GTX 1080 custom (non-Founders Edition) cards

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
We may need to wait for a MSI Lightning type model with more voltage control, beefed power delivery and great cooling to see those 2.1ghz+ consistent boosts. That may be a few months...

Perhaps we have to, but i was under impression this was already the card capable of pushing the clocks past FE...it already has 10 phases, more than decent cooling and was supposed to have custom vBIOS - if i understood that correctly. All the needed ingredients were supposed to be already there.

If i had to wait for properly OCeable model few more months, i may as well wait for big pascal.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I don't see where they let the fans loose to see what the max OC might be? Looks like they left them at 60%?

It's an apples to apples comparison....

Unless you run your fan at MAX speed all the time who cares? If that's the case, no one should have complained about the R9 290 reference cooler.

60% is more than reasonable.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Perhaps we have to, but i was under impression this was already the card capable of pushing the clocks past FE...it already has 10 phases, more than decent cooling and was supposed to have custom vBIOS - if i understood that correctly. All the needed ingredients were supposed to be already there.

If i had to wait for properly OCeable model few more months, i may as well wait for big pascal.

Then you wait a few more months (again) for the good cards. This is what we have seen over and over again. The BEST cards are not out on launch...good ones certainly are, but the best don't arrive day 1. You have to be a little patient.

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Anyone here have information on EVGA Hydro Copper 1080s? I have heard rumours that EVGA is NOT going with EK blocks and instead is going with watercool heatkiller blocks, and this could be interesting. I'm ready to trigger the purchase of so many things and news on when these cards would come out would be really interesting...

Raising

Mar 12, 2016
After much indecision I ended up selling a 980ti for 460€ (I can get at least a 1070 for cheaper price soon)

Now.. get rid of the other one for the same price and use a HD5850 meanwhile or keep it for a month or two while the new 1070s/1080s/Polaris chips appear ?

Last edited:

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Anyone here have information on EVGA Hydro Copper 1080s? I have heard rumours that EVGA is NOT going with EK blocks and instead is going with watercool heatkiller blocks, and this could be interesting. I'm ready to trigger the purchase of so many things and news on when these cards would come out would be really interesting...

Swiftech might also be building the HydroCopper water block. I believe they built the waterblock for my GTX 780 Classified.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004

No info, but the cooler looks almost identical to the EK cooler on the current 980 Ti hydro copper.

gtx_hydro_copper.png

980 Ti:
06G-P4-4999-KR_XL_4.jpg

============

edit/update (6/8/2016): not an EK block after all. http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2485798

...also, this image for the GTX 1080 hydro copper block (links directly to evga.com) is different now then when I first posted this last week. This is what is used to look like:
EVGA-GTX-1080-HYDROCOPPER_zps934tgj71.jpg

Last edited:

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
No info, but the cooler looks almost identical to the EK cooler on the current 980 Ti hydro copper.

gtx_hydro_copper.png

980 Ti:
06G-P4-4999-KR_XL_4.jpg

Which children do I boil alive for that GTX 1080 Hydro Copper?
I can't believe people like the FE look with things like this coming.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Which children do I boil alive for that GTX 1080 Hydro Copper?
I can't believe people like the FE look with things like this coming.

I think people rarely sit and stare at their graphics cards.
If they are, they're doing it wrong. :)

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016

They'll be checking on them when they are overheating though :\.

The point he was trying to make was, why buy FE over the custom coolers which are not only better and won't throttle, but cheaper.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
They'll be checking on them when they are overheating though :\.

The point he was trying to make was, why buy FE over the custom coolers which are not only better and won't throttle, but cheaper.

And that that card looks good. I mean look at it...that's what you want to pay extra for when you pay a premium baby.

Edit: I would definitely stare at that card for a good couple of minutes before putting it in my case. Just like the Fury X, it feels like a lot of work went into it. I'd definitely admire the craftsmanship/design for a bit.

Last edited:

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Aesthetically, the best looking card of the lot IMO currently is Evga Hybrid. All those Strix, Zotac AMP, etc. coolers look hideous as always. Not that it really matters.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
^^ This.

I plugged in my GTX1080. And next time I will see it will be in 2 years or more, unless something dies.

So you don't have a case with side window to admire your expensive graphics card every 15 mins while gaming? You're doing it wrong.:D

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
I'm still extremely underwhelmed by the factory OC speeds that have been announced so far... No one bothers with memory (even though that should produce less heat than core), and in general everyone is extremely careful. They don't mind throwing on additional power connectors and power phases, but no significant OC that you couldn't get from the most basic design anyway.

http://videocardz.com/60496/custom-geforce-gtx-1080-roundup

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
Most companies don't push extreme overclocks as it's difficult to find a large supply of them that will do it. With supply being so limited and the demand being so high for pascal right now I doubt we will see anything that would be considered a "golden" chip guaranteed from a retailer.

