GTX295 vs 4870X2

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nosfe

Aug 8, 2007
oh and don't forget that just because there'll be two games out that use PhysX that everybody will like them. Try and convince someone that only plays RTS games of the beauties of PhysX in a platformer and a shooter, see if you'll make him change his video card for that

ricleo2

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Zap
Originally posted by: SSChevy2001
Again it's just a sandwich card that even your GTX280 SLI setup could beat many months ago, why should we be impressed?

What's nice is that you can have near (or so I hear ;) ) the performance without needing an SLI motherboard, more powerful power supply and even an ATX case.

Originally posted by: Ocguy31
I'll be impressed because everyone said it couldnt be done.
We should all point and laugh at anyone who posts an Inq link, even more than before:

Nvidia 270/290 in deep trouble
GT200 based GX2 dead as well
By Charlie Demerjian

LOL, just in the part I quoted, there are THREE things wrong. Well known that Charlie has an axe to grind. Funny thing is that some people believe everything he writes. C'mon people! Have some skepticism! TheInq is like one part Tom's Hardware, one part The Onion and a dash of Fox News. Sometimes some good information, oftentimes entertaining to read, but don't believe everything they say.

I am curious as to why you put Fox News in your analogy. What has Fox News reported that you do not believe?

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: ricleo2
Originally posted by: Zap
LOL, just in the part I quoted, there are THREE things wrong. Well known that Charlie has an axe to grind. Funny thing is that some people believe everything he writes. C'mon people! Have some skepticism! TheInq is like one part Tom's Hardware, one part The Onion and a dash of Fox News. Sometimes some good information, oftentimes entertaining to read, but don't believe everything they say.

I am curious as to why you put Fox News in your analogy. What has Fox News reported that you do not believe?
That's something that can be easily asked through PM, instead of taking this thread even further off track than it's already gotten.

- AmberClad

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
BFG-

I understand if you can't link to your own site I guess, but if you want to put together some FRAPs videos of a modern game at 4XMSAA and 8X MSAA I might be able to figure out a way to host them for you.

I hoenstly haven't noticed a ton of difference in 4X and 8X AA for the most part, but I'd be happy to help with your proof if you supply it.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
The AA debate is kind of pointless. NVIDIA cards run 8XAA just fine and in several cases even superior to ATI.

ATI cards do not run PhysX at all.

If you don't like PhysX, well maybe new technology and high end gaming is not for you. Clearly the Sims sells well without such advancements and it's not for everyone. Although I think you would be wasting your money on any video card over $60 if you did not care about such things.

If you can truly see a difference between 4xAA and 8xAA and yet can not see what PhysX brings to the table....I truly believe you have others issues at play.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: chizow
Except opinion really has nothing to do with it. If you're going to ignore facts and claim the 4850 was more important than the 8800GT, you lack perspective.

Again, this is your opinion only. I think you lack perspective in stating that the 8800GT was more important than the 4850 by ignoring the facts of the initial and post-release pricing difference between the two. But that's why it's called an "opinion".

If you actually bought a 3870 instead of an 8800GT when given the choice, you lack credibility. So when did you buy that 8800GT again?

When given the choice between a 3870 and 8800GT, I bought the 8800GT. The 3870 I picked up recently for my HTPC because it has HDMI w/audio. My wife picked me up an LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/DVD burner drive as a Christmas present and it'll be going into that PC. Hence the desire for a card with HDMI w/audio. Satisfied?

No its not a possible future benefit, the benefit is already realized but has not yet been made available. These are more than just tech demos, they're tangible benefits in productin titles.

How can it possibly be of tangible benefit to anyone if they can't play it? That's like saying a possible future salary raise is a benefit. You can't spend it now. You have to wait until it hits your paycheck. The same goes for PhysX in these titles you keep mentioning.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Creig
Again, this is your opinion only. I think you lack perspective in stating that the 8800GT was more important than the 4850 by ignoring the facts of the initial and post-release pricing difference between the two. But that's why it's called an "opinion".

When given the choice between a 3870 and 8800GT, I bought the 8800GT. The 3870 I picked up recently for my HTPC because it has HDMI w/audio. My wife picked me up an LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/DVD burner drive as a Christmas present and it'll be going into that PC. Hence the desire for HDMI w/audio. Satisfied?
Once again, opinion only distorts your view of the facts and ultimately results in your lack of perspective.

