Gtx2080Ti- NVlink improve gaming FPS, support??

mrbrout

Oct 14, 2011
This has been a frustrating topic because I can't find any answers.

The gtx2080Ti is rumored to be coming out and with an Nvlink. I can find all kinds of info how Nvlink works for scaling computational models, cad, math programs etc, but I can find NOTHING on how, or IF it can improve Game performance FPS.
SLI support is effectively dead, which is ironic given the rise of 4K gaming. So my question,

• Does NVLINK have the ability to improve gaming performance, FPS.
  • If yes, how does it achieve it.. does it require app. specific support like SLI did or does it improve independent of the app and thus work for all games to improve performance.
  • If yes, how much % performance increase will it yield (scaleability) in games.
We should note that IF NVLINK MultiGPU does NOT support or improve gaming performance, this would be a big step backwards for those that do 4K gaming on sli supported "older" games like Witcher3, GTAV, Wildlands,DyingLight,Fallout etc etc.. which REQUIRE SLI to achieve 4K@60fps on high settings.
Also, consider this... The two BIGGEST titles coming out in the future- CyberPunk and DyingLight2 both will likely support SLI and require two cards to get 4K@60fps.

Last edited:

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Nobody can give you details on a technology that has no published info on the topic, without being an insider breaking NDA. You're tilting at windmills getting frustrated at this, they literally just finished announcing the new chips so if any info is to come it will shake out between now and when the first 3rd party reviews of the new cards drop

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
In an after show interview on Twitch a Nvidia Rep said it fully supports SLi past (1GB/s), present (2GB/s) and future (100GB/s). Hopefully the massive bandwidth increase is actually used without games needing to be patched.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
I am more interested whether nvlink on gaming cards works the same for pro apps, in other words if i got 2 2080tis and nvlinked them, would i get 22GB vram capacity in octane like i would with quadro (except 32, 48 and 96 gb respectively) or not. That is the million dollar question

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Well, apparently SLI is not dead. NVLink appears to mainly about hugely increased inter GPU bandwidth over traditional means.

In a way, it's another way for Nvidia to increase sales. More than 1 GPU/customer is the way to go for quickly increasing the TAM. If this is Nvidia's reasoning, then expect SLI to be optimized rapidly.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Very highly doubt it. Until devs give a crap about DX12 multi adapter, SLI will continue to be dead in the water. Every passing year devs use more effects that are time aware and use inter frame data which fundamentally breaks SLI at the driver side. It's not a hardware problem so much as a political and economic problem. Something needs to change dramatically to drive DX12 multiadapter usage first.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
I am more interested whether nvlink on gaming cards works the same for pro apps, in other words if i got 2 2080tis and nvlinked them, would i get 22GB vram capacity in octane like i would with quadro (except 32, 48 and 96 gb respectively) or not. That is the million dollar question

Definitely no to pooling capacity. I just posted answer in similar topic, including time stamp links from recent Video posted with Q&A about NVlink.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/i-sold-one-of-my-gtx-1080-ti-cards.2553350/#post-39556856