Guildwars 2 Beta Thread

Page 84 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Its something that most people never accomplish because they cant stay focused/devoted enough to grind out, get the help they need to accomplish the task. You know what? things like that make the game great. Every server would have a few people with these items, that would reach "legendary server status". Everyone would know their names ect, you d look up to the guilds that could do tasks like this.

One thing we can all agree on is that Guild Wars 2 isn't trying to appease hardcore MMO'ers. So you and others in the same situation were always going to be disappointed. Frankly it's difficult to imagine any modern, big budget game even trying to go after the hardcore crowd, so you might have to just pick one and live with the perceived issues you have with it. Who knows, maybe one will come along... it's definitely not Guild Wars 2 though.

I can tell you that all the negatives you listed are positives in my eyes. But I don't play MMO's, I do play GW2 though. :)

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
that's a lot of talking about how GW2 works, for some that have never played it.

;)

basically: if you don't want to like it, you probably won't....so why even bother wasting time and energy thinking about it?

One thing--"Holy trinity" absolutely makes you alone far more than the GW model. Why? because you can't fricking play your instance without the unpopular tank or healers showing up. You're locked--you're sitting around an outpost spamming for certain classes, dismissing those that "aren't geared," all the while never actually playing, despite what you think. Trinity is limiting. I don't dislike it, I like the strategy, but that's not the only way to play a game, the only way an MMO should be. it baffles me that people want new, only to demand the same thing over and over. It's madness.

GW2 is a bit fast-paced and crazy. Grouping isn't outright necessary, yeah--but that's the point. you join people organically, you stop and chat if you want. You actually HELP strangers unlike in any other MMO, period. You aren't competing for mobs, for nodes, for loot. More than anythign else--GW2 is about playing with people rather than play against them.

People that don't see this are simply too set in wanting that which they claim to be tired of, or just jaded individuals over all.

And also:
lol--"rolling through an area 10 levels above you?"

right..... :D

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
And also:
lol--"rolling through an area 10 levels above you?"

right..... :D

i'm having trouble with monsters 1 level above me sometimes.

I don't know what class to stick with. I've played warrior, ele, engineer, and necro and guardian to unlock all the skills with the different weapons.

They all have some cool abilities and not so cool abilities. I wish you could pick and choose.

Ele fire skills are insanely powerful but the other elements seem way weaker in comparison and don't really seem to gain anything useful utility wise.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010

I don't know what class to stick with. I've played warrior, ele, engineer, and necro and guardian to unlock all the skills with the different weapons.

They all have some cool abilities and not so cool abilities. I wish you could pick and choose.

Ele fire skills are insanely powerful but the other elements seem way weaker in comparison and don't really seem to gain anything useful utility wise.

Go Scepter/Dagger earth and get back to me :)

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
Dual dagger Ele's are pretty cool if you can stand the super limited range. Also might I ask why people post in this thread when there's already an official stickied thread at the top?

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
So what's everyone's thoughts on the least/most played classes? It's pretty clear that Mesmer still can't get any love, they have to be the least played. Necro and Engineer round out the lowest tier.

Mind you I'm not saying these are the worst, just the least popular. Every class is viable, obviously.

Most popular has to be Elementalist and Warrior, and I'd say Ranger and Guardian are on a slightly lower tier but still vastly more popular than the others.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I think warrior, right now, is the "easiest" to get through the game. I love ele, though. tons of fun figuring out the weapon slots and system.

The thing is, I find myself switching back and forth with my mes between (mostly) 3 sets, and sometimes 4. As you progress, builds just get so much stronger--some are more sensible and viable in the early levels, while others become very powerful in later levels, when you start unlocking second tier traits.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So what's everyone's thoughts on the least/most played classes? It's pretty clear that Mesmer still can't get any love, they have to be the least played. Necro and Engineer round out the lowest tier.

Mind you I'm not saying these are the worst, just the least popular. Every class is viable, obviously.

Most popular has to be Elementalist and Warrior, and I'd say Ranger and Guardian are on a slightly lower tier but still vastly more popular than the others.

honestly, I see mesmers all over the place on our server, Engineers, too. I see fewer Necs than anything.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
GW2 has plenty of stuff to do to pimp your character - prestige armor skins and legendary weapons are huge huge grinds (optional of course).

Orr feels like an open world raid area, where solo players will have to take extra care or aggro half of the map with very dangerous mobs.

The item argument is a crappy one.

In WoW (and wow-like)nonce you have bis there is no progression whatever until new content.
And once there is a new xpac, raid items are rendered obsolete by quest rewards.

The main difference is that in GW2 the grind is optional (since it isn't required to be competitive) and can be done with involving a huge number of other people, in your own time and at your pace. This also mean you can have several characters fully capable and competitive and since GW2 involves loads of active game play and builds, it means the player can keep progressing even after the character stopped progressing.

GW2 xpacs will most likely increase level.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
GW2 xpacs will most likely increase level.

I don't see Arenanet raising the level cap. Instead, I expect they'll chart the same course from GW1 and not touch the cap in favor of opening another continent with leveling zones from 1-80 with a new race added (Tengu) and two new professions that are specific to that new race. Also like Guild Wars 1, I would expect the expansions to be standalone products that do not require the original game.

GW has never been a game about getting to the level cap anyway, after all there were people there within a few days of release. At the current rate of 1.5 hours per level, how high would they need raise the cap anyway to give us a worthwhile experience? 120? It just doesn't jive with the way this game is situated.

Also, it doesn't get you to buy new character expansion slots! :)

Last edited:

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
I don't see Arenanet raising the level cap. Instead, I expect they'll chart the same course from GW1 and not touch the cap in favor of opening another continent with leveling zones from 1-80 with a new race added (Tengu) and two new professions that are specific to that new race. Also like Guild Wars 1, I would expect the expansions to be standalone products that do not require the original game.