Fact: 8800GT was 2-4x faster than what you would've upgraded from in the same price range (X1800, 7900GT etc).

Fact: 8800GT was almost as fast as the high-end part, but sold for a fraction ($230-300 compared to 500-600).

Fact: The 4850 is maybe 15-20% faster than the 8800GT which could be had for almost 1/2 the price.

Fact: The 4850 cannot compete with high-end performance despite its lower price.

Simple question, and try to answer truthfully, which upgrade resulted in the biggest performance gain: X1800/X1900 to 8800GT or 8800GT to 4850?

The only significance RV770 had was making ATI competitive again and to a lesser degree, forcing Nvidia to lower their prices. Otherwise, it offered nothing significant in the way of performance improvements or price: performance economies.

How can it possibly be of tangible benefit to anyone if they can't play it? That's like saying a possible future salary raise is a benefit. You can't spend it now. You have to wait until it hits your paycheck. The same goes for PhysX in these titles you keep mentioning.
Is this a joke? Own a house? Have a mortgage? Taken a significant loan? What do you think they're basing your credit on? How your hair smells?

So I guess all of these previews about the GTX 295 are also just proposed hardware and proposed benchmarks and proposed future benefits just because they aren't available today and we can't play with it?

Besides which, we don't know if there is any meaningful PhysX content in any of them since they obviously haven't been released yet. And if they haven't yet been made available, then they're not of any current "tangible" benefit to anyone at all.
Yes we do. Mirror's Edge shows very clearly the difference between PhysX and no PhysX. Cryostasis does as well since once again, you will not find any effects like that in any game because there has been no game to-date that comes even close.

nosfe

Aug 8, 2007
Simple question, and try to answer truthfully, which upgrade resulted in the biggest performance gain: X1800/X1900 to 8800GT or 8800GT to 4850?

wasn't there a G80 based card between the x1900 and the 8800gt?

So I guess all of these previews about the GTX 295 are also just proposed hardware and proposed benchmarks and proposed future benefits just because they aren't available today and we can't play with it?

and i guess Duke Nukem Forever is a real game because you saw some pictures of it, right? until it's officially out it's only rumor, or at least that's how i see it

Yes we do. Mirror's Edge shows very clearly the difference between PhysX and no PhysX. Cryostasis does as well since once again, you will not find any effects like that in any game because there has been no game to-date that comes even close.

and what if i(or some other guy) don't like Mirror's Edge or Cryostasis? what then?

where were we? at the GTX295 vs 4870X2?
the GTX295 looks like a step up from the 4870X2 but how many will buy it? aside from those that need to be on the wallet cutting edge and those that have step-up and money to burn?

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: nosfe
wasn't there a G80 based card between the x1900 and the 8800gt?
Yes, but it cost significantly more and if he or anyone else already had it, there wasn't much reason to get an 8800GT. The 8800GT however brought that incredible level of performance to the mainstream unlike any card before or after.

and i guess Duke Nukem Forever is a real game because you saw some pictures of it, right? until it's officially out it's only rumor, or at least that's how i see it
Ya I'd say there's a pretty clear distinction between obscure vaporware that's been rumored for almost a decade compared to demo'd products a few weeks away from launch from reliable and consistent firms.

and what if i(or some other guy) don't like Mirror's Edge or Cryostasis? what then?
Then you don't like it, but that will not change the fact that the games are significantly better with PhysX than without.

nosfe

Aug 8, 2007
The 8800GT however brought that incredible level of performance to the mainstream unlike any card before or after.

the 4850/4870 lowered the prices quite nicely when they appeared; how did we get here anyway? talk about off topic

as to the whole PhysX thing, yes, it looks better with all that extra fluff, is it better than dx10.1 support? yes it is, but it'll take a whole lot more than two games to make someone change their video card just for it and until that happens it's still in the "gimmick" category for me. People will still buy what's the cheapest on the market, when they'll accept to pay say $20 more for an nvidia card of similar performance just because it has PhysX, that's when i'll say that PhysX counts. For instance, take my example, i bought a 3850 because i've found a great deal in my country, the closest nv card at that price was the 8600gts, would you take the 8600gts instead because it has PhysX support?

