Guess what's spreading in Trump country?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Snarf Snarf

Feb 19, 2015
Opioid epidemic just growing in size.

Need major healthcare reform, and not simply getting people "care", but teaching doctors that prescribing for pain needs to be a lot more carefully considered.

This is a very real problem, especially in some of these impoverished areas where a lot of these people do not have PCP's but instead go to clinics to get medical help. With the high volume of patients they have to see it certainly is easier to give those with chronic pain something to get them out the door. Most of those people need very large lifestyle changes or have had their bodies broken down through very hard labor and without surgeries (which often times make the pain worst) or rehab programs they will live with this pain for the rest of their lives. These are the states that should really be listening to the science coming from other countries about the prospect of prescribing Marijuana or CBD derived pain treatment as a replacement for opioids.

Anecdotal evidence here, but I just turned 30 and have started dealing with bad knee and ankle pain from a lifetime of playing soccer (every day from 12-24 then 3 times a week from 24-present). The day after a competitive game I was literally a useless human being. Joint pain so bad I couldn't get up or down stairs, and definitely could not have worked a full shift at work. To get through the day I was having to ice and take Ibuprofen 800's round the clock just to be able to get to the restroom and kitchen etc. About 2 months back a friend of mine told me to try some CBD products to help eliminate the inflammation that was likely causing my pain and lack of mobility after playing. Tried having some CBD edibles that were THC free immediately after the game, little bit of ice, and a topical CBD anti-inflammatory cream after a hot shower. The combination has me waking up the next morning feeling like I'm 22 again. No pain, no lack of mobility, no need to take any pain medicine or even ice the next day. The difference has been incredible, needless to say I stocked up on the CBD fruit chews and bought about 5 of the pain creams. I know this won't work for every ones type of pain but what it did for me was one of the most amazing things I've ever experienced.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Well not much good on the opposition side either. Middle is pretty much gone and anyone who doesn't hate the "other" guy is to be hated or at least dismissed as well.

The deevolution of human society. It happens so fast.
Thanks for obligatory "both sides" post we were all waiting for while GOP sabotages the health insurance system.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Thanks for obligatory "both sides" post we were all waiting for while GOP sabotages the health insurance system.

I didn't expect you to understand it, but it's true nonetheless. The GOP is responsible for what it does, but it is also not responsible for what some want them to be guilty of, at least not all Republicans, and this is where equivalence comes in. The Dems are responsible for the problems they now have. There is no cohesive leadership and blaming Reps for that is idiot fodder. Get your act in order and don't run another Hillary because while people may love her here and other places like reddit will downvote your ass if you have the least negative thing to say it does not matter.

Someone elsewhere was expressing his thoughts on the hate from both sides, and you can justify it all you like but it does nothing constructive.

They said that a Biden/McCain ticket might be the thing. Obviously not them because McCain won't likely live too much longer, but the point being that two rational people not of the same party working together might get something positive done. If nothing else it gives someone both parties can hate.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I didn't expect you to understand it, but it's true nonetheless. The GOP is responsible for what it does, but it is also not responsible for what some want them to be guilty of, at least not all Republicans, and this is where equivalence comes in. The Dems are responsible for the problems they now have. There is no cohesive leadership and blaming Reps for that is idiot fodder. Get your act in order and don't run another Hillary because while people may love her here and other places like reddit will downvote your ass if you have the least negative thing to say it does not matter.

Someone elsewhere was expressing his thoughts on the hate from both sides, and you can justify it all you like but it does nothing constructive.

They said that a Biden/McCain ticket might be the thing. Obviously not them because McCain won't likely live too much longer, but the point being that two rational people not of the same party working together might get something positive done. If nothing else it gives someone both parties can hate.

OK, enjoy HIV in your communities while you focus on the political instead of the substantive. One day you will see a difference between "both sides," maybe. Both sides were not against needle exchanges, one side was. Both sides did not try to block Medicaid expansion, one side did. Both sides aren't trying to sabotage the health insurance market for leverage, one is. HIV spread among IV drug users are just flowers of a health care system failure. The fruits will be later. Look at Russia following collapse of USSR, etc. If you need San Francisco liberals to convince you to save yourself from yourself, then you are in big trouble.

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
OK, enjoy HIV in your communities while you focus on the political instead of the substantive. One day you will see a difference between "both sides," maybe.

