"Grim" news for Republicans

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PepePeru

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
It is grim but this is the best thing to happen to them. It slaps them in the face to figure it out and any blame for the govt fucking up will fall squarely on those in power(democrats).

In 2010 and 2012 if the Demcrats fuck this up they will have nobody to blame but themselves and I expect the American people to hold them accountable. Like they have for so many generations.

it took 28 years before America realized how bad the Republicans fucked up this country.

Don't hold your breath for 2010 or 2012.

Wait, never mind, please go right ahead.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Originally posted by: techs
Originally posted by: loki8481
the grimmest news is probably that the last two moderate, new england republicans got shown the door thanks to extremist Republican policies that made it impossible for a moderate Republican to win.
Fixed.

Yep. Kinda like driving an obnoxious full-custom hummer to an eco-fest... You're tagged as an idiot before you can unbuckle the seatbelt...

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Originally posted by: Bitek
The R's are fucked for a while. Barring a huge D disaster, the Dems will control the house for perhaps decades. The Senate will be firm for a while, and all the racist, xenophobic paranoid lamenting the Palineque sentiments has provoked a huge backlash in all the upcoming voter generations and minority blocks.
Who is going to unfuck them from this corner? Palin in 2012? No she's a sign of the problem. A cancer on the R's as David Brooks would say.

The R party will burn itself down in the crucible of extremism and ideological purity, and become less and less relevant. Eventually there will be a transformational figure to turn it around, but the current trajectory does not bode well for many many years.

Dont be to optimistic. The people of the US didnt give the Dems a blank check to go do whatever far left thing they want. If Obama doesnt follow through with his message of "change in Washington" doing away with partisan politics, etc. And tries to push every bit of legislation the far left wants, the Dems will be out of power just as quick as the regained their power.

This country is comprised of mostly moderates. The Dem majority is built on moderates. What has essentially happened over the past 4 years was the moderate republicans got replaced with moderate democrats.

If Obama the President does the same thing as Obama the Senator, Im not that certain he will be re-elected in 2012.

Exactly. The Democrats would do well to remember what happened to the Republicans over the last 4 years, and why. I remember after the 2004 elections when Republicans were convincing themselves that the country was moving wildly to the right, and that everyone really was becoming conservative. It's understandable that they wanted to spin the election as much as they could, but then they actually tried to run the government as if their hype was true...and I think that hurt them a lot in the long run. Democrats should take care not to do the same thing.

Oct 30, 2004
Dont be to optimistic. The people of the US didnt give the Dems a blank check to go do whatever far left thing they want. If Obama doesnt follow through with his message of "change in Washington" doing away with partisan politics, etc. And tries to push every bit of legislation the far left wants, the Dems will be out of power just as quick as the regained their power.

I agree. For that matter--does anyone think that the nation's economy will improve noticeably under an Obama Administration (not that it would do any better under a McCain Administration)? It's not as though this nation's fundamental economic problems are going to go anywhere nor that he really plans to address them--foreign outsourcing, displacement of Americans by H-1B and L-1 visas, and mass immigration. I don't see any reason to believe that our economy won't continue to deteriorate along with the ranks of the middle class.

What happens in four years if the nation's economic situation hasn't improved or has worsened?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: FuzzyBee
Originally posted by: Genx87
It is grim but this is the best thing to happen to them. It slaps them in the face to figure it out and any blame for the govt fucking up will fall squarely on those in power(democrats).

In 2010 and 2012 if the Demcrats fuck this up they will have nobody to blame but themselves and I expect the American people to hold them accountable. Like they have for so many generations.

C'mon - you know everything bad over the next dozen years will be GWB's fault.

I think that excuse may get the democrats through 2010. After that it is like the terrorist platform of the republicans. It wont work on the avg voter.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

I agree. For that matter--does anyone think that the nation's economy will improve noticeably under an Obama Administration (not that it would do any better under a McCain Administration)? It's not as though this nation's fundamental economic problems are going to go anywhere nor that he really plans to address them--foreign outsourcing, displacement of Americans by H-1B and L-1 visas, and mass immigration. I don't see any reason to believe that our economy won't continue to deteriorate along with the ranks of the middle class.