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
I don't know why you guys are talking about the 4850 and Duke Nukem Forever. :confused:

I've gotta say that this card is not such a big deal. There are too many downsides to having a dual-gpu setup.

The real big news will be when AMD/NV release a brand new GPU.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Whatever, Chizow. You've taken this argument WAY off the thread title. Have fun playing your "future" titles today.

Oh wait, you can't.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: SickBeast
I don't know why you guys are talking about the 4850 and Duke Nukem Forever. :confused:

I've gotta say that this card is not such a big deal. There are too many downsides to having a dual-gpu setup.

The real big news will be when AMD/NV release a brand new GPU.

Well if you want the top single GPU you can go with the 280, and if you want to top card altogether you can go with the 295. Options are good.

But I agree, the next gen is what is exciting. I'm done upgrading for a while though, as my 2nd 280 is supposed to get here today.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

Even the staunchest ATI supporters have dropped this line of debate as its painfully clear that DX10.1 is insignificant, especially given Nvidia DX10 parts support the only implemented DX10.1 feature anyways.
Actually I consider both insignificant, nothing more than marketing tools at this time. 8xMSAA is not a marketing tool when I can run it in 99% of 3D games ever released and it provides tangible benefits over 4xMSAA in real games.

As for nVidia parts, can they run the DX 10.1 paths in Clear Sky and Far Cry 2?

PhysX on the other hand has shown significant gains in the 10-month period since Nvidia acquired Ageia. CUDA PhysX and legacy title support 4-months later. Updated Power Pack 3 months later. Mirror's Edge and Cryostasis gameplay demos recently. We'll see a glimpse of what PhysX can do in games developed with it from the ground-up in the next two months with Mirror's Edge and Cryostasis.
Where? Show me. Please provide a list of PhysX games that meet the following criteria:

1. Are full games released to the public (so no tech demos, synthetic benchmarks, trailers, demos, screen savers, or up-coming titles).
  2. Provide hardware accelerated physics on the GPU.
  3. Enhance the gameplay with significant physics content throughout the entire game (so UT3?s five maps don?t count).
  4. Cannot have the same physics done on the CPU, or provide an exorbitant performance hit for doing so.
I don't think anyone can argue with any credibility that DX10.1 or even 8x over 4x MSAA can result in such stunning visual differences.
No-body?s arguing that at all. What is being argued is that the amount of hardware PhysX titles that meet the four points above is a drop in the ocean compared to 99% of 3D games out there that can benefit from 8xMSAA without any developer effort whatsoever.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Creig
Whatever, Chizow. You've taken this argument WAY off the thread title. Have fun playing your "future" titles today.

Oh wait, you can't.
No you took the discussion in that direction when you offered up that "last card FYI" as if it were proof you were nonpartisan or something. I guess "last card", right after that 3870, 4850, X1800, etc....

As for future titles, first one is only two weeks away, but you can experience PhysX, or lack of today. :) Let us know how it runs on your 8800GT.
Cryostasis Demo

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: nRollo
BFG-

I understand if you can't link to your own site I guess, but if you want to put together some FRAPs videos of a modern game at 4XMSAA and 8X MSAA I might be able to figure out a way to host them for you.
No need - I've already posted links backing my claims. Here?s a summary:

http://episteme.arstechnica.co...002061831#456002061831
http://techreport.com/articles.x/11211/8
http://www.beyond3d.com/content/reviews/3/3
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articl...n-hd4850_19.html#sect0

Note that the B3D one even shows the benefit of 16xQ over 8xQ, though I personally find that mode a bit hit-or-miss depending on the scene content. It?s an odd one, that?s for sure.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Actually I consider both insignificant, nothing more than marketing tools at this time. 8xMSAA is not a marketing tool when I can run it in 99% of 3D games ever released and it provides tangible benefits over 4xMSAA in real games.
MSAA has nothing to do with what you said, you were comparing the relevance of PhysX to DX10.1 when its not even close. DX10.1 is meaningless even in a best case scenario as it literally adds nothing over DX10. PhysX on the other hand is clearly the next big thing for PC gaming.

