GTX 660 vs AMD 7870

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Radeon 7950 is $230 after the cost of the game is deducted.

The idea was to buy the card for $280, sell the game that wasn't wanted for $20, then buy the desired game for $60 as explained by that other guy.

When that comes out to $230 let me know.

Edit: If the OP doesn't want BL2 of course this is all 100% wrong, but hey we've been operating under the assumption he did since the OP. Perhaps it is wrong, who know, he has posted since that's where the topic went and hasn't corrected us yet.

I think we've already answered his question, AMD has nothing like PhysX. FPS aside, Nvidia offers unparalleled IQ improvements in several AAA titles each year, as well as native AO support in just about every DX9 title released.

Last edited:

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009
People why are you even talking to BallaTheFeared? He's clearly a deeply troubled individual, being religious about a company that produces graphics cards is clearly a sign of some unresolved psychological issues.

Let's skip the meta commentary, okay?
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 19, 2009
OP, if you enjoy playing games with Physx, you really have no choice but to go with NV.

But if you do, you need to keep your 460 as a dedicated Physx card because there's not enough performance in these new demanding games to run with high graphics and Physx together.

Balla is right in this thread, but he's also wrong, Sleeping Dogs is one of the best games of late and was in steam's top sales at release.

thiagofmelo10

Aug 13, 2012
I have never owned an AMD video card but thanks to all of you, I will just get MSI 7950 for $274 (AR + shipping).
Physx looks really great in batman, BL2, and Metro.
I guess its the major reason some ppl go with NVidia instead of AMD, really cool stuff.
But performance wise AMD rocks! ty all for the help.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I tried the demo for sleeping dogs. To me, the game stinks and is very clunky. Maybe it's just me or it isn't my type of game. I am more of an FPS player though so that may contribute to my negative experience.
And Silverforce, it would appear Balla "isn't" wrong about the low sales of the game. 200K is very low. Steam top sales at release. What about now especially after people bought the game and gave their online opinions in forums worldwide? That probably was the most contributing factor to the sales slowdown and overall low sales number.

Sleeping dogs is a big meh, and I think if it was a hit, the word would properly spread and sales would be higher.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
If you have played "Saints row the third" this game will be extremely familiar.Thats one of the reason I didn't like it, there were nothing new for me in SD.The graphics and the voice acting are nice though.

Grimshad

Sep 17, 2012
I use http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html to measure this kind of stuff as it is the most unbiased sampling i know of.

I personally have always bought the best performing card no matter the brand. I end up with Nvidia a lot and I have noticed after using both brands that Nvidia cards have a lot less problems, are updated more often, and are generally more compatible. The only upside AMD cards had before was Eyefinity, which recently just changed as Nvidia now has their own similar suite.

Overall right now I would go with the Nvidia card as their built in handling oh physics and audio as well as current performance ratings just makes them better at this time.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Right it's a $50 game, like Dirt 3 is :rolleyes:

And BL2 is a $60 game like you have been advertising :rolleyes: Others have been selling BL2 on the forums for ~$30 and Greenman Gaming has been selling it for $36-$40. Go troll somewhere else.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
I tried the demo for sleeping dogs. To me, the game stinks and is very clunky.

This is another opinion. I think the game is great, and also others have been raving about how good it is... to the point where I bought the game.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
I use http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html to measure this kind of stuff as it is the most unbiased sampling i know of.

I personally have always bought the best performing card no matter the brand. I end up with Nvidia a lot and I have noticed after using both brands that Nvidia cards have a lot less problems, are updated more often, and are generally more compatible. The only upside AMD cards had before was Eyefinity, which recently just changed as Nvidia now has their own similar suite.

Overall right now I would go with the Nvidia card as their built in handling oh physics and audio as well as current performance ratings just makes them better at this time.

Clicked on that link. So, the 580 not only out performs the 7950 and 7970, but also outperforms the 690? What am I missing?

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
And BL2 is a $60 game like you have been advertising :rolleyes: Others have been selling BL2 on the forums for ~$30 and Greenman Gaming has been selling it for $36-$40. Go troll somewhere else.

It's $40 in a 4 pack, $48 on GMG single.

But you're right because I wasn't aware of the mini sale on GMG I was obviously trolling not wrong, trolling.

It makes perfect sense. :colbert:

Just so you know when I was saying it wasn't a $50 game I didn't mean actual price, I was speaking towards subjective worth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjective_theory_of_value

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Is the deal from Green Man gaming still going on? OP, take a look, if it's still running you can buy BL2 for $36 dollars. That's what I did for my GF and a bunch of friends on another forum. Came out cheaper than doing the 4-paks from Steam.

Since you got two weeks to buy the card, you can atleast secure a cheap copy of BL2 NOW before it's too late. Hopefully the deal is still running.

EDIT: Loaded up GMG on my phone and it seems the promo code is still up, not sure if they still accept it towards BL2:

$48 + 20% Off Voucher == ~$38

Jump on it if it is still going, screw paying $60 for PC games! Them console prices!

Last edited:

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I think he already settled on the 7950 which is a pretty good deal right now railven.

I wasn't getting involved in the fanboy wars, just saying since people were tossing concern for his budget around yet no one mentioned (well at the time when I read, now reloading the page glad people mentioned it :D) that the game was going on sale like crazy.

