perhaps signal levels are even boosted !

It is known that the heart often gets infected by viruses and bacteria.
Like for example the heartvalves but also the muscle lining tissue.
An unhealthy lifestyle increases the burden on the heart tissues.

I noticed that when contracting SARS-CoV2 during end 2019, my heart started beating in a weird way , i had heart palpitations.
During the autumn/winter 2023 , again i experienced heart palpitations.
A heart monitorrecording in 2019 and again in 2023 clearly showed these issues.
Since April 2024 the heart palpitations are gone.

Beware, people with an unhealthy lifestyle or health issues should not just take potassiumchloride salts without seeing a phycisian first. Because then the sodium unbalance worsens and people can get cardiac issues like heart attacks or other bloodvessel related issues.
So ask a physician and dietician first.
"

Last edited:
May 11, 2008
With respect to post 4 in this thread. Something very logical is forgotten or deliberatly explained as nonsense : This something very logical is called homeostasis.
The body has al these negative feedback loops. Chemically controlled and controlled by neurons.
The problem is that when people take huge amount of sodiumchloride salts, homeostasis is disturbed. The body adapts but the person as a whole is not healthy.
So to be able to restore the homeostasis one must first undo the the damage.
And that is where the physician and dietician supposed to be for.
Epigenetics may also play a role here. And that is very likely. That perhaps other DNA sequences are run to be able to cope with the "poisoned" environment which is the body.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Fasting mimicking diets are somewhat able to get the body back to relatively stable blood and other important markers. The last 4 day water fast I did, which as harsh as it was, paid off in terms of much, much improved intestinal health.

May 11, 2008
Fasting mimicking diets are somewhat able to get the body back to relatively stable blood and other important markers. The last 4 day water fast I did, which as harsh as it was, paid off in terms of much, much improved intestinal health.
That sounds crazy. And sounds dangerous for people with health issues. You are not that medical medium dude , i hope ?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
This might sound dumbassery but I am pretty sure I've avoided most of the stuff my like-aged friends and hangarounds are dealing with by having a life long passion for lifting iron. I am pretty sure the documentation is out there that a little regular resistance training goes a long way.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I am looking into a 3 day water fast... But sort of "holy crap this is gonna hurt" about it...

Jul 27, 2020
That sounds crazy. And sounds dangerous for people with health issues.
As long as no one does anything crazy like embarking on a 4 day water fast without ever doing a water fast for a single day in their life, there should be no issue.

It is advisable to do take these things gradually. Start by doing 12 to 16 hours water fast. Success? Eat normally for a day or two or maybe a week. Then keep increasing the number of hours without food and your body will adapt. It's only dangerous when done in a moronic way and with serious conditions like liver or kidney disease. An obese person with normally functioning organs should be fine as long as he commits to the gradual water fasting routine.

I myself started first with 18 to 20 hours. Went up to 36 hours and when I saw nothing really bad happened, I got interested in finding out what people were talking about the mental clarity on the 3rd day of fasting. Well, finished 3 days and dang it, the mental focus was amazing! But doing it for 4 days is pushing it because you keep getting blackouts or head throbbing pain. When the Prolon diet became available to order in UAE, I tried that and was able to complete it successfully with none of the side effects of water fasting. I actually did back to back 10 day Prolon fasts and it was nothing hard. I would try for longer fasts but the Prolon kit is too expensive for that :(

Jul 27, 2020
I am looking into a 3 day water fast... But sort of "holy crap this is gonna hurt" about it...
Yeah, don't do that without first enduring water fast for 16, 24, 36 and 48 hours.

I mean, OK, you can do it imagining you are trapped in a desert or under a rubble after an earthquake and then try to survive just on water that is somehow available. It's not going to be pleasant and as long as you don't freak out when the blackouts happen and stay strong through them, you should be able to do it. But again, do it only if you are used to doing extreme stuff. The blackouts can be scary. Your head throbs like hell and you feel like your brain is unable to get oxygen or something. It's actually just the brain cells switching to ketones for their energy requirements.

By the way, it can take up to 48 hours for all the glycogen in your muscles to get used up so it's only after 48 hours that you can be sure that your body is running on "fatty" ketone fuel and that's when you will feel the "difference".

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
This might sound dumbassery but I am pretty sure I've avoided most of the stuff my like-aged friends and hangarounds are dealing with by having a life long passion for lifting iron. I am pretty sure the documentation is out there that a little regular resistance training goes a long way.
Speaking for myself, well, I took up regular lifting iron at 42. My biggest problem is arthritic hands. Now, I'm told (seen it more than once, I figure) that a lot of people with severe arthritis of the hands experience no pain, so I guess, no symptoms. In my case, there's pain and not insignificant. I still do stuff. My hand surgeon (he's yet to operate on me!) said "if it hurts, don't do it." Sound advice, but I can't avoid some pain. I'm gonna spend 1 1/2 hours in the gym today. I mostly avoid pain there.

I don't know what's caused me to have CTS, maybe mostly a lot of physical usage of my hands over the years, maybe there's genetic factors.

But yes, I attribute my much better than "average" health mostly to my insistence on being fit and able. Yesterday I did a 1000 foot climb hike. My knee was hurting but it stopped hurting after about 25% of the hike. Why? Don't know. More than anything I was careful descending. Why did knee hurt? Good chance it was the accident I had over 2 years ago when the wheels came off my skate. I think I need an MRI.

Reactions: cytg111
May 11, 2008
The body is build to move, but preferably when there is enough energy. Boxing workout is a great way to keep the core muscles in shape.