Great, we just received a Tornado Warning

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Outside of the area known as tornado alley actual tornadoes are rare but can happen anywhere. Heck on the open sea during squally weather we see spouts fairly frequently.

Define "rare" though. We usually have a couple a year in western NY. Closest one has gotten to my house since we've lived here is about 2 miles. I've never seen a tornado, but have always wanted to see one.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Define "rare" though. We usually have a couple a year in western NY. Closest one has gotten to my house since we've lived here is about 2 miles. I've never seen a tornado, but have always wanted to see one.

I don't have actual statistics but I think you answered your own question! ;)

Of course there are people living in the heart of tornado alley that have never seen one either.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
What time is the warning supposed to expire?

they said 2 - 4 hrs.

I live in Ontario's tornado alley. This area gets hit numerous times a year. There have been some very bad ones over the years, like the one that hit Woodstock back in 1979:

Devastating tornado

On August 7, 1979, the Woodstock area was hit by three tornadoes, two of which registered at least F4 on the Fujita Scale [4]. On the west side of town along Ingersoll Road, a Dominion Food Store was heavily damaged while the tornadoes skipped over every other home and business. Dickson's Florist was wiped out and the Fry home was moved on its foundation. Father Grondziel of the new Polish Roman Catholic Church, next to the Dominion Food Store, had just stepped into the washroom when one of the tornadoes passed by and took off the roof of the church and everything in the room he had just been in. No one on the street was injured but the cleanup took many weeks. On the south side, the buildings of the Maranatha Christian Reformed Church and the John Knox Christian School were destroyed, and the only fatality occurred when a vehicle on Highway 401 was blown off the road and the lone occupant killed.

the story from Ottawa: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/F...tornado+their+Berwick+home/3291675/story.html

and the nasty storm that hit Windsor: http://www.windsorstar.com/cars/Storm+wreaks+havoc+east+Windsor/3294034/story.html

Last edited:

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I don't have actual statistics but I think you answered your own question! ;)

Of course there are people living in the heart of tornado alley that have never seen one either.

Unlike the ocean, where it's relatively flat, you wouldn't be able to see one here unless it's quite close.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Unlike the ocean, where it's relatively flat, you wouldn't be able to see one here unless it's quite close.

And you usually don't due to rain/debris etc.

At night just look for the green flashes. ;)

drum

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003

I'm in North Central Ohio and I've seen 2 up way to close and personal for me. I hope I never see another one thank you very much!

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
And you usually don't due to rain/debris etc.

At night just look for the green flashes. ;)

If at night, I see any sign of a tornado coming, I have about 15-30 seconds to get to the basement. Storms usually approach from the W, ranging between WNW and WSW. Once they clear the hill behind me, they're in my back yard. Plus, I'd get minimal warning once one formed near me - storms strong enough to produce tornadoes are also sufficient to block my internet access, providing I'm not on the extreme southern edge of such a storm (in which case, I don't lose internet access.)

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
If at night, I see any sign of a tornado coming, I have about 15-30 seconds to get to the basement. Storms usually approach from the W, ranging between WNW and WSW. Once they clear the hill behind me, they're in my back yard. Plus, I'd get minimal warning once one formed near me - storms strong enough to produce tornadoes are also sufficient to block my internet access, providing I'm not on the extreme southern edge of such a storm (in which case, I don't lose internet access.)

You will hear it sooner than that.
Like I said they are rare.
There are people that live in KS/OK all their life and never have seen one. Hail damage OTOH is something that occurs much more frequently affecting many more folks. You can always tell when you see their cars and it looks like Gargoyles were having sex on the roof! :D