Gripe: SUV driver.

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
I was driving down a road today and came across a blocked off interesection where an accident had just occured (not real serious).

The SUV (a Pathfinder) in front of me refused to veer to the right up over the low curb...across the intersecting sidewalks...and onto the crossing road since we couldn't take a normal right turn due to the accident. We also couldn't do a u-turn since it was a long one-way street. No big deal really. The two cars in front of the SUV took a right across the curb/sidewalk. And so did I (eventually)...but not the SUV driver...who just sat there.

Just a gripe.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
D@mned SUV drivers.

Yesterday, I got cut off by a SUV bigger than mine.

*&%^*&$#@

ChrichtonsGirl

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2000
I really hate being anywhere on the road with an SUV. I drive a Honda Accord, and I'll be damned if I can even see around the stupid things. It makes my driving worse because you can't see around them, can't see past them at corners, and sorry, but nine times out of ten around here, they are driven by fat, middle-aged women who don't know how to handle such a big vehicle anyway. They have the damn seat pulled so far forward their noses are practically smashed against the windshield so their stubby little legs can reach the pedals.

God forbid they actually know how to use things like the turn signal and brake at the same time.

searcher

Oct 14, 1999
"...and I'll be damned if I can even see around the stupid things."

Which is exactly why we buy them, so we can see. With a Honda Accord I'll bet there ain't much you can see around so don't be selectively blamin' just the SUV's. :)

Michael

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999
Assholes who just took a class or two on how to drive should not be allowed to drive vehicles with the width of medium-sized tractor-trailer without further instruction and testing. :|

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
What scares me is people who know they suck at driving (ie, soccer moms) and so to compensate buy larger and larger vehicles (ie, lincoln navigator). This means that when an accident does occur it is more likely to be fatal (ie, I die).

BIb

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ever notice which vehicles crawl over curbs and speed bumps the slowest? Ever notice who creeps down the roads that are slightly rutted with a few pot holes? It's the damn 3/4 ton pickups and SUVs large and small. What a joke! Are these things as candy ass as their owners?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ornery

I'd do that too if I spent that kind of cash on a friggin' utility vehicle. What the hell is up with truck prices? I've been thinking of getting one lately, to actually use as a utility vehicle but the damn things are way out of my price range. A truck that's going to haul rocks, dirt, and other assorted crap should not cost the same as an entry level luxury car. :|

Wingnut

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Well guys...just like Harley Davidsons, SUV's and trucks have turned into a sickening yuppy fad but I do agree, there's like a competition out there to see which yuppy would kill which yuppy in the event of an accident, or better yet, in a soccer mom road rage match!

It is nothing but image that motivates these people into buying such beastly contraptions like Navigators but, for some reason these are the people that are mostly pissed off on the streets all the time, the problem?.....They're pissed off because they actually now have to concentrate and pay attention to their driving technique...something they once could slack on in their tight and precise driving BMW's and Saabs! Just a thought...:)

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ooh, don't tell me that BoberFett. I had the bright idea of getting my son a 1/2 ton pickup for his first "car". Up to now I thought it would be the practical way to go. Safe, easy and cheap to work on. Good resale value and we could haul stuff to boot!

I better check the local used truck prices before I get my hopes up...

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
yeah, you gotta buy a pickup from like 1957 if you want some real hauling ability without any frills and fixability.

i think the Lincoln Navigator signifies everything bad about SUV's. i mean, at least the fords and chevies have a long line of reasonably well built 4wd trucks to use as a basis. but LINCOLN?!?! come on, they make 4 ton boats for old people to cruise around in at 25 mph. they should stick to that.

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Triumph, the Navigator is essentially the same vehicle as an Expedition with more "bells and whistles".

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Sweet ride, Ornery. One of my bud's had that same car, but in baby blue with a white vinyl top and baby blue leather interior. Can you say pimpmobile? :p

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
that's a sweet boat ornery!

as for the Lincoln, yeah I know it's based on the Expedition. but still, it's a LINCOLN. it just shows that people are buying SUV's for all the wrong reasons.

kduncan5

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2000
Hey Wingnut, I agree with ya. But I have just one question: What driving technique??? Seems to me that most SUV drivers abandoned their driving technique with the purchase of the d*mned SUV.;) -kd5-

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hey, I got a chuckle out of it too, jadinolf! :)

And thanks, but that once pristine, well cared for cruiser has become a daily driver. I doubt I've washed it twice in the last five years. Just not into cars anymore. I do appreciate the effort that goes into a nice restoration, though. And I admire a great design, new or old, but I just put enough into mine to keep em rolling. That Lincoln is going to look like Swiss cheese by the time it's junked. :(

Anybody

Dec 16, 1999
Ok ok..I just bought a 96 Chevy Blazer..today...40k miles... 12k price tag.. I was looking for a Dodge Dakota but 1, I really wanted automatic.... and 2, My wife really wanted extended cab. Those two options put the trucks about 3k out of the price range I wanted to pay.

If you don't mind driving a stick and dont need an extended cab...you can pick up a 98 dakota with about 34k miles for 10-11k (and thats 6 cyl with 2 wheel drive).

And they are such pretty trucks. :)

Wingnut

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
kduncan,

What I actually meant is that you can't exactly drive with your thumb on the bottom of the wheel while doing 80 on the highway in one of those tanks! And I think they miss that about their cars but, you know they gotta keep up that image!

BTW...While we're talking about Navigators...does anyone see any resemblence to the rear end of the Grizwald's station wagon?
Every time I'm driving behind one all I can think of is that song, Holiday Road.