guru3DAMD Announces DirectX 12 Game Engine Developer Partnerships

Status
Not open for further replies.

csbin

Feb 4, 2013
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-announces-directx-12-game-engine-developer-partnerships.html

Optimized for AMD Radeon Graphics
  • Ashes of the Singularity by Stardock and Oxide Games
  • Total War: WARHAMMER by Creative Assembly
  • Battlezone VR by Rebellion
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided by Eidos-Montréal
  • Nitrous Engine by Oxide Games
Total War: WARHAMMER
A fantasy strategy game of legendary proportions, Total War: WARHAMMER combines an addictive turn-based campaign of epic empire-building with explosive, colossal, real-time battles, all set in the vivid and incredible world of Warhammer Fantasy Battles.
Sprawling battles with high unit counts are a perfect use case for the uniquely powerful GPU multi-threading capabilities offered by Radeon graphics and DirectX 12. Additional support for DirectX 12 asynchronous compute will also encourage lightning-fast AI decision making and low-latency panning of the battle map.

Battlezone VR
Designed for the next wave of virtual reality devices, Battlezone VR gives you unrivalled battlefield awareness, a monumental sense of scale and breathless combat intensity. Your instincts and senses respond to every threat on the battlefield as enemy swarms loom over you and super-heated projectiles whistle past your ears.
Rolling into battle, AMD and Rebellion are collaborating to ensure Radeon GPU owners will be particularly advantaged by low-latency DirectX 12 rendering that's crucial to a deeply gratifying VR experience.

Ashes of the Singularity
AMD is once again collaborating with Stardock in association with Oxide to bring gamers Ashes of the Singularity. This real-time strategy game set in the far future, redefines the possibilities of RTS with the unbelievable scale provided by Oxide Games' groundbreaking Nitrous engine. The fruits of this collaboration has resulted in Ashes of the Singularity being the first game to release with DirectX 12 benchmarking capabilities.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, the sequel to the critically acclaimed Deus Ex: Human Revolution, builds on the franchise's trademark choice and consequence, action-RPG based gameplay, to create both a memorable and highly immersive experience. AMD and Eidos-Montréal have engaged in a long term technical collaboration to build and optimize DirectX 12 in their engine including special support for GPUOpen features like PureHhair based on TressFX Hair and Radeon exclusive features like asynchronous compute.

Nitrous Engine
Radeon graphics customers the world over have benefitted from unmatched DirectX 12 performance and rendering technologies delivered in Ashes of the Singularity via the natively DirectX 12 Nitrous Engine. Most recently, Benchmark 2.0 was released with comprehensive support for DirectX 12 asynchronous compute to unquestionably dominant performance from Radeon graphics.

With massive interplanetary warfare at our backs, Stardock, Oxide and AMD announced that the Nitrous Engine will continue to serve a roster of franchises in the years ahead. Starting with Star Control and a second unannounced space strategy title, Stardock, Oxide and AMD will continue to explore the outer limits of what can be done with highly-programmable GPUs.

Closing thread due to discussion derail. This shouldn't have been a discussion regarding member CSBIN, this should have been an on topic discussion and concerns should be directed to the moderator discussion forum instead of calling the OP out.

-Rvenger

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 19, 2009
Out of those, most looking forward to Warhammer, a fantasy Total War is just what the RTS fan in me needs.

Hopefully they don't screw it up, especially Deus Ex from Square Enix, going episodic like Hitman would be pure fail.

Mahigan

Aug 22, 2015
Expect to hear an announcement between Ubisoft and AMD soon enough as well.

Mahigan

Aug 22, 2015
Yes and this will extend into 3D game engines as well. Game Studios are seeing the $$$ signs associated with an expected growth in VR. Goldman Sachs is throwing a huge chunk of investment dollars into the VR market expecting enormous growth.

VR is like the new mobile/smartphone market.
baae5bc642f4e4bb0809b1c0df73485e.jpg

Crytek also announced a partnership with AMD. Frostbite (EA/Dice) as well.

Only Epic and Unity are left but I think that we might see them budge as well.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Out of those, most looking forward to Warhammer, a fantasy Total War is just what the RTS fan in me needs.

Hopefully they don't screw it up, especially Deus Ex from Square Enix, going episodic like Hitman would be pure fail.

