GTX 980 Ti specifications - Teaser and benchmarks

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 26, 2006
All these prices are frustrating. I got money, AMD/nvidia has video cards, give me a good price and they get money....

Hopefully we will get some good price drops soon.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
As has been mentioned several times in this thread, these cards appear to simply be stop-gap measures till the real node shrinks arrive. I guess having never been spoiled by it I may not know what I'm missing. To me, if 95% of games coming out are "consolized" then why in God's name would I not simply sit on my 980 until the real node shrink comes. For me 4k is just silliness. When I see a card that can run it solo, then, maybe I'll think of running it. In short I think 1440P makes most sense if a person really wants to up fidelity and have the best experience possible. Really don't see it changing in the near future either; however, I would love to be surprised. Personally, I'm happy with 1200P for the foreseeable future.

You are not the market for these cards.

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
The most shocking part is NV convinced the PC gaming market that it can release many high-priced "flagships" in the same generation and sell all of them.

Telsa/GT200 series - GTX280 and 285. One priced at $649, quickly dropped to $499 and the second was just $399.

Fermi - we only got 480 and 580. That's it, both priced at $499. If you got a 480 on day 1, well you have 90% of the flagship performance for the entire 2 years when both 480 and 580 were overclocked. Not a bad deal in hindsight. Today's $500 "flagship" card means diddly squat.

Kepler
$499 680
$999 OG Titan
$649 780/780Ghz edition
$699 780Ti
$999 Titan Black

5 "flagships"! This is too funny.

Maxwell
$549 980
$999 Titan (but now it's just a 100% gaming card with double the VRAM. :hmm:)
$699 (?) 980Ti (but it's now a neutered version much like the 780 was)

^ This 980Ti card would normally be a $349 GTX470/570. Now gamers are saying "I really hope it's only $699, not $750!" LMAO :p

We should probably expect a fully unlocked 980Ti Metal Edition/Black Edition come Q3/Q4 2015 as the last Maxwell hurrah but maybe we'll even see another Titan V2 with higher clocks 1H 2016. NV has truly made it into a marketing art-form to milk the generation for all its worth!

While the gamers are splitting hairs if 980TI is 1-3% within the Titan X or within 5-10%, JHH can't believe it that he doubled the price of a cut-down GTX470/570 successor and can now sell it for $699 all day because there is a "mythetical" marketing beast in the Titan brand, which itself is no longer even a true compute card. This is toooo good!! Tom Peterson and the NV PR/marketing execs are getting massive bonus this gen. :biggrin:

Where does it end? $599 GP204 mid-range and $899 780Ti/980Ti successor, Titan brand moving to $1199-1299 with Pascal? I got 1.5-2 years to buy enough varieties of popcorn to enjoy the show. At least by then the steam library of console ports will have grown and possibly, just possibly we might see more than 3 FreeSync and 3 GSync 4K monitors 32" and higher.

Still, credit needs to be given where its due. After-market cards like MSI Lightning and EVGA Classified 980Tis should be very attractive against the $1K Titan X. At least the GPU market is moving forward at a decent pace. The same cannot be said of the CPU space where 15-17% IPC increase every 2-2.5 years from Intel are the holly grail of "revolutionary" performance increases ;) If AMD or NV released a next gen GPU with only 15% more performance than their 2 year old part, it would have been viewed as a total disaster. The prices for latest GPU tech are high, but if you wait 15-24 months, you can usually get 35-70% more performance (and double in 3 years). In the CPU space, that's wishful thinking! Skylake is shaping up to be a total yawn fest compared to even 980 --> 980Ti/Fiji XT.

Maybe those ppl saying that are paid by nvidia or they didnt been here longer than kepler generation where prices doubles and they dont know we used pay 500USD for "TRUE" flagship.
Another problem is NV didint have any competition at ALL.When they beat 7970 with mid-range gk 104 there is something wrong you know...:hmm: same or even worse with mid-range GM204 alias GTX980 where is AMD competitor?Nowhere already 8-9 month since GTX980 launch.
I am here since 1998(my first pc builded by me) so i know exactly what are you try to say.

Last edited:

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Fiji XT will be dismissed outright due to 4Gb by too many people. Go read the forums like NeoGaf. Legions of 680 or 670 2Gb users who passed on 3gb 7950 or 7970 are now laughing at 4Gb Fiji Xt because of the ram and with no regard for anything else.

I think people are making a way bigger deal about this than it is.

When I buy hardware its based on my own needs not a few post in a forum. How many of those people posting aren't clueless noobs?

The people on this forum only represent a small % of the market.

Most of the market which are novice users think a 660ti with 8GB of Vram is a great card when its too slow to use all that memory.

Secondly if they can get by with 4GB of ram and be efficient that will be good enough for most. Its only the bigger is better crowd that will be crying about lack of Vram. At the end of the day performance matters more than specs.

It reminds me of AMD back in the day when they were giving intel crap for "for not having a real dual core cpu and just gluing the dies together" and at the end of the day it didn't matter only thing people care about is performance not how you get there.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
While the gamers are splitting hairs if 980TI is 1-3% within the Titan X or within 5-10%, JHH can't believe it that he doubled the price of a cut-down GTX470/570 successor and can now sell it for $699 all day because there is a "mythetical" marketing beast in the Titan brand, which itself is no longer even a true compute card. This is toooo good!! Tom Peterson and the NV PR/marketing execs are getting massive bonus this gen. :biggrin:

There is this on one hand, but I think they run the risk of alienating gamers as well.

Between massive price increases that don't match performance gains, the GTX 970's '3.5GB' of vRAM, and poor Kepler support post Maxwell; and I'm just considering tapping out of the whole affair and replacing my gaming PC with a PS4.

Sure, I'm only one person, but I can't imagine that there aren't others who are questioning the value in constantly chasing performance when a number of the hurdles are actually intentionally inflicted on their customers by NVIDIA.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Sure, I'm only one person, but I can't imagine that there aren't others who are questioning the value in constantly chasing performance when a number of the hurdles are actually intentionally inflicted on their customers by NVIDIA.

My 290 has never had anything but slow and constant performance improvements inflicted on it. That, and it paid for itself during the mining era. That, and it now beats the $1000 GK110 Titan.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008

My 290 has never had anything but slow and constant performance improvements inflicted on it. That, and it paid for itself during the mining era. That, and it now beats the $1000 GK110 Titan. I've said it before and I'll say it again the 290 is today's 8800 GT.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
There is this on one hand, but I think they run the risk of alienating gamers as well.

Between massive price increases that don't match performance gains, the GTX 970's '3.5GB' of vRAM, and poor Kepler support post Maxwell; and I'm just considering tapping out of the whole affair and replacing my gaming PC with a PS4.

I'm with you on this, except that I already went ahead and bought a PS4. Truth be told, I don't chase graphical fidelity like I used to. Probably why I'm still chugging along with a 7950 in my gaming PC. That said PC is also being used less and less for gaming these days. Maybe it's just me as I age, but I simply don't care for the drama and headaches that seem to be associated with being a modern PC gamer.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
I think its more like todays 2900xt or mabe the gtx470.

how so? 2900xt was viewed as a failure at launch and never made a dent and 470 was so-so against 5850.

290 at launch reset the landscape with amazing price/performance for $399 competing and sometimes beating $650/$500 GTX 780 and $1000 titan. 290 is still the best value available now and is aging very gracefully.

Unless your only referring to its high temperature/noise due to shoddy ref cooler, Id say its a lot closer to the 8800 GT

Last edited:

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
This should cover most about synthetic benchmarks about GTX 980 Ti
Benches done today. Seems like Nvidia told reviewers not to identify the card with the drivers to avoid detection. Found them anyway.

Enjoy :)

w0EfmfG.jpg

2mafJvK.jpg

8Pt0IbA.jpg

wuFhE2J.jpg

LmYmn95.jpg

uYGwoug.jpg

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
So was the 290

No it wasn't.

The performance was phenomenal for the money unlike 2900xt(lost badly to 8800 GTX and sometimes to 8800 GTS
and 470 (won and lost some vs 5850).

If you didn't want the cooler you waited a few weeks and grabbed and msi or gigabyte aftermarket card and poof no more heat or noise issue.

Or you did like me, and threw cheap ghetto water on them and problem solved.

Last edited:

SimianR

Mar 10, 2011
how so? 2900xt was viewed as a failure at launch and never made a dent and 470 was so-so against 5850.

290 at launch reset the landscape with amazing price/performance for $399 competing and sometimes beating $650/$500 GTX 780 and $1000 titan. 290 is still the best value available now and is aging very gracefully.

Unless your only referring to its high temperature/noise due to shoddy ref cooler, Id say its a lot closer to the 8800 GT

Your right - the problem is that there was a good 4-5 months of not being able to get the 290 for a decent price at launch because of the mining craze. Otherwise I think there would have been a lot more buzz and general awareness of the cards price/performance.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
They are both were hot ,power hungry, loud gpu's.

No it wasn't

I think you missed that part. A better cooler just makes it more quiet from Msi ect ect ect. and you originally said "at launch".

AMd allways comes out with lower priced gpu's cheaper later in the cycle.
Nvidia just lowers there prices on there lower power consumption/quieter/faster gpu's to match the price /performance ratio of the cheaper AMD gpu's .Nothing special there, been going on for a decade..

Anyway back on the gtx980 ti topic please.

Last edited:

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Nvidia just lowers there prices on there lower power consumption/quieter/faster gpu's to match the price /performance ratio of the cheaper AMD gpu's .Nothing special there, been going on for a decade..

they lowered 780 but it was still $100 more so it never matched the price/performance ratio of 290 and the titan of course is a joke in the price/perf department.

always late in the cycle???? really? how about 5870, 7970 pretty sure they were first in their cycle

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
they lowered 780 but it was still $100 more so it never matched the price/performance ratio of 290 and the titan of course is a joke in the price/perf department.

always late in the cycle???? really? how about 5870, 7970 pretty sure they were first in their cycle
The 780 was such a consumer screw job that I'm amazed it's just casually mentioned. People that bought that card when it was just 3 months old got pretty well worked over. Was a great hustle by nvidia.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I wonder what dual Titan X owners will have to say when Triple 980Tis smoke them for a similar price 2.5 months later, and after-market 980Ti SLI offers 95% of the performance for $500-600 less. This time it's far worse than 780Ghz making the Titan obsolete for gaming since 980Ti is barely cut down and to exacerbate the marketing flop of the Titan brand this round, it doesn't even have DP to make it a stand out compute card.

The Titan X already lost 150-170 Euro of market value in 2 months in Europe:
http://www.computerbase.de/2015-05/nvidia-preis-der-geforce-gtx-titan-x-faellt-unter-1.000-euro/

Those who predicted NV's Titan milking strategy with Kepler continuing with Maxwell and consciously waited for 980Ti/Fiji XT will be happy campers. With Gigabyte Windforce 3X and ASUS DCU versions, we should see 1.45Ghz+ overclocks at quiet noise levels without the need for water cooling.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
I wonder what dual Titan X owners will have to say when Triple 980Tis smoke them for a similar price 2.5 months later, and after-market 980Ti SLI offers 95% of the performance for $500-600 less. This time it's far worse than 780Ghz making the Titan obsolete for gaming since 980Ti is barely cut down and to exacerbate the marketing flop of the Titan brand this round, it doesn't even have DP to make it a stand out compute card.

The Titan X already lost 150-170 Euro of market value in 2 months in Europe:
http://www.computerbase.de/2015-05/nvidia-preis-der-geforce-gtx-titan-x-faellt-unter-1.000-euro/

Those who predicted NV's Titan milking strategy with Kepler continuing with Maxwell and consciously waited for 980Ti/Fiji XT will be happy campers. With Gigabyte Windforce 3X and ASUS DCU versions, we should see 1.45Ghz+ overclocks at quiet noise levels without the need to and water cooling.

Heh if it or the 390X offers 30% more than my 980 I am game :biggrin: and to answer your questions the Titan owners don't really care because this time around TitanX will be faster and extra 6GB can come in handy if you want to run MSAA @ 4k.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I find it really funny to watch people complain about price points of high end cards. They will never learn that its not sales that drives prices for video cards, its low demand.

Regardless what you read of tech sites, they simply don't make many high end cards, the purpose is exactly to keep prices high because not a large group buy them vs low/medium end cards. That is why every new release is almost sold out instantly for a couple days.