As for nVidia parts, can they run the DX 10.1 paths in Clear Sky and Far Cry 2?
Nope, no need for DX10.1 path, as Nvidia, Ben and a few tech sites hinted at months ago, Nvidia DX10 parts support the only worthwhile DX10.1 features.

"The Ubisoft team wanted to enhance the anti-aliasing through the reading of the multisampled depth Z-buffers, explained Vincent Greco, Worldwide Production Technical Coordinator at Ubisoft. "This feature was enabled by either using DX10.1 or using a DX10.0 extension supported by Nvidia DirectX 10 GPUs."

Given DX10.1 for ATI parts runs like a pig and still hasn't been fixed, its safe to say Nvidia runs DX10.1 better than ATI does. :)

Where? Show me. Please provide a list of PhysX games that meet the following criteria:

1. Are full games released to the public (so no tech demos, synthetic benchmarks, trailers, demos, screen savers, or up-coming titles).
  2. Provide hardware accelerated physics on the GPU.
  3. Enhance the gameplay with significant physics content throughout the entire game (so UT3?s five maps don?t count).
  4. Cannot have the same physics done on the CPU, or provide an exorbitant performance hit for doing so.
I never claimed they were available now, I simply showed how much faster PhysX adoption was compared to DX10.1. No one ever said we'd have PhysX overnight due to development cycles but I think its pretty clear at this point its going to be a major factor going forward. Epic with UE3.0, GameBryo and the recent announcements by 2K and EA and just today THQ announced they were signing on for PhysX. In 2 weeks we'll get the first PhysX title that satisfies all 4 criteria. One month after that we'll have the second with Cryostasis.

Mirror's Edge Side-By-Side
I'm sure you've seen this already. Its already out on the PS3 and Xbox360...so I'd say its a pretty safe bet its out of tech demo status.....

Cryostasis Downloadable Demo
Can run the demo yourself and see just how painful the experience is without GPU acceleration. Don't need an NV card to download and run it. Launch date is said to be Feb 9th 2009.

No-body?s arguing that at all. What is being argued is that the amount of hardware PhysX titles that meet the four points above is a drop in the ocean compared to 99% of 3D games out there that can benefit from 8xMSAA without any developer effort whatsoever.
Well of course if you're referring to current compatibility rates of course MSAA has the edge, but in terms of overall significance there's no doubt PhysX offers the most benefit. Also, you may want to strike point 4 since AA has always been one of the greatest performance killers, especially beyond 4x.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Can run the demo yourself and see just how painful the experience is without GPU acceleration. Don't need an NV card to download and run it. Launch date is said to be Feb 9th 2009.

I hope Windows 7 allows 2 video drivers to run at the same time...then someone can get a cheap Geforce 8/9 card to do PhysX and run whatever other card for rendering. I think you can do this in XP but not in Vista.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

MSAA has nothing to do with what you said, you were comparing the relevance of PhysX to DX10.1 when its not even close.
Actually they are given they?re nothing more than marketing tools at this time.

DX10.1 is meaningless even in a best case scenario as it literally adds nothing over DX10.
If it's meaningless then why did the devs bother implementing the path? Why are EA and Blizzard (et al) signing up for it?

PhysX on the other hand is clearly the next big thing for PC gaming.
It could well be, or it might well flop. Any inference either way at this time is nothing more than speculation, despite your assertions otherwise.

What about Clear Sky?

I never claimed they were available now, I simply showed how much faster PhysX adoption was compared to DX10.1.
And that is the whole point: they aren?t available now. That?s the point that appears to escape you.

If you?re promoting PhysX on the basis of upcoming titles then you must also do the same for DX 10.1 given EA, Blizzard and others have promised to support it.

In 2 weeks we'll get the first PhysX title that satisfies all 4 criteria. One month after that we'll have the second with Cryostasis.
But neither are released yet.

Mirror's Edge Side-By-Side
I'm sure you've seen this already. Its already out on the PS3 and Xbox360...so I'd say its a pretty safe bet its out of tech demo status.....
So that?s one game you can add to your list. Would you care to finish the list so we can see just how big ?the next big thing? currently is?

That's a demo for a game not even out yet. Again if you?re talking about future titles, you must also consider DX 10.1 in the same manner.

Well of course if you're referring to current compatibility rates of course MSAA has the edge,
The ?edge?? LMAO.