Word on the internet is that it isn't episodic but has already been broken into parts.

Seems SE is really pushing for smaller-faster projects versus bigger-longer ones. FFXV had tons of its content cut, but that game has been in development purgatory as long as Duke Nukem!

I won't hold my breath on SE doing something stupid. They're batting a 100 with their titles/brands recently.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Anyone heard if Total Warhammer is getting DirectX 12/Vulkan? That series seriously needs to get its CPU overhead down.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Amazon Lumberyard better be getting Vulkan. That engine's the tits; fully open source, and backed by a god damn gargantuan company.

And once they patch in >8km x 8km terrains...Ooh baby.

Vaporizer

Apr 4, 2015
Anyone heard if Total Warhammer is getting DirectX 12/Vulkan? That series seriously needs to get its CPU overhead down.
On the AMD capsiacin Event it was mentioned that TW Warhammer comes with DX12 support. There is a video link on AMD Homepage where it is discussed. So it should have DX12 (for AMD at least ; ))

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
On the AMD capsiacin Event it was mentioned that TW Warhammer comes with DX12 support. There is a video link on AMD Homepage where it is discussed. So it should have DX12 (for AMD at least ; ))

Huzzah! My old Phenom II might cut the mustard after all.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008

Awesome. I'm really excited for this one. First fantasy total war, first total war with DX12... I can't wait to see how many units you can get on screen in a massive battle in this one. I am unabashedly a massive total war fanboy

Vaporizer

Apr 4, 2015
I preordered it last week. I really like the Warhammer Universe and look forward to burn some gobbos with my upcoming mighty dwarf army.

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
Afaik the problem wasn't the directx overhead, but the single threaded simulation of the battle.

Last edited:

Vaporizer

Apr 4, 2015
It really seems like AMD is spearheading the DX12 and VR revolution. I am really looking forward on the evolving of both.
Any news on NV doing anything on these topics? Is thier marketing Division already retired?

Pariah

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2000
This is a serious question. Is csbin employed by AMD? The vast majority of his posts seemed to be threads created about AMD announcements and then he never posts in the threads again. That's a rather peculiar posting pattern.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Afaik the problem was the directx overhead, but the single threaded simulation of the battle.

I'd expect a pretty respectable uplift from DX12 for Total War. The sheer volume of units on the screen = a lot of draw calls.

You'd hope they'd take the DX12 opportunity to better multithread the engine too

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
This is a serious question. Is csbin employed by AMD? The vast majority of his posts seemed to be threads created about AMD announcements and then he never posts in the threads again. That's a rather peculiar posting pattern.

Ding dong, we have a winner.
icon14.gif

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014

I don't know, I kind of consider him to be like subscribing to an AMD news feed.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Ding dong. You might want to have a look at your own posting pattern.

I post news about many different products (from Intel, NVIDIA, Samsung, Qualcomm, etc.). My posting pattern certainly doesn't include hit and run threads with little to no text (and rare replies) concerning a single company. And I don't do this on multiple forums either, only AnandTech.
icon14.gif

Feb 19, 2009
I'd expect a pretty respectable uplift from DX12 for Total War. The sheer volume of units on the screen = a lot of draw calls.

You'd hope they'd take the DX12 opportunity to better multithread the engine too

Some talk about it from the devs.

https://youtu.be/Vq3A2OiRfco?t=1m48s

There's talk of 10K unit battles. Fluid performance. In prior TW games, ~2.5K units and it would start to be CPU bottlenecked.

It's not on Ashes scale with 25K units on a single 980 (yes, Oxide optimizes for NVIDIA too).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoHxtrqdw6w

But Warhammer will definitely have more detailed units. There's some good gameplay vids of it.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Some talk about it from the devs.

https://youtu.be/Vq3A2OiRfco?t=1m48s

There's talk of 10K unit battles. Fluid performance. In prior TW games, ~2.5K units and it would start to be CPU bottlenecked.

If they don't use instancing, each mesh (a sword, a helmet, an arrow, etc.) will use a couple of draw calls each. Factor in decals, shadows from nearby units, lights, particles, armour reflections....

Yeah, those draw calls are gonna go sky high.

The mods for the game are going to be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.