Great Start to the Semester?

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
I've got Chem II early morning with 2 of my high school friends, then we part ways and they head off to Intro to Stats and I take English Comp II. I'd been bitching all morning about being sleepy and caffeine deprived, so I stopped at the Full Throttle machine outside the building on campus that houses most language and writing classes.

In goes two dollars, out comes a can of Full Throttle. As I started to walk away, I heard more clunking that could have definitely been another can coming down, but I dismissed it as the noises the machine usually makes after dispensing a can. Then I heard it again. I turned around and walked back to see the machine just spitting out cans of Full Throttle; the goth dude sitting on the bench near the machine was all :Q. He got up and started to watch, two cans became three, three became four, soon there were eight cans in there; I hit coin return to see if it would stop trying to jam the whole machine and maybe give me my money back, lo and behold it did! Two dollars came out in quarters from the bottom of the machine.

The area around the vending machines for this building is under construction, so there's really only one way to get there and it isn't extremely high traveled compared to the vending machines on the other side. I didn't have my bag with me (headsmack!) so I asked the guy if he liked energy drinks, he told me he'd never tried one. I tossed him one and said well today's your day, they're free; grabbed one to drink and two more, the most I could manage to carry. I came back to the machine after class, to see if the huge payout was still there, and the 4 remaining cans had only been reduced to three, so I took them all out, put them on the now unoccupied bench, and texted the friends in Stats and told them to bring a bag and get their asses over there.

People came and went, eventually a guy tried to buy Full Throttle. Apparently, it had sold out by giving all the cans to me, so I told him to try buying diet. As expected, it sold out Diet and gave him three cans, then started flashing SOLD OUT. He :D and walked away, sat down closeby and enjoyed his buy 1 get 2 free caffeine. Said loser friends finally showed up, after 20 minutes, I hit coin return, and put the guys two dollars back into the machine, and tried the Rockstar button. One, two, three, four cans of Rockstar came out. Tried the Red Full Throttle, one, two, three cans. Diet Rockstar, one two three cans.

A girl came up to try and use the machine and saw 4 caffeine starved nerds jumping around in glee and gave us a :confused: look. "Want Full Throttle for half off?" "Sure, here's a dollar" Cha-ching. At this point the machine was completely sold out, she asked us if we had any diet, SURE WE DO. Have some diet Rockstar too, on the house! The machine still thought we'd paid it for a drink and hadn't received it, my friend hit coin return two or three times impatiently. BAM, the thing turned into a fucking slot machine. It emptied out ALL THE COINS inside it, close to $10.

Before anyone chimes in with any ethics crap, the machine malfunctioned and emptied everything it had inside it. We did absolutely nothing to "hack it" or "manipulate it" other than trying every button.

Add me to your Do Not Trade lists, whatever; an online retailer once set me my order in double, about a month apart, and did not charge me twice. I called them up because it was a little more than $100 worth of merchandise, not just an extra floppy drive or something, and they had no record of it ever happening. I asked them what I could do to return the merchandise, they said they couldn't print a return shipping label because it would automatically attempt to process a replacement or refund or some other technical junk. The CS rep just told me to keep the items or pay shipping myself to send them back (close to $25).

We couldn't exactly shove the drinks back inside it, and if we hadn't taken all the drinks, someone else sure would have. Caffeine happy college student, signing off!

CLIFFS:

1. I try to buy Full Throttle
2. Machine gives me 8 cans, and my money
3. I come back after class to get what's left of the 8 cans, and watch some guy buy 1 get 3 cans of Diet
4. Friends with bookbag show up, we try to buy Rockstar, and end up emptying the whole machine
5. Machine then spits out some huge amount of coins

SUPERCLIFFS:

A Full Throttle machine on campus turned into a slot machine, AND I WON THE FREAKIN JACKPOT.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
lol, awesome. You need cliffs tho. And yeah, fvck ethics...lol. I'd have cleaned out the whole machine.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I would have done the same thing :p

I mean... YOU DESERVE LIFE IN JAIL! /atot

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I'd let taking the drinks slide - but come on dude, taking the money is legitimately stealing.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
PICBJ2-0041.jpg for the naysayers.

If you ask me, taking the money was akin to finding a $10 bill in the street and taking it; not looting a guys wallet. If we didn't take those coins, someone else would have, what difference does it make? I've gone out of my way to make sure people got their stuff back (found a wallet twice, as well as a cellphone, got all three back to their owners).

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Since energy drinks aren't worth the $2, I think you got a deal out of it. As for the money thing, it used to happen back in middle school for me, and sometimes I'd walk away with full pockets in change. Even one of the principals said to just keep it because there was nothing they could do, as the machine wouldn't hold money any longer.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Screw ethics. I was an idiot in highschool and when the vending machine that ate my effing money a few times sput out 2 packs of Smarties for the 1 I paid for, I left 1 in the machine. What the hell was wrong with me...

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124

If you ask me, taking the money was akin to finding a $10 bill in the street and taking it; not looting a guys wallet.

The money belonged to the owner of the vending machine and was technically theirs. You committed larceny of the extra cans and money.
Oh and you and your friends (and the goth guy) are guilty of conspiracy to commit larceny. ;)

AmpedSilence

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
well, let's hope the rest of your semester continues this way, but next next the story somehow involves women and :camera:'s for our sakes...

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Taking the extras on your dime is one thing, calling your buddies to clean out a known malfunctioning machine is another. You fail at having character.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: everman
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124

If you ask me, taking the money was akin to finding a $10 bill in the street and taking it; not looting a guys wallet.

The money belonged to the owner of the vending machine and was technically theirs. You committed larceny of the extra cans and money.
Oh and you and your friends (and the goth guy) are guilty of conspiracy to commit larceny. ;)

:Q Noes! On a serious note tho, do you just like the cop avatar or are you really a cop :shiftyeyes;.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
i can almost guarentee the company that owns that machine will take it away and not put another one in it's place.

vexingv

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2002
thats neat. probably makes up for all the times one has gotten screwed by losing money in vending machines.

something similar happened w/ an arcade machine when i was young. it was at a movie theater and they had an area 51 machine (old on-rails lightgun shooter) that would return coins if the coin eject button was pressed. i spent a good 30 minutes playing the game for free using the ejected quarters as credit. they also had a umk3 machine next to the area 51 machine that had free play on although the machine didn't actually flash "free play," one could press start to play for free.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: eakers
i can almost guarentee the company that owns that machine will take it away and not put another one in it's place.

doubt it. i had a soda machine in the laundry room next to my apartment as a younger me. this machine ripped me off all the time, and the final straw i told the guy that serviced it that i would take my lost money out on the machine if it ripped me off one more time. he said bullshit. it ripped me off one more time, so i took a 30oz framing hammer to it. got my money back, a couple sodas and left it open for everyone after to get a drink too. they took it away, replaced it and asked me if i had anything to do with it. of course i said no, and that was the end of it. the replacement machine worked much better and didnt steal money half the time. they wont pull it for good unless its a common issue in that location.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Pollock
Too bad energy drinks are gross.

Yeah, I once had an old roommate leave a 6-pack of Rockstar. Considering how badly the guy had trashed the room and left it for me to clean up, I figured that at least I had SOME reward for my troubles. Nope. I opened one, took a few sips, and practically gagged. There was probably 7/8s of it left when I threw it out. I forget how I got rid of the other ones. Hard to believe people PAY for that crap.