Thousands of titles going back over ten years to GLQuake compared to what, five PhysX games that currently meet all four points?

Also, you may want to strike point 4 since AA has always been one of the greatest performance killers, especially beyond 4x.
Way to totally miss the context of point four. The point was to ensure you didn?t come up with games having an ?advantage? when the CPU is just as capable of rendering identical physics as the GPU, without a large performance hit. Or are you really trying to suggest the CPU could render 8xMSAA with the same viability as a GPU?

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: thilan29

I hope Windows 7 allows 2 video drivers to run at the same time...then someone can get a cheap Geforce 8/9 card to do PhysX and run whatever other card for rendering.
I've heard that will be the case and it'll be great if true, but I still think the best avenue would be for ATI to support PhysX.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
All I gatta say that it's actually a good thing that everyone is fighting because of the GPU Wars we are having. When is the last time we've had a great GPU War like this? Not for a while. In the end, we all benefit from this. I'm just waiting for the next single gpu cards so I can upgrade. I'm not a fan of multiple gpu options.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Actually they are given they?re nothing more than marketing tools at this time.
Ok, so one markets no tangible gain, while the other markets incredible visuals and eye-candy. Are they equal? No, they're not.

If it's meaningless then why did the devs bother implementing the path? Why are EA and Blizzard (et al) signing up for it?
Well the tin foil hat peanut gallery would claim devs like Ubi bother because they're trying to sabotage ATI parts, but that's a good question as DX10.1 offers absolutely nothing over DX10.

It could well be, or it might well flop. Any inference either way at this time is nothing more than speculation, despite your assertions otherwise.
Actually all market indicators show its clearly the next big thing. The only thing holding it back will be cross-platform development and whether or not devs are willing to put in the extra work for just the PC.

What about Clear Sky?
What about it? Its my 1.0 out of the 1.1 (Assassin's Creed being the other 0.1)

And that is the whole point: they aren?t available now. That?s the point that appears to escape you.
No the point doesn't escape me, as I've once again never claimed they were available today. My point is that PhysX has progressed faster than DX10.1 in a shorter amount of time and we'll finally see the results of that development in a few weeks time. Oh, and we'll actually be able to notice the differences, unlike DX10.1.

If you?re promoting PhysX on the basis of upcoming titles then you must also do the same for DX 10.1 given EA, Blizzard and others have promised to support it.
So once again, what exactly are we promoting? Sunken tires? Half-Rocks? IQ anomalies? Unplayable stuttering? There's nothing DX10.1 provides over DX10. The difference between PhysX and no PhysX is extreme.

But neither are released yet.
And in 2 weeks you'll say its only 1 title? And a month after that only 2 titles? Its a foregone conclusion these titles will launch with PhysX and that they provide more tangible benefit with PhysX than the incremental differences provided by DX10, DX10.1 or 8xMSAA.

So that?s one game you can add to your list. Would you care to finish the list so we can see just how big ?the next big thing? currently is?

That's a demo for a game not even out yet. Again if you?re talking about future titles, you must also consider DX 10.1 in the same manner.
I never claimed to have a list, I just listed 2 titles releasing within 6 weeks that satisfy your contrived list. But again, I'm sure in 6 weeks you'll dimiss those 2 titles and demand another list.

The ?edge?? LMAO.

Thousands of titles going back over ten years to GLQuake compared to what, five PhysX games that currently meet all four points?
OK, list a single game where MSAA adds any additional eye-candy besides the removal of jaggies? Even in its most basic form PhysX provides more in the way of IQ and eye-candy than MSAA would in any of those thousands of titles.

Way to totally miss the context of point four. The point was to ensure you didn?t come up with games having an ?advantage? when the CPU is just as capable of rendering identical physics as the GPU, without a large performance hit. Or are you really trying to suggest the CPU could render 8xMSAA with the same viability as a GPU?
No I thought you were referring to the performance hit when PhysX is enabled in UT3 compared to no PhysX at all, since its a point you've brought up before. But again, you're welcome to run the demos and see if your CPU can keep up with the GPU. It can't btw, there's nothing magic about it. If a CPU could manage it, we would've had these effects years ago.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
@chizow: So your argument for PhysX is 'well its better than dx10.1'

Yep I'll give you that.

Still not excited though.