Don't forget massive deficit spending. That's going to continue, and maybe even increase under Obama.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Mursilis

Don't forget massive deficit spending. That's going to continue, and maybe even increase under Obama.

God I love the Republican crystal ball that always comes out at times like this. It hasn't even been 24 hours since Obama was elected, it's months before he actually becomes President, and already you're complaining about things that you think will happen.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Rainsford

God I love the Republican crystal ball that always comes out at times like this. It hasn't even been 24 hours since Obama was elected, it's months before he actually becomes President, and already you're complaining about things that you think will happen.

Little do they know that Al Queda is going to blow up the Moon sending Earth's orbit into a tizzy making all their prognostications seem like childsplay!!!

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Shhh. The big secret no one wants you to know is Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid won their leadership positions because they were the candidates of the moderate Democrats.
Everyone seems to think they were chosen for their far left policies, but those in the know are aware their congressional base is the moderates of their party.

Zedtom

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
The Republicans that are older may cling to the ideals of the Reagan era, but the younger voters within the party will be influenced by the neoconservative and fundamentalist factions. They may want to expand the big tent to attract minorities, but closeted racism might divide the party. If the divisiveness that was encouraged during the Bush2 years is turned inwards, the party will fracture and you might see a new political party with Sarah Palin and her followers starting fresh.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

I didn't vote for McCain, but don't let the facts get in your way. And since budget deficits have been the predominant pattern over the last 40+ years, it doesn't take a crystal ball to see they'll probably continue, especially given the economy.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Zedtom
The Republicans that are older may cling to the ideals of the Reagan era, but the younger voters within the party will be influenced by the neoconservative and fundamentalist factions. They may want to expand the big tent to attract minorities, but closeted racism might divide the party. If the divisiveness that was encouraged during the Bush2 years is turned inwards, the party will fracture and you might see a new political party with Sarah Palin and her followers starting fresh.

Frozen Zombie Seal Clubbing Bible Thumping Republikrats coming to a theater near you soon! :shocked:

This was the first thing that popped into my mind when I read your comment. Thanks for the screen play inspiration! :D

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I didn't vote for McCain, but don't let the facts get in your way. And since budget deficits have been the predominant pattern over the last 40+ years, it doesn't take a crystal ball to see they'll probably continue, especially given the economy.

except under Clinton.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: sandorski

except under Clinton.

Not when he had a Democratic Congress.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
I don't think the 'grim' news was in the Presidential election, but in the local and state races.

The Presidency goes back and forth every 4-8 years. But the local people tend to hold power longer. The seats we lost in the North East today may never come back, and that is the scary thing.

No matter how bad tonight ends though we are in better shape than we were in 1974. And we should remember that four bad years under Carter ushered in an amazing period of Republican control of the White House. 20 of the last 28 years, not a bad run.

Spoken like someone who binged on cocaine and strippers for a couple of decades and then finally went broke. I won't develop the analogy further - the history and current problems speak for themselves.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

I can see a Sarah Palin sacrificial candidacy in 2012 to try and gain some support amongst women which are so overwhelmingly Democratic.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Shhh. The big secret no one wants you to know is Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid won their leadership positions because they were the candidates of the moderate Democrats.
Everyone seems to think they were chosen for their far left policies, but those in the know are aware their congressional base is the moderates of their party.

Which is also why Obama won. Obama didn't appeal to the hardcore left. No Obama made his way to the White House by appealing to the moderates in the nation. No doubt he'll have to govern from the center in order to get re-elected.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

I can see a Sarah Palin sacrificial candidacy in 2012 to try and gain some support amongst women which are so overwhelmingly Democratic.

Sarah Palin will be to the Dems like Hillary was to the GOP for the past decade-red meat to draw in contributions. She will do a lot more good for the Dems than she ever will for the GOP. Q: When was the last time an unsuccesful VP candidate subsequently won the White House in modern times? A: never, and most of them were pathethic jokes in subsequent efforts.