Whatever card he picks, that his choice - but saving money is something we should all be encouraging :)

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
I wasn't getting involved in the fanboy wars, just saying since people were tossing concern for his budget around yet no one mentioned (well at the time when I read, now reloading the page glad people mentioned it :D) that the game was going on sale like crazy.

Whatever card he picks, that his choice - but saving money is something we should all be encouraging :)

I didn't really see it as a fanboy war, I think they're all pretty awful but if a chose is to be made options should be present instead of the only AMD mantra that is occurring right now because AMD has been forced to drop pricing due to market share issues.

The 660 Ti with a game you wanted offered a better value than the 7870 with a game you didn't want, the 7950 at $280 is a compelling option if you're looking to spend that much - at least that was my reasoning, right or wrong it had nothing to do with fanfare.

Last edited:

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I didn't really see it as a fanboy war, I think they're all pretty awful but if a chose is to be made options should be present instead of the only AMD mantra that is occurring right now because AMD has been forced to drop pricing due to market share issues.

The 660 Ti with a game you wanted offered a better value than the 7870 with a game you didn't want, the 7950 at $280 is a compelling option if you're looking to spend that much - at least that was my reasoning, right or wrong it had nothing to do with fanfare.

What AMD only mantra? You've been reading ABT too much. Sure, this place has pro-one side, but at the same time threads go ape-shiz becaure the Pro-otherside speak up.

Sometimes I don't even think half the people suggesting stuff have zero concern on the person asking and more so a "sale" for their respective team.

But whatever, not like this place is a tech forum haha ;)

EDIT: Sorry, but since you didn't know about the GMG deal, it can be a wash. You were using $60 for your price base, it was cheaper. Sell Sleeping Dogs even for $20, get BL2 $20 cheaper then your estimate and you've already removed $40 from the final price.

If I were him, I'd keep the 460 and use it for offloading, at least then he gets the perf AND physX

The Alias

Aug 22, 2012
7950 isn't a better deal at $320 vs the $300 670, we both know that ;)

There is no $260 7950 option for the OP, stop filling people with false hope.

but there's a 7950 for "$230" that out performs it when both are oc'ed so still 7950=better value

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
HIS HD 7950 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card with FREE Sleeping Dogs, Nexuiz, Dirt Showdown & CODMW2 PC Games This Week Only Offer
£224.99

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003

Yes, HD7950 is 1 class above GTX660Ti and there is no GTX670 for $300 CDN. HD7950 @ 1100mhz > GTX680/7970. The value proposition for $274 CDN + Sleeping Dogs cannot be beat right now.

HD7950 @ 1125-1150mhz = GTX470 SLI and makes $ every day bitcoin mining while using 250W+ less power with no SLI scaling issues. That's a win at $274. Also, GTX470 SLI 1.28GB is basically going to be worthless for modern games with MSAA and texture mods very soon. On the NV side you need to spend $410 CDN on an after-market 670 to match this level of performance on Newegg.ca. Not sure how that makes 7950 awful.

Keep dreaming about a $199 GTX700 card with 70% overclocking headroom that will match a $500 GTX780 in 2013. GTX470 is an outlier since when 6950/570/580 came, 470 plummeted in value since no one wanted them. If you wait 12 more months from now, I am sure you can find a used GTX670 for $200 as well.

I have never owned an AMD video card but thanks to all of you, I will just get MSI 7950 for $274 (AR + shipping).
Physx looks really great in batman, BL2, and Metro.
I guess its the major reason some ppl go with NVidia instead of AMD, really cool stuff.
But performance wise AMD rocks! ty all for the help.

Don't let the fanboism and fanaticism in this thread stand between the actual performance and facts. For $274 CDN at 1050mhz or so = GTX680 on average.

So this is the summary:

- HD7950 TF3 @ 1050mhz = GTX680 or HD7950 TF3 7950 @ 1125mhz > HD7970 GE/ GTX680 for $274 CDN on average in 100s of games

vs.

- GTX660Ti that will give you PhysX in 1-2 games a year?

vs.

- The cheapest after-market GTX670 on Newegg.ca is $410 CDN. Ridiculously overpriced!

What happens in all the games that don't have PhysX? HD7950 OC = GTX680/HD7970GE for $274. Can't beat that with anything right now unless you can get a GTX670 for $275-300 CDN.
Not to mention you can make $ with your 7950 every day using bitcoin mining. See Post #37 in this thread.

The MSI TF3 7950 owner's thread will help you get maximum value out of your card.

Last edited:

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
What happens in all the games that don't have PhysX?

The same thing that happened to the 580, the point that which fps got bad enough on a lower end card like a 570 even though there was a 10-15% performance difference, they were just as bad on the 580.

Anyone pretending the difference between a 660Ti and a 7950 is going to matter down the road is delusional. Once the 660Ti is outdated so too will the 7950.

That said the 7950 at that price is a really good deal, however it is no by any means the only option available as you so like to pretend it is.

If you actually have the capability to run PhysX it makes a huge difference in the titles where it is support, a far greater impact than any imagined fps benefit can provide.

The only reason the 660Ti was recommend was because of the game bundle, don't get things twisted RS.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Sucks to be American, because that 7950 deal at newegg.ca is ridiculous. $260, without having to do a MIR, for one of the best coolers on an overclocked 7950 is nuts. :cool: