GTX 680 hits 2Ghz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Uncorking KELPER - practical guide for beginners said:
During few days of our experience with overclocking EVGA GTX 680 cards with Vince I did some basic modifications which
I can share with fellow overclockers who still remember how to hold soldering iron in hand.
vidmod4.jpg

capmod.jpg

epower_680.jpg

front_epowerm.jpg

Lol, practical guide for beginners...

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
He isn't a friend of anything expensive is more accurate. All he does is LOL in any thread concerning any overclocking or anything above a 560SE or whatever he has. I won't go on anymore about his trolling, flame inciting, thread derailing, or general lack of worthwhile input, lest I receive another infraction for it :eek:

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Must be nice not having to worry about turning your $500+ card into a paper weight!....Quite incredible that they can double the clock speed...Have they managed to double any other chips stock clock speed?

Will Robinson

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2009
He isn't a friend of anything expensive is more accurate. All he does is LOL in any thread concerning any overclocking or anything above a 560SE or whatever he has. I won't go on anymore about his trolling, flame inciting, thread derailing, or general lack of worthwhile input, lest I receive another infraction for it :eek:
Agreed.

@cmdrdredd...yeah I have... it's too annoying for words.:twisted:
Hundreds of posts in such a short time too...ugh.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
Must be nice not having to worry about turning your $500+ card into a paper weight!....Quite incredible that they can double the clock speed...Have they managed to double any other chips stock clock speed?

I think they have with the 580 and the 7970. I've seen 580s at 1.4ghz and I think the lighting 7970 has cracked 1.8Ghz. Some 460s and 6850s have done that too.

Still, mighty impressive though.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
I think they have with the 580 and the 7970. I've seen 580s at 1.4ghz and I think the lighting 7970 has cracked 1.8Ghz. Some 460s and 6850s have done that too.

Still, mighty impressive though.

So, in the end, you think it just comes down to cooling to get those clocks?

pcm81

Mar 11, 2011
LOLOL, consumer vs cutting edge?

Cutting edge is reserved for war machines kid. This is the entertainment industry.

No dude...its called bleeding edge and thats actually wrong.

The reason people do this is because a sponsor gives them hardware or some funds for getting records. It allows the sponsor to post marketing in their ads referring to "highest overclock" "world record score with evga" stuff like that.

I have no interest in world records for something that cannot be used like that daily for hours at a time. That doesnt mean i dont think it's kind of fun to read about.

There are two things that limit the GHz:
1. Heat
2. Current leakage

With a given architecture current leakage can not be controled. It is just a function of potential differential vs. size of the gate.
LN coolong allows to overcome heat generation problems.

Big companies can overclock these cards to the same marks as KingPin can, but there is no reason for them to do it, since guys like KingPin will do it almost for free.

The best attainible overclock on a given architecture is a data point shown the limit set by current leackage. While these Hz are the blood drippng off the cutting edge it is basically just a data point for the performance asymptote for current architecture, when it is not restricted by thermals or power consumption specs.