Guildwars 2 Beta Thread

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
It didn't feel like a grind before (still didn't notice that I was leveling), but I'd like them to keep a quicker rate (GW was never really about leveling, as you could pretty much max out in a day) if for no other reason that it makes the game easier to get into when first starting. It's still difficult, but I think making the first handful of levels progress quicker will allow new players to get a better handle of the game mechanics--hopefully dying less and realizing quicker that they simply can't tank/heal/dps--and really should play the game as it was designed to be played.

The mob respawn is still punishing, though, at any level :\

Not during prophecies.

Yeah, the mob respawn rate and the overall idea of mobs standing around instead of patrolling is one of the aspects I dislike.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Not during prophecies.

Yeah, the mob respawn rate and the overall idea of mobs standing around instead of patrolling is one of the aspects I dislike.

true, Prophecies was a chore. But eventually...one tended to spend so much more time in the other campaigns once Heroes became the standard.

I have seen some mobs patrolling, but not very far and not nearly as common as they would in GW1. This would be a nice thing, and if they just added the mobs to your minimap/radar...

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
true, Prophecies was a chore. But eventually...one tended to spend so much more time in the other campaigns once Heroes became the standard.

I have seen some mobs patrolling, but not very far and not nearly as common as they would in GW1. This would be a nice thing, and if they just added the mobs to your minimap/radar...

Those 2 things would just get rid of part of the WoW feeling and return of the GW1 feeling - my GF keeps saying it feels a lot like WoW. She also dislikes the removal of the click to follow feature - she used to click on my name on the party pane, press space and follow me.

Of course part of her protests stem from the fact that while she like playing games, she doesn't like the learning process, especially cause I do loads of research and know more quicker than her and I guess she feels she is slowing me down.

Last edited:

ddarko

Jun 18, 2006
i heard retailers always get the date wrong.

I don't put any faith in dates printed on flyers or used in computer stock systems because they're frequently nothing more than placeholders plucked out of thin air by a random guy in sales. However, when the CFO of Gamestop says on his company's earning call that the game has been pushed out to next quarter, meaning the earliest release month is August (Gamestop's current quarter includes July), that's a lot more concrete. He's a senior management officer in a position to know - NCsoft may not have said anything in public but they and every other game publisher provide updates to giant retailers about expected release dates since so much marketing, publicity and advertising has to be planned and coordinated in advance - and he has a legal obligation as a corporate officer not to release false or misleading info to the public. Guild Wars 2 is a title that's going to have a material impact on Gamestop's revenues so when its revenue boost will hit the bottom line is a matter of interest to shareholders:

CFO Robert Lloyd stating that Guild Wars 2 has been bumped out of the current quarter, putting its release sometime after July.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/0...ll-adds-to-guild-wars-2-release-date-specula/

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't put any faith in dates printed on flyers or used in computer stock systems because they're frequently nothing more than placeholders plucked out of thin air by a random guy in sales. However, when the CFO of Gamestop says on his company's earning call that the game has been pushed out to next quarter, meaning the earliest release month is August (Gamestop's current quarter includes July), that's a lot more concrete. He's a senior management officer in a position to know - NCsoft may not have said anything in public but they and every other game publisher provide updates to giant retailers about expected release dates since so much marketing, publicity and advertising has to be planned and coordinated in advance - and he has a legal obligation as a corporate officer not to release false or misleading info to the public. Guild Wars 2 is a title that's going to have a material impact on Gamestop's revenues so when its revenue boost will hit the bottom line is a matter of interest to shareholders:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/0...ll-adds-to-guild-wars-2-release-date-specula/

But Gamestop doesn't give a flip about PC games. why does the CFO of Gamestop care? ....unless he looks at this in terms of competition eating into their revenue?

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
Nice looking forward to see how it plays on my GTX 670 and Catleap monitor. Was rocking my 5850 and 23" last beta.

SinOfLiberty

Apr 27, 2011
Still cant decide on Guilds Wars 2 or Bf3 Premium(Diablo 3 out of choice). After reading a ton of Guild Wars 2 descriptive information i am 80% sure to pre-order it. Wanna get into a beta weekend WvWvW so badly.

Just wanna take a break from FPS genre. Do all of you guys pre-purchased a game or still waiting till the last minute?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Still cant decide on Guilds Wars 2 or Bf3 Premium(Diablo 3 out of choice). After reading a ton of Guild Wars 2 descriptive information i am 80% sure to pre-order it. Wanna get into a beta weekend WvWvW so badly.

Just wanna take a break from FPS genre. Do all of you guys pre-purchased a game or still waiting till the last minute?

I think anyone who has been playing Beta (since the open/invite Beta began in April) have already purchased it. Demand has been so great that it seems ANet has been unable to release invites to those whom haven't pre-purchased.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003

Already bought 2 copies (one for me, one for wife), and we will be buying the collector's edition as well.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Been watching youtube video's of this game. Lets say I am interested. But not interested enough to plop down money to get into the beta test. I will put this one on my radar.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Been watching youtube video's of this game. Lets say I am interested. But not interested enough to plop down money to get into the beta test. I will put this one on my radar.

What's money? Come on take a chance! ;)

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008

There are loads of sites giving beta keys for the next bwe. I would look into that.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I'm looking forward to this, hopefully I'll be around to play next weekend. I really hope the lag is fixed too, that was my major complaint from the past events, it's pretty frustrating to play when you're getting major delay and jumping pretty often.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I'm looking forward to this, hopefully I'll be around to play next weekend. I really hope the lag is fixed too, that was my major complaint from the past events, it's pretty frustrating to play when you're getting major delay and jumping pretty often.

Big time, the game is pointless if it's going to be the lagfest it's been in the last three events.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Big time, the game is pointless if it's going to be the lagfest it's been in the last three events.

Supposedly they got more servers and/or boosted their hardware.

Although I didn't have delay issues, just bad performance and logging issues.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
My understanding was they delayed the May event because they needed to bolster their hardware (If this means more servers or better servers who knows) and by the time that was implemented it was the holiday weekend. So that's why it was delayed to the 8th. Either way that is what these tests are about. Cannot wait for the 8th I just got my Korean IPS monitor today.