GTX 680 hits 2Ghz

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
gtx680-classified-oc.jpg

This overclock was done on a system running an Intel Core i7 3960X processor at 5.5GHz and the memory running at 2400MHz with CL10 timings. The entire platform was stable enough to run 3DMark11 with the performance preset and the score was P16472. Not a bad score at all and we bet both NVIDIA and EVGA are very happy to see this overclocking feat accomplished by k|ngp|n. k|ngp|n also teased in his forum that this might not be the max overclock!

EVGA announces the EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Classified. This card is a completely customized design with 14 Power Phases, an OC BIOS Mode, EVGA EVBot Support, 4GB of GDDR5 memory and a redesigned PCB engineered for overclocking.

http://legitreviews.com/news/13463/

Crazy! :biggrin:

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
That Kingpin guy is a true beast. He always gets massive overclocks. If you look at how he does it it's very impressive. He has to do a ton of soldering to get overclocks like this.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Not trying to thread crap but...something about stuff like this makes me say "meh". Especially when someone says "it was stable enough to run 3dmark". If it's not stable enough for 24/7 I don't know what the point is. Might be because I have to pay for my hardware lol.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Is this guy just naturally rich or does he just get sponsored by Nvidia/AMD or what? Can you even "overclock cards" for a living? LOL

pcm81

Mar 11, 2011
Not trying to thread crap but...something about stuff like this makes me say "meh". Especially when someone says "it was stable enough to run 3dmark". If it's not stable enough for 24/7 I don't know what the point is. Might be because I have to pay for my hardware lol.
There is a difference between consumer grade and cutting edge. You are consumer grade, they are cutting edge.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
It's a lot of fun I'm sure. I haven't done it personally, however when I got my first 470 and it got down to like -20F the first time I was in my room freezing my a$$ off with the window open seeing how fast I could make it go. I've since setup my water loop around using cooler areas (with the benefit of not dumping the heat into my room) for the same purpose, this winter I was gaming in SLI at 950MHz with sub 35C load temps.

It doesn't "mean" anything from a gaming standpoint, but it doesn't have to as that isn't the point. If you enjoy benchmarking and getting the most out of your system these are the "pros".

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
That would give him the world record right? The prevoius record was P16259 held by the lightning 7970.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
It's a lot of fun I'm sure. I haven't done it personally, however when I got my first 470 and it got down to like -20F the first time I was in my room freezing my a$$ off with the window open seeing how fast I could make it go. I've since setup my water loop around using cooler areas (with the benefit of not dumping the heat into my room) for the same purpose, this winter I was gaming in SLI at 950MHz with sub 35C load temps.

It doesn't "mean" anything from a gaming standpoint, but it doesn't have to as that isn't the point. If you enjoy benchmarking and getting the most out of your system these are the "pros".
LOL getting the most out of your PC does not mean voiding warranties and prematurely breaking hardware LOL.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
LOL getting the most out of your PC does not mean voiding warranties and prematurely breaking hardware LOL.

Gordon, bro... talk about missing the point. This has nothing to do with how us regular folk "get the most" out of our PC, with overvolting and/or little volt mods and overclocking. What they do is purely for show, and for fun. They don't give a rats ass about warranty or breaking hardware, they're not the Hello Kitty OC club.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
There is a difference between consumer grade and cutting edge. You are consumer grade, they are cutting edge.

LOLOL, consumer vs cutting edge?

Cutting edge is reserved for war machines kid. This is the entertainment industry.

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
A lot of people don't understand what this stuff is all about. That is fine by me, doesn't matter if they ever learn or not. It is not my problem.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Gordon, bro... talk about missing the point. This has nothing to do with how us regular folk "get the most" out of our PC, with overvolting and/or little volt mods and overclocking. What they do is purely for show, and for fun. They don't give a rats ass about warranty or breaking hardware, they're not the Hello Kitty OC club.
So its moot to even brag about it then plus I fully understand about OC LOL stock volts please for me and if I need more power I will pay for more power that runs cool quite and come with a long ass warranty to the tune of three years plus thanx very much LOL 2Ghz LOL.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

No dude...its called bleeding edge and thats actually wrong.

The reason people do this is because a sponsor gives them hardware or some funds for getting records. It allows the sponsor to post marketing in their ads referring to "highest overclock" "world record score with evga" stuff like that.

I have no interest in world records for something that cannot be used like that daily for hours at a time. That doesnt mean i dont think it's kind of fun to read about.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
This isn't cutting edge lol. They're pushing stuff farther than any of us, but any of us can still buy the hardware they use, freely.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
LOLOL, consumer vs cutting edge?

Cutting edge is reserved for war machines kid. This is the entertainment industry.

War machines aint cutting edge. They usually consist of outdated technology that took too long time to pass as a spec.

Last edited:

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
So its moot to even brag about it then plus I fully understand about OC LOL stock volts please for me and if I need more power I will pay for more power that runs cool quite and come with a long ass warranty to the tune of three years plus thanx very much LOL 2Ghz LOL.

What a troll, $50 says if it was an AMD 7970 record you would be all over it....just give it a break mate..

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
What a troll, $50 says if it was an AMD 7970 record you would be all over it....just give it a break mate..

What? lol.

Maybe you should look at his post history before automaticaly branding him a fanboy. and a Random one at that. He doesn't even mention the 7970.

Phishy714

Jun 11, 2012
Wow.. Lots of hate in this thread..

Lets all just shut up and stop arguing about stupid side logic.

These guys have done something no one has been able to do before on this chip. That deserves at least some recognition, and I think this is what this whole post was about. Also, since when have world records been practical?

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
What? lol.

Maybe you should look at his post history before automaticaly branding him a fanboy. and a Random one at that. He doesn't even mention the 7970.

Maybe you should Skurge....I have been watching his posting for the last 3 weeks, and all he does is bag NV......My point was if the record had been AMDs then his whole tone of post would have been different...