GW has never been a game about getting to the level cap anyway, after all there were people there within a few days of release. At the current rate of 1.5 hours per level, how high would they need raise the cap anyway to give us a worthwhile experience? 120? It just doesn't jive with the way this game is situated.

Also, it doesn't get you to buy new character expansion slots! :)

Anet said they will most likely increase level cap with expansions

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/19873-level-cap-increase-in-expansions/

Well those exotic items still take a decent number of crap to craft, dungeon tokens or karma (42K karma apiece).

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Want to chime back in and say what an amazing job these guys have done with the maps. I have never played a game where exploring the entire zone was a goal of mine. The scenic views and different terrain make it worth hitting every heart, vista, point ect. They did an absolutely amazing job of it imo.

I probably have about 50 screeenshots and my guardian is only lvl 19 :D

Last edited:

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
So far I'm not quite so enamored with this game. Its a good game. But realistically..there is nothing else..so I think it's getting quite a bit more hype than it really should.

It's very grindy, but fortunately they made the areas where you grind flow pretty well and everything gives you experience.

Kits are nice..talent tree and skill points seem to matter. Crafting seems kind of blah.
World is very pretty and the overflow server seems nice.

My first impressions after a week or so of playing that if it really doesn't GRAB me soon..it's going to turn into SWTOR and I'm going to piddle out mid 40's.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Go Scepter/Dagger earth and get back to me :)

Amen.

Scepter dagger combo, switching between the 4 elements what is needed.

Some fights I start out as:

/Charge Earth #2
/Fire signet
/Lightning #4 (at same time with #2 and #3)
/Lightning #5
/Change to earth and #1 + #2
/earth #4 (when enemy gets close)

SOmetimes I do

/Fire #2
/Fire #3
/Change to lightning and #1 (With 2 and 3 at same time)
/Lightning #5 (When mob is close)
/Change to earth (#1)
/Earth #3
/Earth #4

I mean the combos are madness.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
A few misconceptions I think people seem to have about the genre, let alone GW2.

(A). No MMO has years worth of endgame content until many implementations. Any MMO, if a person is dedicated enough can level crazy fast, it has been seen in ever game, because people like that challenge of "being first". Any MMO RPG had 0-minimum 'endgame' at the beginning.

(B). "Leveling is so easy and fast I can do X to level" Well, once you brake level 10. Mobs 2-3 levels higher than you will kick your ass. You may get away with a kill if you play smart, but as you try and kite you may pick up a 2nd friend looking to eat you. Also as I stated leveling is an average of 1 level per hour. Which is about decent and what is expected in this age of MMO. Most of the 80s either "cheezed the system (banned by the way)" or they literally played 16 hours a day for first 4 days. Anyone who plays that much would max out real quick. I am 1.5weeks in, 47 hours in and level 42. Also as you level, mobs get smarter. A.I realizes it is in AoE and moves out of it. They will interrupt your spells and use abilities to stun you. (Also rushing to 80 is a horrible way to play this game fyi)

(c). This endgame isn't always about the "raiding" this is more about how a person wants to enjoy their own game. Want to join in on some of the max level 100+ people needed events in which bosses kick your ass? Want to do a small personal dungeon of 5 people, that will get harder after the first playthrough in which you can go to new areas that was not previously accessible? Want to compete in pvp? Want to compete in a Huge WvWvW map in which pvp affects the server? Also as I have previously stated before.

(d). "Game is grindy" No offense, but if this is a definition of grinding, you obviously haen't played EQ or Asheron's Call. THOSE were grindy. That was the first age of MMOs, in which you just killed stuff. All the "quests" you do in here you literally have multiple things you can do to progress it. The only way for an MMO to level someone would be through an XP resource. Whether that is killing, or just questing (with no killing), either way leveling will always feel grindy though. Reguardless which game it is. Some people like it, some dont.

(e). Crafting is amazing. I love that I can discover items by mixing them in a panel, or that I can purchase recipes through karma. Also crafting is difficult and you need a while to gather resources to get enough to really get some crafting done. That said, I don't know how good the items are at max level and craft. But I like how it is now. At least it isnt as brain numbing as SWTOR that you literally did nothing to acquire the mats, or as simplified as WoW in which you just obtain mats easily and make the objects.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
02:27, 5 September 2012 (UTC)
Account Security Hackers have lists of email addresses and passwords stolen from other games and web sites, and collected through spyware, and are systematically testing Guild Wars 2 looking for matching accounts. To protect yourself, use a strong, unique password for Guild Wars 2 that you've never used anywhere else!

Rezist

Jun 20, 2009
I'm playing a pistol shield engineer and the game so far is easy to kill higher level mobs but killing with this combo is long. All my damage comes from bleeds, also thieves kick ass in pvp. I wanted to focus mainly on turrets but there so useless that I'm using bomb kits and potions.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I'm playing a pistol shield engineer and the game so far is easy to kill higher level mobs but killing with this combo is long. All my damage comes from bleeds, also thieves kick ass in pvp. I wanted to focus mainly on turrets but there so useless that I'm using bomb kits and potions.

I also play an engineer but use a rifle. I can easily kill a single mob 5 levels above me and take on a 2-3 if they are within a few levels. The only time I have problems is soloing a world event or skill challenge if they are more than 3 levels above me. Sucks right now because I'm stuck at 37, my story level is around 42 and I've cleared all relevant zones. I'm to the point where I have to grind away to level up and that frustrates me being at such a low level.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I'm level 36 and didn't do AC yet...am I doing it wrong?
Seems like i'm outleveled but most of the guildies...
Should I just sit at AC entrance and spam the map chat?