Guildwars 2 Beta Thread

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Got my 200 zkeys last night, 25/30. Half way through Factions; once I beat with Master on all missions and I'll have 28/30. Then maybe buy myself 3 sets of elite armor, or do the scavenger hunt for the unique mini and get myself one of the unique Ranger pets.

Anyone know if you can get to I think it's Sorrow's and Furnace without beating Prophecies? I don't feel like running through it again.

Last edited:

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Got my 200 zkeys last night, 25/30. Half way through Factions; once I beat with Master on all missions and I'll have 28/30. Then maybe buy myself 3 sets of elite armor, or do the scavenger hunt for the unique mini and get myself one of the unique Ranger pets.

Anyone know if you can get to I think it's Sorrow's and Furnace without beating Prophecies? I don't feel like running through it again.

You don't have to beat the game and I'm pretty sure you could probably run all the way there if you wanted to but I remember some zones being pretty hard to run through (the ones filled with the giant worm guys), but I don't know if they've changed that or not.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It can be a very tough run to SF, though I haven't been there in quite some time. My hunch is that the mechanics of it has changed long since I played there. :\

dang--how did you get so many points so fast--especially the moneys to get 200 zkeys?

I went from 28 to 32 points over the last two days--finishing up WiK quest to grab an oppressor weapon and spent 23e on an Armbrace for point #30. Then gave my last 27e to my guild leader who is going for obsidian, and my last amber. He gave me a pile of cheapo minipets that I never asked for, but I dedicated those and got the 2 extra points (now at 20 minipets, haha).

So, I'm down to only 250k liquid assets with the loss of all my ecto. I feel so poor... :(

was it your pets, gothamhunter, that I bought the other day? I made that money back in like...1 hour, hah.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
It can be a very tough run to SF, though I haven't been there in quite some time. My hunch is that the mechanics of it has changed long since I played there. :\

dang--how did you get so many points so fast--especially the moneys to get 200 zkeys?

I went from 28 to 32 points over the last two days--finishing up WiK quest to grab an oppressor weapon and spent 23e on an Armbrace for point #30. Then gave my last 27e to my guild leader who is going for obsidian, and my last amber. He gave me a pile of cheapo minipets that I never asked for, but I dedicated those and got the 2 extra points (now at 20 minipets, haha).

So, I'm down to only 250k liquid assets with the loss of all my ecto. I feel so poor... :(

was it your pets, gothamhunter, that I bought the other day? I made that money back in like...1 hour, hah.

I had a previous account that was hacked way back in the day that I knew about but couldn't get the means to claim it was mine. Finally I was able to through talking with NCSoft and added it to my NCSoft account, permanently binding it to me.

Low and behold it was full of minipets, golds, a crapload of plat and ectos. I loaded up the GW dual box app to launch both accounts at the same time, transferred it all over to my current account, and went on a dedicating/buying spree. Bought z-keys at a rate of 3 keys to 2 ecto (3/2), dedicated all the minipets, and bought some weapons. I've been working on the campaigns, elite armor for all of my heroes, and my ranger pets.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I had a previous account that was hacked way back in the day that I knew about but couldn't get the means to claim it was mine. Finally I was able to through talking with NCSoft and added it to my NCSoft account, permanently binding it to me.

Low and behold it was full of minipets, golds, a crapload of plat and ectos. I loaded up the GW dual box app to launch both accounts at the same time, transferred it all over to my current account, and went on a dedicating/buying spree. Bought z-keys at a rate of 3 keys to 2 ecto (3/2), dedicated all the minipets, and bought some weapons. I've been working on the campaigns, elite armor for all of my heroes, and my ranger pets.

nice! :D

gladiatorua

Nov 21, 2011
16/50 HoM... It's starting to look like 30 points are quite easy to reach. Even 35.

It's kinda funny that Asura in GW2 are all cute and cuddly, while in GW1... creepy little f... buggers =). With big mouth and lots of big quite big teeth.

The Wayfarer

Aug 11, 2005
One of my only complaints about GW1 - and it was a big one - was all the invisible walls, and inaccessible map areas. I love love love exploring new areas, trying to get to places that are hard to reach, and so forth.

Does GW2 *really* have a completely open, accessible, sandbox-type world, or is it just less confined than the original?

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Beat Factions storyline and Mastered all of the missions, 28/30.

