Guinness Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout worth it?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
4pack (11oz bottles) $19:
Guinness Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout | Total Wine & More

Guinness Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout 4pk-11oz Btls

I love the taste of Guinness.
A 4pack of 15.9oz cans is $7.

If you've tried their Bourbon Barrel stout, how was it?
worth 3x the cost of regular Guinness?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I was at the brewery a couple days ago, and saw that. I love stouts, imperial or otherwise, but it's too hot for imperial stout. I haven't seen it locally, but if I saw it tomorrow, I'd buy a pack and squirrel it away til it's cool out.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I was at the brewery a couple days ago, and saw that. I love stouts, imperial or otherwise, but it's too hot for imperial stout. I haven't seen it locally, but if I saw it tomorrow, I'd buy a pack and squirrel it away til it's cool out.

Ever try one of these?

Reactions: Captante

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Chimay's pretty heavy. I've gotten a case of red for my boss the last couple years for jul. In the summer, I tend to stick with Yeungling, or for something a little better, something crisp and hoppy, My next purchase will be likely be Guinness Blonde. That's a good summer beer. I'm a little annoyed at the widespread 'hop the hell out of everything' beer trend, but summer's a good time for that.

Reactions: zinfamous

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Chimay's pretty heavy. I've gotten a case of red for my boss the last couple years for jul. In the summer, I tend to stick with Yeungling, or for something a little better, something crisp and hoppy, My next purchase will be likely be Guinness Blonde. That's a good summer beer. I'm a little annoyed at the widespread 'hop the hell out of everything' beer trend, but summer's a good time for that.
I took them to a bbq and it was well received. I don't drink so second hand info xd.

Reactions: lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It's definitely first class beer, but I tend to go lighter in warmer months. Might just be me. That's a hell of a bbq selection. If someone brought Sam Adams, I'd have considered that above expectations. Chimay's an order of magnitude above that.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It's definitely first class beer, but I tend to go lighter in warmer months. Might just be me. That's a hell of a bbq selection. If someone brought Sam Adams, I'd have considered that above expectations. Chimay's an order of magnitude above that.

Scandinavian host. Can probably drink doppelbock year round. I even went with a bottle opener just in case xd. It was well received.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
"bourbon barrel" beers are for people that like neither beer nor whiskey.

fuck that noise.
At the brewery, I got some kind of coffee stout, and some kind of vanilla cocoa stout. I really just wanted a regular old draught stout, but didn't want to waste the opportunity to try something different. The coffee stout was good. It isn't something I'd drink a lot of, but it would be a good dessert beer after dinner or something. I didn't care much for the vanilla cocoa. It was drinkable, and fine, but I wouldn't get it again. That's the second beer of that type I've gotten, and I didn't particularly like either. Vanilla and cocoa seems like a natural mate to stout, but I guess it isn't, or not for me anyway.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
At the brewery, I got some kind of coffee stout, and some kind of vanilla cocoa stout. I really just wanted a regular old draught stout, but didn't want to waste the opportunity to try something different. The coffee stout was good. It isn't something I'd drink a lot of, but it would be a good dessert beer after dinner or something. I didn't care much for the vanilla cocoa. It was drinkable, and fine, but I wouldn't get it again. That's the second beer of that type I've gotten, and I didn't particularly like either. Vanilla and cocoa seems like a natural mate to stout, but I guess it isn't, or not for me anyway.
Pretty much all the "new" flavoured beers don't really work. They taste OK for a few sips but get really cloying and heavy, particularly if it's something stupid and sweet added.
Its like someone missed the memo that chocolate stout shouldn't have actual chocolate in, it just comes from the malt.

Some Belgian fruit beers are good.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I may have to try this. I dislike beer, except for Guinness. Now that is a tasty treat.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
for science.

I've tried nearly every guinness .. well, every guinness i could find. Most were shit. A couple were decent. Tbh normal pub guinness is such a masterpiece, it's understandable that other beers won't compare.

Reactions: Muadib

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
4pack (11oz bottles) $19:
Guinness Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout | Total Wine & More

Guinness Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout 4pk-11oz Btls

I love the taste of Guinness.
A 4pack of 15.9oz cans is $7.

If you've tried their Bourbon Barrel stout, how was it?
worth 3x the cost of regular Guinness?
I bought a four pack last year, I don't think it was quite that spendy here. I find regular Guinness "okay" and haven't bought it in years, but this was actually pretty good, and I would buy it again.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Once in a while I like a KBS or even better a CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout is the bomb diggity!) Maple bourbon stout ohh my!
Its like $20 or something insane for a 4 pack, but, worth it once a year or so ...

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout is great too, even though they are owned by Bud.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Dogfish Head World Wide Stout is fantastic, but it carries the price tag to go along with it.
I didn't think the Goose Island was really worth the money, not as good as Dragon's Milk IMO. KBS is borderline worth the money.

Reactions: BurnItDwn

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
If Guinness is the only beer I like, what are other good stouts that can match it?

The Guinness in cans with those plastic balls or what not, that are supposed to make it a bit more draughty, are not bad. Obviously it's much better poured fresh, but the cans are good.

What else should I try? Have multiple liquor stores around here that have very good selections. I've tried a couple other stouts that just didn't feel as thick or dense as a Guinness, which I didn't like

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
If Guinness is the only beer I like, what are other good stouts that can match it?

The Guinness in cans with those plastic balls or what not, that are supposed to make it a bit more draughty, are not bad. Obviously it's much better poured fresh, but the cans are good.

What else should I try? Have multiple liquor stores around here that have very good selections. I've tried a couple other stouts that just didn't feel as thick or dense as a Guinness, which I didn't like
Deschutes - Obsidian Stout
Fremont - Dark Star (no idea if this is available outside the region)
Founders - Breakfast Stout
Left Hand - Galactic Cowboy Nitro