GTX 970/980 owners thread

Page 39 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

007ELmO

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2005
They are definitely getting better, over here we can order by 6PM and get it the next day.

I think in SF and other areas they have same day shipping.

Tech_Greek

Sep 18, 2011
My 980s don't have a backplate and they don't sag at all.

My reference GTX 980 has a back plate and has zero sag. I could throw it at someone and kill them.

My MSI 970 didn't have a back plate and it sagged so bad I zip tied the corner up on my water cooling tubes to keep it level.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
My 980s don't sag since they hang straight down in my Silverstone case. :p

007ELmO

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2005
You could...throw it at someone...and kill them?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!?

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Lol Amazon is great I once paid for two day and it shipped at 2AM on a Tuesday morning. I got it Wednesday at 8:00pm. Which should have been one day I thought.

I ordered more then once a item off Newegg and with UPS shipping out of Memphis to here,iv'e gotten it with free shipping.Ordered Very early Thursday like 2-3Am which i got my packages on Friday.Less then 230 miles from that warehouse to here.:D

Order early Am Friday morning,guarantee Monday if out of Memphis,rarely does my stuff ship out of California but Newegg using Smartpost is new to me.:'(

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Got my Asus Strix 970 today.:)

Going to say this but i LOVE Maxwell and this card,card is beyond unbelievable.I TRIED and i emphasize on the try to get this thing to heat up and it won't with my old fan curve of 65% at 60cel like on my 770.All it does is come on at 60cel for a second,kick it down to 59cel then a minute later it repeats.:eek: My 770 was hitting upwards of 69-74cel....

Got a curve of 0% till 55cel then it comes on at 50% or 1501rpm where i can't hear it but the damn thing just isn't gonna touch 61cel unless i lower the rpms.:eek: Absolutely incredible.Working on the curve still.:)

No observable coil whine with this,i'm boosting out of the box as high as 1306 but typically hitting i believe 1296.About to hit up the power limit to 120% and see where it goes.Where is a solid place to start a overclock?:D

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Got my Asus Strix 970 today.:)

Going to say this but i LOVE Maxwell and this card,card is beyond unbelievable.I TRIED and i emphasize on the try to get this thing to heat up and it won't with my old fan curve of 65% at 60cel like on my 770.All it does is come on at 60cel for a second,kick it down to 59cel then a minute later it repeats.:eek: My 770 was hitting upwards of 69-74cel....

Got a curve of 0% till 55cel then it comes on at 50% or 1501rpm where i can't hear it but the damn thing just isn't gonna touch 61cel unless i lower the rpms.:eek: Absolutely incredible.Working on the curve still.:)

No observable coil whine with this,i'm boosting out of the box as high as 1306 but typically hitting i believe 1296.About to hit up the power limit to 120% and see where it goes.Where is a solid place to start a overclock?:D

You can try around 1400/7600 for a start and work up from there. I haven't seen many cards that can't do that.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
You can try around 1400/7600 for a start and work up from there. I haven't seen many cards that can't do that.

I'm using MSI afterburner,i got 100 on the clock clock which gpu-z claims i'm at 1214 but i am boosting at 1454 in-game.To high or low?:) Memory i'm keeping at 7600 till i figure out core.37+mv increase along with 120+ power limit.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Try at stock voltage. I can go to 1530 on stock voltage with one card. Using both and I'm limited by temps.

1450 is a nice start, you can probably squeeze more if you really want to. Just be sure to check stability in your games.

netxzero64

May 16, 2009
Good for you if you can go to 1530 at stock voltages. My card has a 76.5 asic but overclocks like shit. Only achieving 1433mhz at stock voltages. So I flashed it and made the voltage go to 1.281v to 1.3v with 1506mhz.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I have noticed more people running their 970s at high overclocks compared to 980s. Is this common or what?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Try at stock voltage. I can go to 1530 on stock voltage with one card. Using both and I'm limited by temps.

1450 is a nice start, you can probably squeeze more if you really want to. Just be sure to check stability in your games.

Are you monitoring the power-consumption or looking for possible throttling of the GPU? The limit is 110%, and the processor is supposed to throttle back a bit when it exceeds maximum power-consumption.

To tell the truth, to show what a dabbler I am in this business, I found a review of the MSI "Gaming" 970, probably at HardOCP. I had the same or better board, so I just ran up my settings to those the reviewer found.

I need a larger increase in the slider than the reviewer to get close to 1,500Mhz. 8,000Mhz for the RAM is easy, or I suppose it has an effect on voltage requirements. I had to push the slider to 170 to get 1,486Mhz with power-consumption at 107 to 108%. I'm wondering if the stability can take a slight downward voltage adjustment. I guess you'd start with the slider at "0" and tick it to the left with some caution. After unlocking the voltage control . . .

I'll have to psych myself up for it. Did I hear someone say they have more trouble achieving a certain clock objective with 2x SLI?

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I have trouble in sli because of my motherboard. Basically the cards are too close together on mATX boards and the top card gets higher temps than normal. So I am temperature limited. I set temp target priority not power target too.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
The more i play with this Asus Strix 970,the more i fall in love with it.:) It's downright the most amazing card iv'e ever owned period.

Took me a while cause MSI Afterburner is stupid,i kept seeing the fan speed jumping all over even in light loads.Took me enabling the tachometer readings in OSD to see the card honestly doesn't rev up fans till 66cel then it simply tops out at 942rpm at that degree no matter the load.:eek:

I went to bed and let Unigine Valley run for 7 hours on 1440p Extreme and it simply refused to break 66cel/942rpm fan and my living room is roasty enough to cook a turkey.Fan curve of 45% or 1262rpm at 50cel and the card refuses to hit over 60cel.

