Guildwars 2 Beta Thread

Page 44 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I was getting 19 fps in a massive WvW battle on my 2600K.GTX570. Game needs a better optimization.

For me battles with a lot of players ran a lot better in this beta than the last one, so hopefully it's something they can keep improving. I haven't tried Wvw though so I'm not sure how many people are in there but events with a lot of people participating ran a lot better for me this time around.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What's everyone's favorite class/build type so far?

what was the final event and is it correct that Vasburg got nothing? :(

anyhoo--for me it is obviously Mes. I played nothing else since last day of BW1. I enjoyed Nec and Thief, but thief was far too squishy (was still trying to figure out the game, so I clearly need to devote more time to trying to dual dagger that class. nec was just too strong).

One concern with Mes is that instead of "fixing" their clones (unbdinding their spawn from targets), they nerfed nearly all of them--essentially zero damage from clones and phantasms (even after boosting them in traits). but they made illusionary dualist (your gun-wielding clone skill when equipping pistol in off-hand) a insta-death cannon. It's mostly spammable, too.

So, clearly some balance issues. I didn't have to much of a problem with the new tiered traits--you can still pick and choose which you want to unlock first (my Mes build does need to unlock 6 point tier ASAP, though.) They also added some serious PvP skills to Mes, as though they didn't have enough: a field that grants 6 seconds of stealth to all part members--a zone skill that brings up all local party members from downed state, and will remain alive if they kill target. That was damn fun in PvE--just running around finding downed people, auto-reviving them.

There is still some balance issues with the class to work on, obviously--but Scepter/pistol still seems to offer the best set for PvE, with staff the clear second--or even first choice.

As for current state of the game: I don't think lack of access of Sylvari and Asura should indicate anything as to how finished the game is. That is simply content that is not available to the "open" Beta events. There is a persistent closed Beta that works on these things daily. I'd much rather have unexplored content, anyway, when the game is finally released.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
The final event was supposedly an absolute blast. When it began "unbounded" (or something like that) started attacking all the waypoints in the Plains of Ashford. You had to fight off the attacking hordes from each waypoint to win. However if you were defeated you turned "unbounded" and had to fight against the other players.

Essentially Zombie Mod for GW2. We did not get it on the main server though some people were saying Vasbergs overflow got it (Might have been Map chat bullshit). I stood around for over an hour in the Plains of Ashford waiting for it to start and nothing.

ponyxslayer

Jun 21, 2012
The final event was supposedly an absolute blast. When it began "unbounded" (or something like that) started attacking all the waypoints in the Plains of Ashford. You had to fight off the attacking hordes from each waypoint to win. However if you were defeated you turned "unbounded" and had to fight against the other players.

Essentially Zombie Mod for GW2. We did not get it on the main server though some people were saying Vasbergs overflow got it (Might have been Map chat bullshit). I stood around for over an hour in the Plains of Ashford waiting for it to start and nothing.

I assume it was "map chat bullshit" because what really happend was an event called The Great Critter Hunt. Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRXT1Tg46Ao&feature=related

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I am watching videos of WvW. And quite honestly I am about to buy the pre-order. It is like DAOC with more fluid graphics. Looks like an absolute blast to play! Stress test next Weds for a few hours.

SinOfLiberty

Apr 27, 2011
I will definitely play 4 hour stress test event. I had a bad time with my 1st try of GW2 in BWE2. I hope to improve upon a game so to say.

Also, does anyone know how to travel to another starting area(besides The Planes Of Ashword)? This is my 1 MMo game, sorry for dumb questions.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I will definitely play 4 hour stress test event. I had a bad time with my 1st try of GW2 in BWE2. I hope to improve upon a game so to say.

Also, does anyone know how to travel to another starting area(besides The Planes Of Ashword)? This is my 1 MMo game, sorry for dumb questions.

take portal to LA. all the open portals during Beta events can be found in LA.

ponyxslayer

Jun 21, 2012

Well for basic traveling you can look at your map (m) and then find where you can walk into new zones. You can also travel via waypoints.
Another way that is more complicated but cheaper for longer travel is by opening the PvP tab, then clicking "Be in the mists". From there look for the largest pink portal labeled "Lion's Arch". You go through the portal then walk to the place in Lions Arch called "Portal Hub" From there go through whatever portal you wish. Only 3 are opened for the beta.

ponyxslayer

Jun 21, 2012
While I am here who is interested in making joining a guild some friends and I have made? We have a teamspeak server and are currently playing on "Fort Aspenwood" server. I am not sure if I can recruit on these forums so I wont. But I guess if you want more info PM me.

malikq86

May 29, 2012
this is the best game ever..i played GW1 for many hours...and this game lives up to being bigger and better. betas were awesome. can't wait for #3.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
I was in the stress test - played between 18:00 and 19:45 when the football match started (defeat on the penalties :( ).

Performance seems to keep improving, started fine, but after some 10 minutes the human area started lagging bad.

Charr area was working fine.

I dislike the fact that a level 22 can sneeze and kill my level 14 Engineer - for a game that is skill based and big on exploration, it is harsh.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
.By the way the BWE #3 was also announced in the same blog post.

To this end, I’m excited to announce that our next and final Beta Weekend Event is planned for July 20-22.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I will probably order the 70 dollar pre-order version. Wont be able to make the beta weekend though.