Which of the expensive armors is the cheapest? (Vabbian, Luxon, Obsidian).

Getting one of those three will finish off my goal of 30.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Beat Factions storyline and Mastered all of the missions, 28/30.

Which of the expensive armors is the cheapest? (Vabbian, Luxon, Obsidian).

Getting one of those three will finish off my goal of 30.

Luxon/Kurzick.

BY FAR.

:p

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Estimated price for one of those?

Off the top of my head...no idea. But your just dealing with jade or amber prices and the normal mats, instead of all the gems (ruby, diamond, emerald?) or obsid mats (ecto/onyx) plus standard mats.

I seem to remember amber hovering between 300-650g per piece from traders, with jade a bit cheaper. No idea what it is right now.

If I have any jade, I'll give it to you later; but it's likely a very small amount as I never cared to obtain it (maybe 2 pieces of armor for my ele, I think, is all I ever needed it for) because Luxons are fucking assholes. :p

Also, you can always get amber and jade for free by turning in faction (3k each, I think?) which is ridiculously fast now with vanquishing and faction reward bounties.

I'm cheap as hell, so back when Kurzick armor was the only thing I wanted, and there was no such thing as hard mode, let alone faction bounties, it was quest rewards and the painful turn into occasional PvP for faction. That took for freaking ever just to get a standard set of Kurzick armor.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
One of my only complaints about GW1 - and it was a big one - was all the invisible walls, and inaccessible map areas. I love love love exploring new areas, trying to get to places that are hard to reach, and so forth.

Does GW2 *really* have a completely open, accessible, sandbox-type world, or is it just less confined than the original?

the invisible wall is annoying. I didn't mind it so much when I was playing, as such things didn't concern me in those days. Playing other games since then, though, it is really frustrating.

From the beta videos that I have seen, there certainly appears to be much less of that--people are constantly falling off of ledges and being forced to run around and back up stairs to rejoin the team, you can swim, and of course there is now jumping.

I am sure that each zone will have invisible walls at their boundaries--maybe, that's only speculation--but it does appear that at the very least, I won't have to worry about getting stuck between that 2" pile of rocks and rotten log ever again, which is a major improvement.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Off the top of my head...no idea. But your just dealing with jade or amber prices and the normal mats, instead of all the gems (ruby, diamond, emerald?) or obsid mats (ecto/onyx) plus standard mats.

I seem to remember amber hovering between 300-650g per piece from traders, with jade a bit cheaper. No idea what it is right now.

If I have any jade, I'll give it to you later; but it's likely a very small amount as I never cared to obtain it (maybe 2 pieces of armor for my ele, I think, is all I ever needed it for) because Luxons are fucking assholes. :p

Also, you can always get amber and jade for free by turning in faction (3k each, I think?) which is ridiculously fast now with vanquishing and faction reward bounties.

I'm cheap as hell, so back when Kurzick armor was the only thing I wanted, and there was no such thing as hard mode, let alone faction bounties, it was quest rewards and the painful turn into occasional PvP for faction. That took for freaking ever just to get a standard set of Kurzick armor.

Do you need to be at a certain rank with them first? Also, I guess I'm Luxon (just joined someone who invited me since my main goal was HOM), if you have any of those mats avail...:)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah, i think you need the first rank in title, at least, to access the armorers.

I think that's 50 or 100k faction? ...not really that hard these days, if you are into vanquishing.

all of that considered, it might be more expensive than I think--time invested.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yeah, i think you need the first rank in title, at least, to access the armorers.

I think that's 50 or 100k faction? ...not really that hard these days, if you are into vanquishing.

all of that considered, it might be more expensive than I think--time invested.

Investing time is what I'm trying to avoid :) I got 10k in both, enough to complete all the missions and get the first rank...

Last edited:

jcwagers

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2000
Estimated price for one of those?

Amber chunks and Jadeite are going for 1.1k each right now. You need 80 Amber chunks to get a complete set of elite armor of Kurzick and 80 Jadeite for elite Luxon. The prices will fluctuate and usually Jadeite is cheaper than Amber chunks. You're looking at 75k just for crafting the armor around 80k for the amber and then whatever specific materials you need for your profession's armor. For the time being, you're looking at probably 160k at minimum for a set of armor if you count buying the other materials other than the amber/jadeite.