GUIDE: Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon with Nvidia GPU(s)

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
1.5 years ago, after several years of using only Gentoo Linux, I made the mistake to choose OpenSuse Tumbleweed for one of my dual-socket crunchers. At least half of the few occasions when I updated left me with a non-working system, and I needed to revert to an earlier snapshot. But this is specific to Tumbleweed, not to OpenSuse or Linux in general. IOW, "never run a changing system".

Reactions: TennesseeTony

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
On my main rig, I update the system frequently. On dedicate linux DC rigs, I don't update system very often. Keep in mind, you may have to reinstall the nvidia driver with kernel updates.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
On one of the clients, I was unable to get BOINC to restart properly, so I restarted the machine, and, magically, a network cable is reportedly unplugged (false). How do I reset the net adapter/reinstall drivers/whatever I need to do to fix it?

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
On one of the clients, I was unable to get BOINC to restart properly, so I restarted the machine, and, magically, a network cable is reportedly unplugged (false). How do I reset the net adapter/reinstall drivers/whatever I need to do to fix it?

To check status:

nmcli networking connectivity

To stop service do:

nmcli networking off

and to restart do:

nmcli networking on

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
I crawled and climbed my way to the back of this particular rig, and re-positioned the network cable to the 2nd built-in NIC port, and all is well. I am left to wonder if I have a hardware failure, or a software failure, however. :cool:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
That's when you write "Possible bad NIC?" on a piece of tape slapped on the box, as not to forget! :D

Reactions: Ken g6

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I don't recall ever having a software problem on linux with wired ethernet but I guess there's a first time for everything.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Maybe both NICs still work but their interface names were swapped, due to whatever seemingly unrelated hardware or software change on the system. But I don't know how Mint deals with NIC names (which are generally dynamic nowadays), I have it only on hosts with a single NIC myself.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I don't recall ever having a software problem on linux with wired ethernet but I guess there's a first time for everything.
I keep having that problem with my Xubuntu box. Sometimes Network Manager doesn't start.

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
Sorry, but I am bringing this thread back from the dead.
I changed out my GPU in my Linux box with a GPU more suited for the PG AP27 challenge. I have a EVGA 1060 6gb with ICX cooling- GPU fan vs Memory fan can be controlled separately- installed now. Issue at hand is the GPU fan runs and I can control it with Coolbits in the nVidia server program. The memory fan OTOH is not controllable via coolbits/ nVidia server, I am not sure it has even ran. I also cannot monitor the other temp sensors (memory and such) on said GPU to see what they are actually running at. The GPU is running @ 46*-48*C as shown by PSensor - the only temp I can actually see-

TLDR; I guess what I am trying to ask is if anyone knows how I can- in Linux- override EVGA ICX fan controls with some program that I might have missed in my searching with Google Tech line. I do have the latest Linux nVidia drivers and Coolbits set for the most control of GPUs, but no memory fan control.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I think EVGA is the only manufacturer that offers asynchronous fan control and only on some of the models. I don't know of any software available for linux that reads the multiple thermal sensors and allows asynchronous fan control of these EVGA cards.

I have an EVGA 1080Ti that has these features but queries with nvidia-settings reveals only one sensor and one fan. I have cool-bits enabled and fortunately for me, the fan control ramps up both fans on the card.

Reactions: Howdy

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
I think EVGA is the only manufacturer that offers asynchronous fan control and only on some of the models. I don't know of any software available for linux that reads the multiple thermal sensors and allows asynchronous fan control of these EVGA cards.

I have an EVGA 1080Ti that has these features but queries with nvidia-settings reveals only one sensor and one fan. I have cool-bits enabled and fortunately for me, the fan control ramps up both fans on the card.

Interesting that it will ramp both fans for you when they are essentially/ aside from GPU the same "set up". I'll be pulling it from the machine at the end of the challenge and put the 1030 back in......maybe, haven't quite decided yet.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Interesting that it will ramp both fans for you when they are essentially/ aside from GPU the same "set up". I'll be pulling it from the machine at the end of the challenge and put the 1030 back in......maybe, haven't quite decided yet.

I also have a 1080 SC2 ICX with asynchronous fan control on my 2700X and it also has both fans spinning. I do have both ICX cards in the second PCIe slot with other non ICX cards in the primary PCIe slot. I wonder if that makes a difference.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
@Howdy2u2 , You are right. I only have manual control of the rear fan (closest to back of case) on these cards with coolbits enabled. With manual fan control disabled, both fans eventually come to a complete stop when I suspend the load (front fan stops first). When I enable the load on the GPU and the temp starts ramping up, the back fan turns on first and then front fan eventually turns on too. I think it's best that I keep these cards in the second PCIe slot (cooler running in my expereience) and let the card bios control both fans automatically. I admit it's a little disconcerting not knowing what the readouts of memory and VRM temps are on these cards and not having control of the front fan. I like EVGA cards but I'll think long an hard about buying another one with these features for use on linux.

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
@Howdy2u2 , You are right. I only have manual control of the rear fan (closest to back of case) on these cards with coolbits enabled. With manual fan control disabled, both fans eventually come to a complete stop when I suspend the load (front fan stops first). When I enable the load on the GPU and the temp starts ramping up, the back fan turns on first and then front fan eventually turns on too. I think it's best that I keep these cards in the second PCIe slot (cooler running in my expereience) and let the card bios control both fans automatically. I admit it's a little disconcerting not knowing what the readouts of memory and VRM temps are on these cards and not having control of the front fan. I like EVGA cards but I'll think long an hard about buying another one with these features for use on linux.

Same situation with mine, although I have not disabled coolbits. I just let it run and went with it hoping it didn't cook itself. Last sentence is a true statement, no asynchronous on Linux.