All appearances suggest that you are the one which enjoys the suffering. They're doing wrong and that let's you point and laugh. I'm against almost all things the Republicans are doing. Trump is a disgrace. I know what they are. I also see people becoming as thoughtless as they and enjoying it. This is all connected and the left can either be the adults or play Lord of the Flies. I've seen a lot of people who invent bizarre "alternate facts" unrelated to reality. People need to stop doing that crap. If you get a little thrill from red states getting HIV then there's something wrong with more than your opposition.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
All appearances suggest that you are the one which enjoys the suffering. They're doing wrong and that let's you point and laugh. I'm against almost all things the Republicans are doing. Trump is a disgrace. I know what they are. I also see people becoming as thoughtless as they and enjoying it. This is all connected and the left can either be the adults or play Lord of the Flies. I've seen a lot of people who invent bizarre "alternate facts" unrelated to reality. People need to stop doing that crap. If you get a little thrill from red states getting HIV then there's something wrong with more than your opposition.
Those people are reaping what they have sewn over many many years. I say let them have it, in spades. They have demonstrated a distinct ability to double down on stupid, well the stakes are getting very real now, but it's ultimately down to them to save themselves. Many liberals I know who used to care, frankly don't anymore after Trump. If you want to gut your flyover community's health to give us coastal elites a tax cut on our stock compensation, we'll take it, thank you very much.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Those people are reaping what they have sewn over many many years. I say let them have it, in spades. They have demonstrated a distinct ability to double down on stupid, well the stakes are getting very real now, but it's ultimately down to them to save themselves. Many liberals I know who used to care, frankly don't anymore after Trump. If you want to gut your flyover community's health to give us coastal elites a tax cut on our stock compensation, we'll take it, thank you very much.

Then you delight in the suffering they too embrace. Congrats on becoming a trumpette.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
well, this sucks, but whaddyagonna do. i voted for now cutting health services, and cleaning up big pharma's mess.

Reactions: soundforbjt

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Thanks! Just keep the tax cuts coming, and don't bother us with the problems you create for yourself.

Interesting. A political lobotomy. Why don't you enlighten everyone on what I think of what's on the legislative slate. Back those with facts to support your contention.

Of course that's what Trumpettes would do, sling innuendo and untruths with little regard to reality. Your "alternative facts"

Ah well

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Interesting. A political lobotomy. Why don't you enlighten everyone on what I think of what's on the legislative slate. Back those with facts to support your contention.

Of course that's what Trumpettes would do, sling innuendo and untruths with little regard to reality. Your "alternative facts"

Ah well

You'll "both side" rationalize the legislative slate it to yourself. Which is fine as long as I get mine.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
You'll "both side" rationalize the legislative slate it to yourself. Which is fine as long as I get mine.

Not really but your hatred makes you think that has to be that way. Just like you hating Freedom and the Flag and wanting to tear down the nation (that part seems true), rape babies and eat Bibles.

There's a saying- beware lest you become that which you hate.

It a sad part of the human condition you've embraced as have many others. Perhaps we can put all the haters from both sides together on some island until you are all gone and humans can pick up the pieces.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Good luck with that. I am done trying to convince people to vote for their own self interest if they can't even be convinced to vote for their own survival. When they are tired of winning, maybe they can pull themselves out by their own bootstraps. In the meantime, I will take whatever tax cuts they send my way.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Good luck with that. I am done trying to convince people to vote for their own self interest if they can't even be convinced to vote for their own survival. When they are tired of winning, maybe they can pull themselves out by their own bootstraps. In the meantime, I will take whatever tax cuts they send my way.

What even makes you think if these poor red areas of the map voted for Hillary that their opioid problem would be any better? Like was there a specific policy or even a time she brought it up in a speech?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
This is probably closely related to this observed correlation

It's just another way in which the data on whether Trump voters are the disadvantaged or the advantaged seems very conflicting and contradictory.

I remain of the opinion that it just demonstrates that the US system isn't working very well, but the ideology and the effect of race makes it hard for anyone to admit it.

http://aese.psu.edu/directory/smm67/Election16.pdf

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
What even makes you think if these poor red areas of the map voted for Hillary that their opioid problem would be any better? Like was there a specific policy or even a time she brought it up in a speech?
Medicaid expansion and needle exchanges. All opposed by GOP. Enjoy the consequences. HIV, third world infant mortality, increase in death rate, for starters. It's all worth it so people like me can get a tax cut we didn't even ask for. Both sides are how Republicans are screwing their useful idiot base.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
was she planning on cutting health services like medicare?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Medicaid expansion and needle exchanges. All opposed by GOP. Enjoy the consequences. HIV, third world infant mortality, increase in death rate, for starters. It's all worth it so people like me can get a tax cut we didn't even ask for.

Let's remove any restrictions on firearms. Since the Red States are for that then you can laugh and clap at the results.

Yep everyone has to carry a functional firearm for 1 year. No one is required to use one of course.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

I think that if they hadn't voted for their own economic destruction since Reagan that the impetus to fall into despair would be less.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
was she planning on cutting health services like medicare?

How is more people able to get their first dose of opiates from the local clinic with their new ACA insurance going to help?

Giving more people access to irresponsible medicine probably makes things worse.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
I think that if they hadn't voted for their own economic destruction since Reagan that the impetus to fall into despair would be less.

Opiate overdoses have spiked from 2013 and onward. Are we attributing a 20 year lag to Reagonomics and the opiate epidemic?