My Zotac 770 was hitting anywhere from 69-74cel with the right ambient temps with the fan pushing 2070rpm.:eek: It wasn't loud but the fact of how the Strix cools better while using half the rpm blows my mind.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I'm in contact with Newegg.ca and they are looking at what they can do concerning the false specs. They asked for the original box with every accessories in it, which I still have, and are looking in this matter. They seemed well aware of this.

Now I don't know if i'll keep it and upgrade later this year or replace it right now and get a new card (980 or 290X)...

kasakka

Mar 16, 2013
I have trouble in sli because of my motherboard. Basically the cards are too close together on mATX boards and the top card gets higher temps than normal. So I am temperature limited. I set temp target priority not power target too.

Try a side fan (on top of the cards) if your case supports it. When I had my GTX 770s this helped prevent them from throttling. With my 970s I haven't had this issue at all.

I have a Gigabyte ATX board that places the cards fairly close together and using non-reference coolers in both cases.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Try a side fan (on top of the cards) if your case supports it. When I had my GTX 770s this helped prevent them from throttling. With my 970s I haven't had this issue at all.

I have a Gigabyte ATX board that places the cards fairly close together and using non-reference coolers in both cases.

Believe me that doesn't work(my case has a 240MM fan blowing on them) on mATX motherboards because the cards are just too close together and the hot air rises up to hit card 1 and it is starved for air a bit. No problem though, performance is fine.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I'm in contact with Newegg.ca and they are looking at what they can do concerning the false specs. They asked for the original box with every accessories in it, which I still have, and are looking in this matter. They seemed well aware of this.

Now I don't know if i'll keep it and upgrade later this year or replace it right now and get a new card (980 or 290X)...

I'm considering getting a cheap, used 290 and waiting for the next round of cards. Might return my 970's, but I'm willing to wait to see if nvidia offers any type of restitution.

netxzero64

May 16, 2009
I have noticed more people running their 970s at high overclocks compared to 980s. Is this common or what?
hmmm, well i am seeing a lot of zotac amp extreme 980s and gigabyte g1 980s that go almost all the time above 1530mhz, others can run stock voltages above 1550mhz like my friend does that's why I envy him so much.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
The reviews and their idle temperatures honestly don't favor cards like my Strix or the MSI Gaming with their 0dba functions.I idle anywhere from 28-31 cel depending on ambient temperatures without that fan running.My Antec GX500 and its side fan keeps this thing cooler then any number any reviewer gives it credit for.To many open bench tests obviously.

Finalized my fan curve,40% or 1087rpm comes on anytime i get to 35cel which can only happen when i open a game.Desktop usage i simply don't touch pass 32cel and closing a game i go back to 0% fan in less then 2 minutes and it stays off.I load anywhere from 62-66 cel depending on game and ambient temp.:thumbsup:

Hope anyone finds this information valuable.I am willing to bet my rpm/curve will work equally as well on the Msi Gaming .:)

Last edited:

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I'll just leave this here (youtube link):

[Redacted]

:D

This doesn't belong in the technical forums.

-Rvenger

Last edited by a moderator:

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I noticed pretty much any of my games that support anything above 8x AA will not support or show any options above 8.Anyone know why?

I'm about to play BC2 for the first time on my 970 and in-game it simply goes to 4x....where it used to to to 32x.I had to force 8x from the control panel.

I believe 970/980 cut support for those modes?

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
They removed support for the coverage sampling modes, and regular MSAA only goes up to 8x. The modes above that all used some combination of MSAA and CS. They can still be used in Nvidia Inspector and work in some games, but many fail to load at all with them enabled. I instead use the sparse grid SSAA modes in old games, which look much better and can easily be handled by the 970/980.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
They removed support for the coverage sampling modes, and regular MSAA only goes up to 8x. The modes above that all used some combination of MSAA and CS. They can still be used in Nvidia Inspector and work in some games, but many fail to load at all with them enabled. I instead use the sparse grid SSAA modes in old games, which look much better and can easily be handled by the 970/980.

Just noticed in the menu the option for MFAA and i guess BC2 supports it.Enabling this would replace the 4x option in the game with MFAA?First time looking into this new form of AA.

Not sure what the story is either but DSR and this game looks horrendous but running my t.vs native res of 1366x768 with 8X MSAA is extremely overkill.I was just playing the WW2 portion of the campaign and i was sitting at 200fps the entire time outside of when the airstreak took place where it dipped to 188fps.:awe:

Well for whatever reason BC2 is only supporting up to 4x MSAA with the 970,any given resolution.Forced 8x in the control panel does not work,even forcing lower then 4x doesn't but adjusting it accordingly between 1-4x in-game has its effects.Guess its time to try MFAA then bust out Inspector lol.

Last edited:

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Figured out MFAA,read up on it on Guru3d.Interesting as 4x MSAA with MFAA enabled is pretty much 8x MSAA IQ wise.I enabled it and in BC2 i got a slight fps lost and it looks better:) I see now why they removed all other options outside of 8x MSAA.Makes sense now.

WOT is another game that getting locked to 8x MSAA drove me crazy,guess forcing MFAA should resolve that.I think SSA works in WOT so i will be using it in there,try it out in BC2 too.

All this stuff is new to me,move one whole generation and you need to pretty much get with the times.Been great knowing you MSAA.:) You will be missed.