It's usually the lottery game when it comes to silicone anyway. I'm sure there will be people with FE cards under LN2 that hit 2.5ghz while there are people with aib's that hit 2.3ghz under LN2. It's literally just luck of the draw sometimes. We have seen this with cpus and gpus for years.

The wifey got unlucky and got a 980 asus strix that couldn't even do 1500 core clocks 24/7 stable. Every card/chip is gonna be different when it comes to max clocks. I never expect vendors to push the envelope on overclocking as they don't want to deal with to many RMA's or cherry picking chips to do have the highest clocks. Especially when it needs to hold it reliably 24/7 without throttling.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Suspect it also reflects the market positioning/technical ability of the FE card. For a change, and contrary to many reference designs, the FE is not a terrible card. It also of course really isn't cheap!

The really basic designs are (I presume) the AIB blowers. No idea if anyone ever reviews those :)

The dual fan AIB cards at ~50 pounds under FE prices are I guess the sane baseline. Actually quite good reason for those cards to not go crazy with clocks - the 1080 is a small/low enough TDP chip at heart that a fair few people buying it will want roughly reference power draws/clocks. Also ideally very quiet coolers.

There are some water cooled things due too of course, maybe they'll ramp clock speeds on those.

Pushing the memory speeds might be rather risky with this early GDDR5X production?

iiiankiii

Apr 4, 2008

Hey! That's what I do!! LOL. Games nowadays are soo underwhelming, that's what I'm left doing. The last game I really enjoy was on a freakin ps3 (The Last of Us). Nowadays, I buy GPUs because I buy GPUs. LOL.

HannooFX

Jun 6, 2016
Hey! That's what I do!! LOL. Games nowadays are soo underwhelming, that's what I'm left doing. The last game I really enjoy was on a freakin ps3 (The Last of Us). Nowadays, I buy GPUs because I buy GPUs. LOL.

I thought I was the only one!:eek:

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010

Thats why its awesome i can use them for work, so i can justify the purchase to certain extent...not the mention they actually make me money. Even if its usually just few hundred bucks here and there, enough to buy those cards at best.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Then you wait a few more months (again) for the good cards. This is what we have seen over and over again. The BEST cards are not out on launch...good ones certainly are, but the best don't arrive day 1. You have to be a little patient.

That's fair and I agree, but then I want NV to stop lying about TDP. Right now the way NV uses TDP to mean power usage is pure marketing and is highly misleading to the consumers. Their reference 1070 used 161W at Guru3D and 186W for MSI Gaming 1070.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1070_gaming_x_review,8.html

The TDP marketing BS needs to be called out when recommending AIB 1070/1080 cards.

To recap:
- $70/100 premiums for reference cards with garbage blowers that require custom fan curve and PowerTune to not throttle. The consequence is increased power usage over marketing TDP and higher noise levels.
- misleading marketing TDP that's broadly applied across the entire 1070/1080 stack, when in the real world it's 100% falsehood
- 2Ghz 1080 uses 220W or just 18W less than the 7970Ghz that people made fun of
- 1070 is barely beating Titan X but 670 beat 580 by 20% stock! Aka marketing rebrand of 660Ti to a 1070, resulting in one of the worst x70 cards in a decade
- comparing 1070 to 970 and 1080 to 980, then cross-comparing 560 to 670 and 560Ti to 680 shows this is one of the weakest node shrinks ever.
- Rushed paper launch with hardly any AIB or any stock cards to buy

Looking back, this is one of the worst launches in years for NV but they are being forgiven because NV...

Last edited:

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Guys, I don't think Russian likes these cards... :awe:

I will still recommend 1070 and 1070 SLI until the competition has anything worthwhile for 1080 144Hz/1440p/4K. At the same time I will call it how I see it, just like I called AMD dropping the ball and giving up the entire $350+ market segment to NV for 5-6 months.

Ares202

Jun 3, 2007
Looking back, this is one of the worst launched in years for NV but they are being forgive because NV...

But you agree they have only done this because AMD has not been competing? Look what happened when Nvidia released the gtx 280 at $699? then it was down to $449 or something weeks later after the HD 4870 launched...

We as consumers need VEGA to be good. Nvidia is just doing what any company would do IMO.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
But you agree they have only done this because AMD has not been competing? Look what happened when Nvidia released the gtx 280 at $699? then it was down to $449 or something weeks later after the HD 4870 launched...

We as consumers need VEGA
to be good. Nvidia is just doing what any company would do IMO.

We as consumers donz only need Vega to be good, we need it now, and not just Polaris in almost a month. For some to be option, for other the mean to force Nvidia to drop their prices of 1080/1070.